Value of: Filip Forsberg

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I was going to make a Value of Forsberg to Boston thread, but then I realized that Boston has nothing of value to trade to Nashville at least worth Forsberg.

So considering NSH is willing to trade anyone not named Josi, Ellis, or Rinne. Have at it.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
A lot. An A+ prospect or a really good contributing NHL 18-23 with big upside would need to come back.

We don't "need" to trade Forsberg, we can move our other players and get some nice pieces back.

It'd be easier going after Arvidsson or Arvidsson 50% retained.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't believe the Preds will trade Forsberg, not unless he turns down a contract extension this off-season anyway.

But if we were going to, it would have to include a young forward who is thought to have a good chance of being a 1st line player for us. Along with various other pieces of insurance. For many teams, that will mean their single best prospect+stuff. It won't just be solid youngsters and a late 1st. The prospect has to have perceived NHL star potential. And many teams would understandably not want to pay that price, especially if they are only looking at Forsberg as a 1.5 year player. So I doubt very much that he will be traded. Or that anybody here will make a sufficiently interesting offer.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I don't believe the Preds will trade Forsberg, not unless he turns down a contract extension this off-season anyway.

But if we were going to, it would have to include a young forward who is thought to have a good chance of being a 1st line player for us. Along with various other pieces of insurance. For many teams, that will mean their single best prospect+stuff. It won't just be solid youngsters and a late 1st. The prospect has to have perceived NHL star potential. And many teams would understandably not want to pay that price, especially if they are only looking at Forsberg as a 1.5 year player. So I doubt very much that he will be traded. Or that anybody here will make a sufficiently interesting offer.

I think the ideal situation would be a team with a fantastic, A+ prospect but who has a core in win-now mode. Not sure anyone like that is out there, though.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I think the ideal situation would be a team with a fantastic, A+ prospect but who has a core in win-now mode. Not sure anyone like that is out there, though.

Colorado with Byram comes to mind. But as said above I highly doubt they are willing to part ways with him.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Colorado with Byram comes to mind. But as said above I highly doubt they are willing to part ways with him.

Yeah I agree, I doubt they would trade him. Their winger group already seems pretty good and their core is still young.

But if the Bruins, for example, had a prospect maybe a bit worse than Byram, I think that would be the kind of needed trade.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
It's going to take more than anyone is willing to give up. Just because the Freidman piece doesn't list him as "untouchable" doesn't mean he's on the block and we are 100% moving him.

There is not a need to move him even if we are rebuilding/retooling/whatever you want to call it. But if someone comes in and offers the moon then we'd take it.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Forsberg for Broberg
Stone cost the Knights Brannstrom and a 2nd. I would think Forsberg would be similar. The Sens were also in a situation where they had to move Stone or lose him for nothing, so that could have dropped his price. Broberg may be a piece that interests Nashville but it wouldn't be the only piece.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Edmonton would have to start with Holloway. But it will come down to the same things that make a trade basically impossible for most teams. Then they'd have to clear cap, and we don't want your cap dump, and if you try to stack up even more pieces to bribe us to take a cap dump, then it's just going to make the price go even higher, and you already didn't like the price. So it's not going to work.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm not sure the partners fit, but man I would love to see Forsberg playing in a top 6 right behind Pastrnak. There's some similarities in their game. I wish Forsberg would've taken the same leap Pastrnak did as he developed, and maybe he would've if he was in a different environment.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Nashville has to decide if 1) he's going to re-sign 2) if they want to pay what he's going to ask for ($8/8years).

I'd argue that if they're going to rebuild, then 8 years for a guy who will be 28 is a bad investment but management will have a better grasp of his work habits.

If they decide they don't want to pay him that, then his value will be at its peak at this deadline IMO.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm sure there is no disputing that Forsberg is our best forward, and he's probably our 2nd-best player (behind Josi). And the way the Predators have locked up other players recently, I think Forsberg is going to be perfectly within his rights therefore to ask for, and receive, an 8-year $8.5M AAV extension from us. It wouldn't make any sense for the Preds to deny him that, given what they've signed our other core players for recently.

And we certainly have no cap constraints that would prohibit us from making that extension offer.

So in my mind, the only thing that could stand in the way of this happening is if Forsberg himself simply wants to go somewhere else. I don't know if he'll be able to land any better contract than what we would offer, but maybe he would just want a change of scenery or chase a championship somewhere else rather than sign on to be a Preds lifer.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Penguins: Jason Zucker, Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Joel Blomquist, 2022 1st Round Pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad