Player Discussion Filip Chytil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
I Agree, unless he gets more time on a diff line he should be sent down to build confidence, get TOI and play together with future teammates.

Reactions: Kovalev27

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think there is any need for him to play in the AHL now that his 10 games have passed. He's already shown that he can be a very good AHL player. I don't think he will learn anything being a PPG player at a lesser level. For every player that you can point as being "ruined" by playing limited minutes in the NHL early I'm sure you can find another that turned out just fine. He can learn more just getting acclimated to the NHL and hopefully eventually get more ice time. Either way McLeod shouldn't be on the team playing with him.

Anyway, outside of Zibanejad and McLeod among forward, there is only a 2 min 5v5 TOI difference/game between their most and least TOI players.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Not sure he needs to be in the AHL and I can boogie with why maybe he went to the 4L to get him back at center but they need to find a way to get him legitimate minutes with legitimate NHL guys. If not, then send him down and bring Foggy up.

Reactions: Ori

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think there is any need for him to play in the AHL now that his 10 games have passed. He's already shown that he can be a very good AHL player. I don't think he will learn anything being a PPG player at a lesser level. For every player that you can point as being "ruined" by playing limited minutes in the NHL early I'm sure you can find another that turned out just fine. He can learn more just getting acclimated to the NHL and hopefully eventually get more ice time. Either way McLeod shouldn't be on the team playing with him.

Anyway, outside of Zibanejad and McLeod among forward, there is only a 2 min 5v5 TOI difference/game between their most and least TOI players.

I think one reason would be to not have him on the NHL roster for 40 NHL game days. That is the threshold for whether or not this season counts towards 1 of the 7 accrued NHL seasons he'd need to reach UFA status. Since he is 19 he either need to reach 7 of those seasons or to be 27 year old to reach UFA status.

I don't think there is any benefit to him reaching UFA at age 26 instead of 27 given this is a rebuilding season and he is not playing a whole lot, but I assume either I am wrong or the Rangers thought it all out already and I am missing something.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Hes on the power play so he isn't scratched. But come on, Howden out and he still can't get top 9 minutes? Smh

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think one reason would be to not have him on the NHL roster for 40 NHL game days. That is the threshold for whether or not this season counts towards 1 of the 7 accrued NHL seasons he'd need to reach UFA status. Since he is 19 he either need to reach 7 of those seasons or to be 27 year old to reach UFA status.

I don't think there is any benefit to him reaching UFA at age 26 instead of 27 given this is a rebuilding season and he is not playing a whole lot, but I assume either I am wrong or the Rangers thought it all out already and I am missing something.

It's not going to matter. Either Chytil's next contract will expire when he's a UFA or he will be a bust (and I think it will be the former). They're not bridging him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
That’s a joke. Howden out and he’s still on the 4th line?

No way enough of this already do your job gorton.

Chytil's been playing well on the 4th line. Maybe the coach doesn't want to interrupt the good habits he's creating just yet. Understandable, I think.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's not going to matter. Either Chytil's next contract will expire when he's a UFA or he will be a bust (and I think it will be the former). They're not bridging him.

So then his 26 year old season will cost the same whether he is slated to be a UFA or RFA for it as long as it's wrapped up in a longer contract?

Seems like if I were his agent I'd probably demand more for that UFA year than I would if it was a RFA year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So then his 26 year old season will cost the same whether he is slated to be a UFA or RFA for it as long as it's wrapped up in a longer contract?

Seems like if I were his agent I'd probably demand more for that UFA year than I would if it was a RFA year.

That's not the way long-term 2nd contracts have been working. The leverage of the UFA season doesn't seem to be as important as cost vs production on those deals.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That's not the way long-term 2nd contracts have been working. The leverage of the UFA season doesn't seem to be as important as cost vs production on those deals.

Just to try to understand what you are saying,

Chytil is already open to signing away how many of his UFA years off his entry level?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Just to try to understand what you are saying,

Chytil is already open to signing away how many of his UFA years off his entry level?

If his second contract is max term, it will take him to 29. So 2 or 3, depending on the rest of this year (I'd assume 2).

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If his second contract is max term, it will take him to 29. So 2 or 3, depending on the rest of this year (I'd assume 2).

So they are letting him have the option of hitting the open market as a 28 year old?

And what if he says he will not sign for 6 or 7 years? Are they going to be okay if he holds out as a non arbitration eligible RFA without offering a bridge deal of some type?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah really wouldn’t want to interrupt that chemistry and 8 mins a night.

That literally has nothing to do with what I said.

So they are letting him have the option of hitting the open market as a 28 year old?

And what if he says he will not sign for 6 or 7 years? Are they going to be okay if he holds out as a non arbitration eligible RFA without offering a bridge deal of some type?

Pretty much all of the better players are looking at having their first time as UFAs be sometime between 27 and 29 now. Most of them never even make it there. Seguin, for example. You don't see a lot of top-end players signing 2-4 year second contracts and then signing long-term third contracts as RFAs that expire when they're 30-31. That's the nature of signing guys to long-term deals off their ELC. The benefit to it is that you are getting them locked in for their most productive seasons and you can plan long-term around that. There's been a shift.

Also, that he *might* hold out sometime in the nebulous future really has no bearing on this. For one thing, no GM is ever going to negotiate thinking that he won't be able to make the next deal happen. Too much ego. For another, you can't have a solid team building plan that way.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
More and more he’s looking like a supremely talented player who might not put it all together. I’m not writing him off, and I’m well aware of his age and that players develop at different rates, but I’m not as bullish on him as I was. The trajectory just doesn’t leave me thinking “wow”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad