Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
I was being sarcastic. I am literally defending Chytil in my every other post. :laugh:

How much time difference do you think Chytil will get playing 5v5 on the 2nd line vs 3rd?

Maybe 30 seconds?

if we want to get him more involved and on the ice more the move is swapping him and Strome on the power play. That’s where you will see the big difference

look at last night he was on line 2 played basically the same as McKegg and Rooney. Why? Because those two played on the pk and he played on PP2

Way to much is made over what lines people are playing on 5v5. The top 9 will be rotated evenly 5v5

Last edited:

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
i wasn't aware that Chytil seems to have a good shot. Did he work on that this off season or he did he always had that skill? Were those 3 scores off slap shots?

question is does he have a good shot or like to shoot?

either way it’s a player type we are desperate for.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
question is does he have a good shot or like to shoot?

either way it’s a player type we are desperate for.
he has a great shot but putting himself in position to shoot has been the question. He should be living in the slot when he's playing with guys like Panarin

Reactions: Smart Alek

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
For all Chytil's talent (1) he's played ~ 200 NHL games and still hasn't really established himself, & (2) it's not clear yet if he is a center or a wing. Evey time he flashes his considerable talent many jump on his bandwagon. He is still a ways from proving he is a solid 60point guy like Strome.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
he has a great shot but putting himself in position to shoot has been the question. He should be living in the slot when he's playing with guys like Panarin

Makes sense, forget what game it was maybe preseason he was unloading quick from the slot

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Makes sense, forget what game it was maybe preseason he was unloading quick from the slot
We need players like Geuntzel or for some of our 'shooters' to emulate what he does so well. Finding soft spots in high scoring areas, making yourself an option for your linemates. We don't do that nearly enough.

Similar issue plagues us on the PP. We seem to not understand how to create/open up shooting lanes between the dots or in the slot; or we dont have the players willing to commit. Zibs and Panarin one-timing from low% areas on the perimeter is not what I'm talking about.

tl;dr Chytil can be a great goal scorer if he puts himself in position to be a threat... That potential could easily be realized with our wingers

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We need players like Geuntzel or for some of our 'shooters' to emulate what he does so well. Finding soft spots in high scoring areas, making yourself an option for your linemates. We don't do that nearly enough.
Exactly what Blais did last night, went to the slot/front of the net and Foxyclean found him, even though Blais was only half a step ahead of the smashville player. Half a step is all you need if you're ready to make a play as soon as the puck hits your stick which Blais was.

Quick stops and changing skating trajectories at just the right time before the D can recover is a skill I've noticed the great scorers have. Ovi used to bull his way to scoring chances with the puck on his stick, and now he's smartened up, lets the young guys do the hard work while he finds the soft spot with slick agility and smart moves and gets lost in the zone but near the net for 1-2 seconds, his teamates manage to find him in that 1-2 second interval of him being open, and then is able to use his elite shot to consistently score. It's an art with him and his linemates, they work so well together and have such great timing.

So many of our guys seem hesitant to force that issue and get the puck to the slot/front of the net unless the guy is wide open AF, which happens 1-2 a game max.

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Exactly what Blais did last night, went to the slot/front of the net and Foxyclean found him, even though Blais was only half a step ahead of the smashville player. Half a step is all you need if you're ready to make a play as soon as the puck hits your stick which Blais was.

Quick stops and changing skating trajectories at just the right time before the D can recover is a skill I've noticed the great scorers have. Ovi used to bull his way to scoring chances with the puck on his stick, and now he's smartened up, lets the young guys do the hard work while he finds the soft spot with slick agility and smart moves and gets lost in the zone but near the net for 1-2 seconds, his teamates manage to find him in that 1-2 second interval of him being open, and then is able to use his elite shot to consistently score. It's an art with him and his linemates, they work so well together and have such great timing.

So many of our guys seem hesitant to force that issue and get the puck to the slot/front of the net unless the guy is wide open AF, which happens 1-2 a game max.
That's where Chytil has a failing grade. It's always been my gripe.

IMO he's really bad without the puck. He's good on the forecheck but when his linemates have the puck, he's borderline terrible imo. Doesn't know how to get open and often smothers the puck carrier, eliminating their space and time. Even if/when he has the puck, the blinders go up way too often.

p.s. I want Chytil to succeed. I think he has great tools. dont take it personal

Reactions: bleedblue94

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
For all Chytil's talent (1) he's played ~ 200 NHL games and still hasn't really established himself, & (2) it's not clear yet if he is a center or a wing. Evey time he flashes his considerable talent many jump on his bandwagon. He is still a ways from proving he is a solid 60point guy like Strome.
Chytil is an unproven mystery while Strome is a solid 60 point guy who has never scored 60 points?

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020

Similar issue plagues us on the PP. We seem to not understand how to create/open up shooting lanes between the dots or in the slot; or we dont have the players willing to commit. Zibs and Panarin one-timing from low% areas on the perimeter is not what I'm talking about.

tl;dr Chytil can be a great goal scorer if he puts himself in position to be a threat... That potential could easily be realized with our wingers

what would your thoughts be on picking up a rental like Gaudreau in some sort of Kravatzov, one of our 2nds as a rental to help teach the young guns? (Is this enough? Overpayment)

I know it’s not going to be popular on this board since it’s a board around the future of hockey over valuing prospects.

But it could really help boost confidence in the young guys who want to be here, and help teach them a ton.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Despite being a very patient fan with young talent, I can’t help but be extremely disappointed with Chytil so far. I know he’s still young and has room for growth...

But I’m not seeing much. I don’t see top-6 here. And he doesn’t have the game to be an effective bottom 6 guy.

The two guys that have disappointed me most this short season is Chytil and Mika.

Panarin hasn’t been himself, yet he’s producing. KK, despite his lack of points, and a bad game tonight, has done everything but score in numerous games. And Laf is still in his rookie season as far as I’m concerned.

Mika and Chytil have been flat out awful thus far. Chytil looked like shit in the preseason too except for that last game. Despite having tree trunks as legs he somehow manages to spend more time on his ass than on his skates.

He’s not a center. His defensive game couldn’t punch its way out of a wet paper bag, with scissors in its hands. Most of his passes get tipped, intercepted, or deflected. He doesn’t use his speed and strength to drive to the net.

Chytil is literally sucking ass in pretty much every aspect of the game so far this season, when we’re all hoping/expecting some sort of breakout.

Every single addition has out-performed him. Goodrow. Blais. Nemeth and his tremendous blocks. Reaves. Hunt by a f***ing mile.

Bench this kid a few games. He needs to wake up. He literally passes on opportunities to hit players in situations that could create turnovers.

Chytil is a f***ing submissive beta hockey player and I’m done waiting for him to break out. I’ve given up on this bitch of a hockey plater.

Nice guys don’t win Cups. Warriors do. Chytil isn’t the answer that we’re looking for at 2C or 3C longterm and short term.

My GF just really pissed me off so I’m admittedly being harsher than I should.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Despite being a very patient fan with young talent, I can’t help but be extremely disappointed with Chytil so far. I know he’s still young and has room for growth...

But I’m not seeing much. I don’t see top-6 here. And he doesn’t have the game to be an effective bottom 6 guy.

The two guys that have disappointed me most this short season is Chytil and Mika.

Panarin hasn’t been himself, yet he’s producing. KK, despite his lack of points, and a bad game tonight, has done everything but score in numerous games. And Laf is still in his rookie season as far as I’m concerned.

Mika and Chytil have been flat out awful thus far. Chytil looked like shit in the preseason too except for that last game. Despite having tree trunks as legs he somehow manages to spend more time on his ass than on his skates.

He’s not a center. His defensive game couldn’t punch its way out of a wet paper bag, with scissors in its hands. Most of his passes get tipped, intercepted, or deflected. He doesn’t use his speed and strength to drive to the net.

Chytil is literally sucking ass in pretty much every aspect of the game so far this season, when we’re all hoping/expecting some sort of breakout.

Every single addition has out-performed him. Goodrow. Blais. Nemeth and his tremendous blocks. Reaves. Hunt by a f***ing mile.

Bench this kid a few games. He needs to wake up. He literally passes on opportunities to hit players in situations that could create turnovers.

Chytil is a f***ing submissive beta hockey player and I’m done waiting for him to break out. I’ve given up on this bitch of a hockey plater.

Nice guys don’t win Cups. Warriors do. Chytil isn’t the answer that we’re looking for at 2C or 3C longterm and short term.

My GF just really pissed me off so I’m admittedly being harsher than I should.
I love how you get progressively harsher on him as the post goes on :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Have to agree, Chytil has been brutal to start this season and it's getting old now. He is starting his fourth full season and it doesn't look like he is progressing at all. 1 point in the first 9 games is not good...at all.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
That's where Chytil has a failing grade. It's always been my gripe.

IMO he's really bad without the puck. He's good on the forecheck but when his linemates have the puck, he's borderline terrible imo. Doesn't know how to get open and often smothers the puck carrier, eliminating their space and time. Even if/when he has the puck, the blinders go up way too often.

p.s. I want Chytil to succeed. I think he has great tools. dont take it personal

I've noticed this as well. I was attributing it to the fact that he is almost never with the same guys for long. The season is 9 games old, and Chytil is already on his 3rd different line combination. I'm less concerned with minutes (though I'd like to see him get more of that as well) than I am with consistent line-mates. I'd love to see if the kid could get into a rhythm with a pair of wingers so they can anticipate each other.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the points aren't there yet (like they're not for the whole damn team) but he's been absolutely electric since he got back from injury. an absolute demon on the forecheck and he seems to have developed positional awareness overnight. I've never seen him play like this, even at his best.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
the points aren't there yet (like they're not for the whole damn team) but he's been absolutely electric since he got back from injury. an absolute demon on the forecheck and he seems to have developed positional awareness overnight. I've never seen him play like this, even at his best.

Yeah, his skating pace is starting to become a little scary. He pulls away from everyone within a flash and now his hands and shot are catching up.

Really hope he stays healthy. Thats my biggest worry with him

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
He went a little overboard a couple of times in the third period trying to 1v5 the team but you can tell he's feeling it. Besides that, he's been starting to find passing options on his entries which has helped his game a lot. He was always great at zone entries before but would struggle and usually get a shot or turn it over rather quickly instead of turning it into offensive zone possession time. It also helps to have the speed and size of Goat there to make dump and chases actually work. Opens up space for the entries.

Reactions: duhmetreE and CLW

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Can we put to rest “tunnel vision” Chytil now? I get it. Last year, he seemed to have a singleminded focus to drive the net and shoot (Gauthier is in that mindset now), but his passing has been a thing of beauty the past few games, in addition to everything else he is doing well.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Agreed - he made some passes last night and played well enough to get 2-3 goals honestly.

Reactions: cheech70

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Absolute clinic last night with the Gingras interview on giving inconsequential, canned answers to questions.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I'm looking forward to the inevitable stretch coming up where he looks relatively pedestrian but somehow keeps scoring goals.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm a big fan but am surprised he doesn't have more points. Seems to be taking the slow Zacha route. He will get there. Hopefully as an Oil because you might regret trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00