Final cuts now taking place

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Positive.
Philly and Boston will also have to get cap compliant including Pronger and Savard's cap hits.
Likely both will accomplish this by sending down any non-waiver eligible players and then calling them back up.

Yeah I just reread the LTIR info at capgeek, I see what you're saying now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
11 forwards? Couldn't we just send down Ashton and Leivo for 12 forwards, keep Rielly and have like 500k left over?

Or am I missing something?

Yeah, it's 13 forwards right now, but minus Clarkson and McLaren who are unavailable, so we're left with 11 available forwards.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
it's possibly that Henny is right and rielly / ashton are going to get 9gms a piece... perhaps more. If rielly stays up, he'll be playing limited minutes to get a feel for the NHL game and routine over the long haul.

Ashtons ELC has already started.....no game amount...

Rielly has not yet started his ELC and after the ninth game it starts....

Ashton will be likely a revolving door as he will be sent back when we have days off to keep cap space as well I can see us placing McLaren on the injury list as well to save cap space.

So on Monday after we are cap compliant, we can place McLaren on LTIR and use that cap space to call up a player so that we will have 12 forwards against Montreal.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Proud my man Ashton made it :) I'm glad he's finally made the club, now hopefully he'll slowly steadily bring out his offensive game, he has it. He just needs to get it out...and Oh I so hope he does...it would be just great.

Leivo is gone down which is a bit of meh situation but He'll do fine by getting more offensive game out.

Rielly made the team it seems...if so congrats! Let's see how you do in the next 9 games to see if it's permanent.

Shame to see Liles go down, I thought his camp was decent but alas cap space and he hasn't been the same as he was with the avs.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think it's safe to say either Bodie or Smith will be recalled if they clear wavers tomorrow. If not, it will be Broll.

They could have kept them on the roster and not exposed them to waivers by sending down Ashton and recalling him on Tuesday.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Proud my man Ashton made it :) I'm glad he's finally made the club, now hopefully he'll slowly steadily bring out his offensive game, he has it. He just needs to get it out...and Oh I so hope he does...it would be just great.

Leivo is gone down which is a bit of meh situation but He'll do fine by getting more offensive game out.

Rielly made the team it seems...if so congrats! Let's see how you do in the next 9 games to see if it's permanent.

Shame to see Liles go down, I thought his camp was decent but alas cap space and he hasn't been the same as he was with the avs.

I'm very happy for Ashton. He has been kind of a forgotten prospect around here.
So many people had written him off.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'm very happy for Ashton. He has been kind of a forgotten prospect around here.
So many people had written him off.

Agreed, so I'm very happy he just took charge and got the spot. I know he showed off his body work and aggressiveness but there's more and I really hope he brings it.

Next up is Blacker in the AHL I hope lights it up.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If they are recalled what is the cap situation?

Did a calculation with Bodie in the line up. Leafs are over the cap (by 76.67K) even when I don't include McLaren's cap hit.

Forwards:
JVR- Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Ashton-Bolland-Kulemin
Bodie-McClement-Orr
Clarkson
38.26M

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Ranger
Rielly-Franson
Fraser

Reimer - Bernier
4.7M

Buried: 2.95M
Liles

Retained Salary: .5M
Scrivens - Frattin

Buyouts: 2M
Armstrong - Tucker

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Did a calculation with Bodie in the line up. Leafs are over the cap by 76.7K if they don't put McLaren on LTIR. Once they do that, they'll be cap compliant.

Forwards:
JVR- Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Ashton-Bolland-Kulemin
Bodie-McClement-Orr
Clarkson
38.26M

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Ranger
Rielly-Franson
Fraser

Reimer - Bernier
4.7M

Buried: 2.95M
Liles

Retained Salary: .5M
Scrivens - Frattin

Buyouts: 2M
Armstrong - Tucker

I don't see the appeal with Bodie, he has no future with this team. Would much rather see a guy like Devane or Broll get a shot in that 4th line spot while McLaren is out.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I don't see the appeal with Bodie, he has no future with this team. Would much rather see a guy like Devane or Broll get a shot in that 4th line spot while McLaren is out.

I was impressed with Broll. Showed a bit more skill than I expected out of him. I'd like to see him on the 4th line.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

While he's not a key cog or anything, he looked pretty good in training camp, and going off of merit I think he did deserve to make it as a 4th line guy. But obviously, with the cap situation it just didn't work out. I wouldn't be surprised to him get called up if our bottom six runs into some injury problems.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
People often forget about cap space that it is only useful to have it if you can make moves. How many times in the past seasons have we had tons of space throughout the season but not been able to utilize it? I'd much rather ice a competitive team at the cap than a mediocre one with lots of room.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

I just edited my post because I did the calculation wrong. I did't include McLaren's cap so the Leafs are over with Bodie in the lineup regardless of McLaren being on LTIR. Smith is the only guy who fits cap wise. Bodie, Devane, Brolle, Leivo...their cap hits are all too high.

Bodie has played well in preseason but I understand why you don't see the appeal. Most GMs don't either which is why he's failed to be a regular NHLer. He's probably a great depth guy but not someone who would stick long term with the team.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Agreed, so I'm very happy he just took charge and got the spot. I know he showed off his body work and aggressiveness but there's more and I really hope he brings it.

Next up is Blacker in the AHL I hope lights it up.

This is Blacker's make or break season. He will likely be waiver eligible next year and he is very close to being passed by Percy and MacWilliam.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
People often forget about cap space that it is only useful to have it if you can make moves. How many times in the past seasons have we had tons of space throughout the season but not been able to utilize it? I'd much rather ice a competitive team at the cap than a mediocre one with lots of room.

Suspended players cap hits do not come off the cap, nor do short term injuries, ya always want some cap space to wiggle the wiggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad