Confirmed with Link: Filip Forsberg re-signs 8 years x $8.5 million

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
i mention that package as a straight hockey trade. players for players. i don’t see any of tomasino, tolvanen, or glass matching the ES production. i could see a jump up from trenin and Jeannot.

The most likely (probable) is that Josi and Duchene at the least regress a bit. Lots of questions where the production is actually going to come from to get where we want to be.

Even as a straight hockey trade, Joey out creates a need for 50+ points from a top six center coming back just to replace his performance.

No matter what, we need Glass, Tomasino, and Tolvanen to all increase their performance level just to account for the 23 ES goals worth of scoring not returning next season.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
No matter what, we need Glass, Tomasino, and Tolvanen to all increase their performance level just to account for the 23 ES goals worth of scoring not returning next season.
Tomasino having finally got his legs under him will likely have a jump this year.

Glass and Tolvanen are the two question marks this season. Also, we don't know if someone like Afanasayev, Svechkov, or another is going to show-up on the scene this year in training camp and light it up.

Still a very young team with a lot of unknowns going into training camp.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You can finally stop sweating it after all of your guarantees ;)
Even acknowledging the wink I can honestly say I never came close to sweating this one. It was in the bank from Day 1. I think almost everybody else knew it too no matter how much fun they might have had fretting about it instead.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I get what sissons brings to the table but you would think that getting rid of his almost 3 million dollar contract would help bring in a solid top 6 player. Besides his face off ability he felt like the 3rd wheel to jeannot and trenin. Not saying I want to get rid of sissons I’m just saying it’s an option.
Wonder if Vancouver would do a fabbro-garland swap? That would a nice trade for us to get a top 6 player. Just thinking out loud

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I assume it'll be a veteran forward who drags his feet and gets signed late. I would say David Perron would be the perfect option for this team for a short deal if it worked out. I agree, we can't go big fish long term without a significant piece going out.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
What about Reilly Smith for 2nd line or trying to see if one of these older centers wants to skate 1 more year and let Granlund move over.

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
I assume it'll be a veteran forward who drags his feet and gets signed late. I would say David Perron would be the perfect option for this team for a short deal if it worked out. I agree, we can't go big fish long term without a significant piece going out.
That is exactly who I was thinking. This might actually turn into a decent team, just goes to show the fine line between success and failure.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The other nice thing is it feels like most other teams in the Central are losing guys this offseason. Colorado, Minnesota, and St. Louis are all on paper worse next season than they were this year, whereas we should be better. Colorado will still be the clear favorite but we’ve at least closed the gap some and I think we will be up there with St. Louis/Minnesota fighting for the second spot next season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh trust me, we can't have nice things. Someone could gift us all $1000 and we'd have folks complain about the wrapping paper.
Reminds me of that one scene with Captain Hadley in The Shawshank Redemption. Being so bitter and snappy because of all the taxes he's going to have to pay on the thousands of dollars he just unexpectedly inherited.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well glad to be wrong about him moving on. Price ends up being close to what we figured. Would have rather it been around 8 but 8.5 ain't bad enough to get tore up over. Now the pressure from the fan base will be on him to produce because now he is one of the big money guys.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He was already making 6 million the last 6 years so he has been a "big money guy"

But, for real, we need him to have a first year on his new contract like Josi, not a first year on his new contract like Duchene

Reactions: Enoch and bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He was already making 6 million the last 6 years so he has been a "big money guy"

But, for real, we need him to have a first year on his new contract like Josi, not a first year on his new contract like Duchene
Nah 6 is kind of still in that middle ground. He will have larger expectations on him now.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Nah 6 is kind of still in that middle ground. He will have larger expectations on him now.
He’s always had high expectations, even before we were sure he could deliver. We’ve been rabid about offensive production forever. Anybody with a whiff of o talent gets expectations heaped on them by us.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He’s always had high expectations, even before we were sure he could deliver. We’ve been rabid about offensive production forever. Anybody with a whiff of o talent gets expectations heaped on them by us.
Just watch what I mean. General fans hoped Forsberg would break 30g a year, now it will be expected and if he doesn't they will say he sucks.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well glad to be wrong about him moving on. Price ends up being close to what we figured. Would have rather it been around 8 but 8.5 ain't bad enough to get tore up over. Now the pressure from the fan base will be on him to produce because now he is one of the big money guys.
It will be interesting to see what Poile gave up in terms of NTC and loading/bonuses. Because I think there is a threshold there where $8.5M is still a little too much if he really gave up a lot of those perks also.

$8.5M sounds ok to me if he gave Forsberg say a 10-team NTC and $3-5M of signing bonus with a respectable front-load that isn't totally buyout-proof. It's the kind of AAV that works with a relatively low bar of perks IMHO. If he gave him full NMC/NTC protection and even bigger bonuses and buyout-proof loading, then that AAV ought to have snuck in a little under $8M IMHO. :dunno:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

To be fair, Duchene was playing with 3rd line talent. When he got paired with 1st line talents, all of them stepped up. As long as 9 and 95 are together, they'll produce.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad