Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Can we have any young top drafted forward in this franchise meet or exceed expectations on the scoresheet?

I know they are all very young. But it seems like every team has one or two.

Getting a little frustrating I must admit

expect more of this when they try to resign strome and our 1 and 2 OA picks are locked out of 1PP time for the next 4-5 years.
For sure those 2 youngsters need to play better and have things to work on, but they are going to need the time/opportunities to do so as well.
Kakko has stepped up this year and while the scoring is slowly coming, overall he’s played very well in taking a bigger overall role here,
That doesn’t happen if we still have Buchnevich here for another season.
I’m all for cutting strome loose and trying to bring in a cheap young kid with some talent. A lot of fans worried about losing the strome/panarin chemistry.
Panarin will survive, even if he’s a 80-90 pt player instead of more with strome.
Resigning strome is going to cause a ripple effect throughout the line up. It robs LaF/Kakko out of any meaningful PP time with Fox/Zibby/ Panarin.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
expect more of this when they try to resign strome and our 1 and 2 OA picks are locked out of 1PP time for the next 4-5 years.
For sure those 2 youngsters need to play better and have things to work on, but they are going to need the time/opportunities to do so as well.
Kakko has stepped up this year and while the scoring is slowly coming, overall he’s played very well in taking a bigger overall role here,

What does Buchnevich have to do with Kakko? Their second line RW right now is Dryden Hunt. There is plenty of room for both of them in the top 6.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
What does Buchnevich have to do with Kakko? Their second line RW right now is Dryden Hunt. There is plenty of room for both of them in the top 6.
Not really. Things were supposed to be pretty different.
LaFs skating not being up to snuff and Blais injury just basically compounded the problem.
Gallant has said since preseason he had no problem moving one of LaF/Kreider to RW.
Lafs skating problem and Zibbys slow start basically ruined that plan.

forget Hunt, he’s a 4th liner plugging in an injury role.

with Buch still at RW, it would have locked Kakko into a 3rd line role pretty much.
We all know KZB and Panarin-Strome- insert whoever works ( Probably Blais style wise) would have got the brunt of the top 6 minutes

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not really. Things were supposed to be pretty different.
LaFs skating not being up to snuff and Blais injury just basically compounded the problem.
Gallant has said since preseason he had no problem moving one of LaF/Kreider to RW.
Lafs skating problem and Zibbys slow start basically ruined that plan.

forget Hunt, he’s a 4th liner plugging in an injury role.

Blais has nothing to do with Kakko either. He's a 3rd or 4th line wing. Laf said he's not comfortable on RW and the problem isn't his skating. It's the same problem for him at LW. He doesn't produce at one position and not the other. He hasn't produced at either. This teams came into the year with among the worst RW depth in the league and it hasn't changed. If Buchnevich was on this team not a thing would change with regards to Kakkos role. He'd still be L1 or L2 RW and PP2.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Im not really interested in a 3C who can’t put up points, win face offs, or play defense... He’s becoming a real blah player for me. I’d listen to offers, maybe even try him at wing for a stint. You can play Barron or Rooney short term at 3C to see what Chytil can do in that wing role.

He’s our draft pick so he basically gets a free pass for doing the negative things Strome does without the near point per game production.

What was Strome doing at 22?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I realize I've been one of Chytil's biggest boosters on here, but I've also been fine with admitting when he hasn't played well. The last few games, the criticism of Chytil on these boards has gone through the roof, though, and honestly I feel like we're watching different games. Chytil was one of our better players last night. He was engaged all night--kept possession in the offensive zone, played a great support game on defense all night long, and had three great opportunities that missed because of two great defensive deflections and a solid save from the goalie. Yet in the GDT it was post after post about how he can't hit the net. Like...they were deflected. The Preds were doing that to everyone all game long. He also had 3 points in the previous two games going into last night's game. He's been doing really well recently, but to read this thread, you'd think he was scoring two own goals per game or something. I will never understand this board's psychological need to select a player to just irrationally hate every season. Especially in a season like this one, where things are generally going great and even better should be coming down the line.

I would like to see Kreider and Kakko with Chytil, and Gaut and Laf with Zib. Kakko creates a ton of space, which would benefit both Chytil and Kreider, while Gaut/Laf are great at keeping sustained possession in the offensive zone, which would benefit Zibanejad and hopefully get him going.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Kakko: Buchy?

Buch: Who dis?

Kakko: It's Kaapo, man.

Buch: Oh hai! How you doing, brother?!

Kakko: I'm doing ok. Managing my Celiac and my acne. Hey, i was wondering if you have any pointers on playing with Mika and Kreids.

Buch: For you, man, anything.

Kakko: Mind if we Zoom? I have videos, maybe I can share my screen?

Buch: Oh, hey, man, I thought this was gonna be a quick thing. Thing is, i got a whole daytrip to the Arch planned with my day off, y'know? How about tomorrow? Send me a Zoom invite. Can't wait! I'll talk to you, brother!

Reactions: NYR94

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Blais has nothing to do with Kakko either. He's a 3rd or 4th line wing. Laf said he's not comfortable on RW and the problem isn't his skating. It's the same problem for him at LW. He doesn't produce at one position and not the other. He hasn't produced at either. This teams came into the year with among the worst RW depth in the league and it hasn't changed. If Buchnevich was on this team not a thing would change with regards to Kakkos role. He'd still be L1 or L2 RW and PP2.
No.
While Buch was mainly a cap casualty, it was about give the kids a greater role as well. No one, at least on here could have predicted kravy freaking out and leaving again.
Nor Blais having a torn ACL.
The only think many saw from last season was that panarin/strome didn’t mesh well with kakko
They wanted kakko taking on a larger role and kravy/Blais/Gauthier fighting for the last 2 spots.
Reaves was being paid 1.75 he’s was always your everyday 4th line RW.
Blais was also likely brought in to play with panarin strome. I’ve said since we traded for him, he has better puck skills then your run of the mill 3rd line banger and seems to fit the mold of the player that excels playing with bread and strome

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I would like to see Kreider and Kakko with Chytil, and Gaut and Laf with Zib. Kakko creates a ton of space, which would benefit both Chytil and Kreider, while Gaut/Laf are great at keeping sustained possession in the offensive zone, which would benefit Zibanejad and hopefully get him going.

Kreider Chytil Kakko is a good balanced line, we saw that last season before Kreider's back injury ended his season. But swapping 1C Zib with 3C Chytil is kind of funny, not that I would mind this experiment.

Reactions: tomobson

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider Chytil Kakko is a good balanced line, we saw that last season before Kreider's back injury ended his season. But swapping 1C Zib with 3C Chytil is kind of funny, not that I would mind this experiment.
Mind as well try it now while Zibby isn’t really shooting the puck and Kreider has seemed to cool off in the goal a game dept.
Whatever line Zibby is centering, it’s going to be our defacto 1st line with what he’s making lol.
Just think of it as the 3rd line getting increased minutes.....

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I guess, but it would be for 5 on 5, where there's a bit less difference in how those 1st and 3rd lines play/produce. Kreider's not losing his PP1 slot anytime soon. I just think those two sets of players would complement each other well.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I think Chytil's been good--probably better than ever, especially game over game consistency. But just like last year was probably a scoring rate above his means, this season he's got an on-ice sh% of 5.62 which is good for 251st among forwards (min. 250mins) and dead last on our team.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
They need to put themselves in a position, then.

The bigger concern for me is that this is just what he is.
I was referring to developing players at the NHL level. Of course they should be able to develop any number of players as an organization, either internally or via other leagues and teams.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There probably will come a point where Gallant/another future coach who says, "ok, you're going to be a north-south player" and grow him that way.
He should be molding his game after Chris Kreider rather than…whoever it is he’s emulating now.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Bit of a dogpile going on here and in the PGT. Just a few thoughts on the current trends from one of the bigger Chytil boosters on the board.
  1. Chytil's play has certainly trailed off since his recent peak (which would be just before the injury and immediately after coming back). It seems like he's lost some confidence offensively, and when that happens, he falls back into his "get the puck, shoot the puck" mentality. Hopefully, he can work his way back out of it. He and Kakko had a good shift together late in the game. They might consider putting them together again if the lines are being shuffled.
  2. I don't quite understand the mentality where we are heaping criticism on a player that is creating scoring chances and not finishing rather than players that are not creating chances.
  3. Purely going off the eye test and no fancy stats, it seems like he's being more responsible in his own zone. I'd be curious to see if the analytics bear that out.
  4. The bigger point I want to make (and this applies to Kakko as well as Chytil) is that we seem to be expecting straight-line development. When the young guys start playing well, we want that to be their new level of play from here on out. That's not always how it works. There will still be ups and downs, hot streaks and cold streaks. Sometimes, it is taking a step forward and then two steps back. That's where the patience comes in. They don't all develop like Fox.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I’m all for cutting strome loose and trying to bring in a cheap young kid with some talent. A lot of fans worried about losing the strome/panarin chemistry.
Panarin will survive, even if he’s a 80-90 pt player instead of more with strome.
Resigning strome is going to cause a ripple effect throughout the line up. It robs LaF/Kakko out of any meaningful PP time with Fox/Zibby/ Panarin.

I gotta be honest. This is crazy talk.

I would take Buch 10/10. times over Kakko and his potential.

Imagine this team with Buch? Considering the extensions doled out, this team’s window is now and for the next 2 years. At 26, Buchnevich fits in line there.

He has 23 pts in 26 games. 8 of those points are on the PP, which is a fair criticism, but again…neither Kakko or LaFreinere should be playing over Kreider, Panarin, or Zibanejad on PP1.

Also, Kakko’s production hasn’t increased. He’s on, literally, the exact same 0.35 ppg pace he was in the past 2 years.

It does look like he’s on a little more this year, but homey just can’t score the puck. It’s a problem.

I’m with the original posters opinion. It would be nice to finally have 1 sure fire forward stud come from the system. Chytil, Kakko, and Lafreniere are all MASSIVE disappointments to date. That’s just the truth.

And what makes it worse? We shipped away a stud, that we developed, in his prime, because we thought these other young dudes would be able to replace his protection…and it hasn’t been close.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think it’s time to move Chytil to wing. 40% face offs isn’t cutting it. He also lacks the vision to facilitate the puck to his wingers. I think it’s time to try him on wing and let him use his size and speed. Maybe try him with Panarin and Strome. The Hunt experiment needs to end already.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I gotta be honest. This is crazy talk.

I would take Buch 10/10. times over Kakko and his potential.

Imagine this team with Buch? Considering the extensions doled out, this team’s window is now and for the next 2 years. At 26, Buchnevich fits in line there.

He has 23 pts in 26 games. 8 of those points are on the PP, which is a fair criticism, but again…neither Kakko or LaFreinere should be playing over Kreider, Panarin, or Zibanejad on PP1.

Also, Kakko’s production hasn’t increased. He’s on, literally, the exact same 0.35 ppg pace he was in the past 2 years.

It does look like he’s on a little more this year, but homey just can’t score the puck. It’s a problem.

I’m with the original posters opinion. It would be nice to finally have 1 sure fire forward stud come from the system. Chytil, Kakko, and Lafreniere are all MASSIVE disappointments to date. That’s just the truth.

And what makes it worse? We shipped away a stud, that we developed, in his prime, because we thought these other young dudes would be able to replace his protection…and it hasn’t been close.

I agree kakko, LaF, and chytil are all underperforming numbers/ production wise.
This team was likely a playoff contender in this year. If you keep Buch in the fold knowing your not going to resign him what do you do? Deal him in the middle of a playoff run?
They knew keeping him in the cards long term wasn’t a viable option. They dealt him hoping that the kids, mainly kakko/krav/ Blais would compete on the right side for bigger roles. Gauthier was also still here as an extra. Reaves was paid/brought in to be an everyday 4th liner.
Kravy freaking out and Blais torn ACL makes things look a lot worse now, especially that kakko hasn’t taken a massive step to replace most of buchs production.
Once kreider was signed and kakko/LaF was drafted, it put a clock on how long Buch was going to be a ranger.
Kakko looks better this season, even his 1st 10 GMs with no points, he looked better. But he’s production is certainly below what everyone was expecting from him so far

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I agree kakko, LaF, and chytil are all underperforming numbers/ production wise.
This team was likely a playoff contender in this year. If you keep Buch in the fold knowing your not going to resign him what do you do? Deal him in the middle of a playoff run?
They knew keeping him in the cards long term wasn’t a viable option. They dealt him hoping that the kids, mainly kakko/krav/ Blais would compete on the right side for bigger roles. Gauthier was also still here as an extra. Reaves was paid/brought in to be an everyday 4th liner.
Kravy freaking out and Blais torn ACL makes things look a lot worse now, especially that kakko hasn’t taken a massive step to replace most of buchs production.
Once kreider was signed and kakko/LaF was drafted, it put a clock on how long Buch was going to be a ranger.
Kakko looks better this season, even his 1st 10 GMs with no points, he looked better. But he’s production is certainly below what everyone was expecting from him so far
It’s beyond just below what people expected from him so far. If we just imagined this was actually his first season, he’d still be looking like a massive disappointment. He was penciled in for 70pts his rookie season. I don’t care how many flashes he shows, if he puts up 30pts in his 3rd season that would be just pathetic

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad