Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Seems like he has plateaued with the Rangers. He seems like that player that puts it all together after getting traded.

Reactions: nyr2k2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Our player development is ass. Bottom of the barrel ass.

This is why you don't sign vets to fat contracts when you're attempting to "rebuild." You're taking those minutes away from the kids and they cant continue to hone their skills. Theres a misconception that all these guys, even high picks, are ready out of the box. That may be the case for some (McDavid, Matthews) but its rare.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

This is why you don't sign vets to fat contracts when you're attempting to "rebuild." You're taking those minutes away from the kids and they cant continue to hone their skills. Theres a misconception that all these guys, even high picks, are ready out of the box. That may be the case for some (McDavid, Matthews) but its rare.

Agree that there's a problem with forward development, but not sure bolded is it.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He mentally struggles with the offensive game. Like when I watch him I see forwards playing hockey from back in the Torts era, very predictable. He lacks any sort of creativity and with his size and speed he could still be an excellent 3c IF he were dependable on faceoffs or his defensive game. Unfortunately his shortcomings are magnified bc others on this roster share the same shortcomings but they are better at other things. His game plateauing reminds me VERY much of Anisimov where we all wanted more from him bc of his raw tools, but he never reached what he could've been. When Chytil gets traded it will be the best thing for him going somewhere he can start over. His arc may be that of a milder Zibs, whereas he is dealt and then his development is stimulated again..

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
When this season started I was looking forward to seeing Chytil playing mostly with Goodrow on the third line and rounding out his game. Once again we have a kid line third line that is seeing their minutes get slashed unless they have a major lead. Not only is it terrible for their development but it will cost this team wins if they can't trust their third line. Either give the kids their minutes or switch players around so you have a third line you can actually play.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I see it differently.

The idea that the answer to fix a young player struggling in third line minutes is to give him more minutes to struggle in that is so accepted around here, I don't see a lot of evidence for. What players around the league was that the recipe for?

There's opportunity for Lafreniere. If he was playing well, coaches have moved Kreider down or over to make room. If Gallant wanted to make the minutes for Lafreniere, he would. He doesn't. He's played a minute less than last year with far weaker competition on the wings.

Kakko's gotten more minutes, because someone has to. Hasn't done him a world of good, besides some of us willing themselves to believe that he's turned a corner.

What I see, and I concede I'm largely alone on this, is that the other young players around the league that we're comparing them to, arrived a lot better than our guys.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I see it differently.

The idea that the answer to fix a young player struggling in third line minutes is to give him more minutes to struggle in that is so accepted around here, I don't see a lot of evidence for. What players around the league was that the recipe for?

There's opportunity for Lafreniere. If he was playing well, coaches have moved Kreider down or over to make room. If Gallant wanted to make the minutes for Lafreniere, he would. He doesn't. He's played a minute less than last year with far weaker competition on the wings.

Kakko's gotten more minutes, because someone has to. Hasn't done him a world of good, besides some of us willing themselves to believe that he's turned a corner.

What I see, and I concede I'm largely alone on this, is that the other young players around the league that we're comparing them to, arrived a lot better than our guys.
Spot on. Lafreniere was given an opportunity on the 1st line, he failed at maintaining a level of play that would allow him to stick there. He was moved down and he still is woefully unproductive. Somehow I don't think moving him back up is going to change anything. Kakko has played all year on the 1st or 2nd line, had a little streak but otherwise has been his usual self. They have had plenty of opportunity to make an impact and they just haven't done it. Especially Lafreniere who rarely even looks like he can keep up at the NHL level. At least Kakko is relatively good at doing the little things, maintaining puck possession, his stick is good, he is usually defensively aware.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Spot on. Lafreniere was given an opportunity on the 1st line, he failed at maintaining a level of play that would allow him to stick there. He was moved down and he still is woefully unproductive. Somehow I don't think moving him back up is going to change anything. Kakko has played all year on the 1st or 2nd line, had a little streak but otherwise has been his usual self. They have had plenty of opportunity to make an impact and they just haven't done it. Especially Lafreniere who rarely even looks like he can keep up at the NHL level. At least Kakko is relatively good at doing the little things, maintaining puck possession, his stick is good, he is usually defensively aware.
I agree and don’t think he’s earned more minutes and I don’t think usage is an excuse for him & Kakko. They have gotten more opportunities than they’ve deserved and if it were based on merit Kravtsov would’ve made the team over Kakko all the way back in 2019-20 because he was by all accounts our best player in camp.

However, if Laf is comfortable moving to RW (which I don’t want to as he would be taking Kravtsov’s potential spot) I think he may be a good fit opposite Panarin. Panarin & Strome do good with grinders but Hunt simply doesn’t have the skill. Laf should be able to score goals with Panarin feeding him, and Laf can play that hard nosed game on that line.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
At this point I would give him a try on the wing with either of the top 2 lines and see if anything comes from it. I don't think he does anything above average at center and at this point probably isn't the long term answer at 2C or 3C.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I agree and don’t think he’s earned more minutes and I don’t think usage is an excuse for him & Kakko. They have gotten more opportunities than they’ve deserved and if it were based on merit Kravtsov would’ve made the team over Kakko all the way back in 2019-20 because he was by all accounts our best player in camp.

However, if Laf is comfortable moving to RW (which I don’t want to as he would be taking Kravtsov’s potential spot) I think he may be a good fit opposite Panarin. Panarin & Strome do good with grinders but Hunt simply doesn’t have the skill. Laf should be able to score goals with Panarin feeding him, and Laf can play that hard nosed game on that line.
I'm afraid Lafreniere would hurt that line honestly. He's not at the stage where he can play that highly skilled game that they would need to play to maintain possession without having that grinder/forechecker on the right side. I don't know what I would do with the lines honestly. Probably stay with Hunt or give Gauthier a look perhaps.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
At this point I would give him a try on the wing with either of the top 2 lines and see if anything comes from it. I don't think he does anything above average at center and at this point probably isn't the long term answer at 2C or 3C.
The idea he should play center is hilarious to me, a guy who’s biggest weaknesses at the NHL level are speed, coasting around, and lack of vision should be a center? :laugh:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hate to say it but Chytil is largely the same player he was when he made his debut. There's been no tangible progress
That's exactly how I see it. His game has not progressed at all. He has not shored up any of his weaknesses. I was hoping to see growth in the 2way game... maybe see him excelling on the PK...

He has quick hands but they are made of stone. He has no creativity and is a poor playmaker. Poor vision and IQ.

We can hope for Anisimov type.... and like Anisimov, bring back a player of need. ( Instead of Nash a Center )

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's exactly how I see it. His game has not progressed at all. He has not shored up any of his weaknesses. I was hoping to see growth in the 2way game... maybe see him excelling on the PK...

He has quick hands but they are made of stone. He has no creativity and is a poor playmaker.

The hope is Anisimov....

I think he is very much trade bait while hes cost controlled

Reactions: leetch99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Agree that there's a problem with forward development, but not sure bolded is it.

The problem is with the way this org treats young players. Voices in the org have already criticized their approach. They treat them like assets, not like human beings. TOI is important, but it's not some magic potion. What's more important is how they are treated.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The problem is with the way this org treats young players. Voices in the org have already criticized their approach. They treat them like assets, not like human beings. TOI is important, but it's not some magic potion. What's more important is how they are treated.
How did you do it?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I see it differently.

I think the problem is that the players who all seem behind where they should be are the same players who found themselves in the NHL before they had any business being there. Other guys "arrive" better usually after spending a couple of seasons in lower leagues playing top minutes in all situations. They got those minutes and that development there and just have to make a quick speed of play adjustment at the NHL level. Alternatively, you have guys who develop more quickly at the NHL level because they are playing top line in all situations because their team has nobody else. Our guys were here at 18 years old. They were off the PP, off the PK, and playing 4th line minutes in fits and spurts. That's no way to develop. Ideally, you don't want to just feed them NHL minutes for development, but if that's the case, send them to the AHL. That's what it's there for. The Rangers are straddling the fence so hard that they're liable to get splinters in their ass. They insist the kids are NHL players, but they don't want to play them all that much. They know the kids need minutes and ice time, but they refuse to use the options they have to get them those things. Ironically, the one forward they followed the RIGHT developmental path with (Kravtsov) took his puck and went home crying.

If they don't want to play them OR send them down, then f*** it, just trade them, because playing 4th line minutes night in and night out isn't going to help them at all.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

This is an odd statement considering everyone who talks about the Rangers calls them a first class organization who provides everything a player would need. I dont think you are wrong that the team has had trouble developing forwards, but to say the players are treated poorly seems like a stretch.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think the problem is that the players who all seem behind where they should be are the same players who found themselves in the NHL before they had any business being there. Other guys "arrive" better usually after spending a couple of seasons in lower leagues playing top minutes in all situations. They got those minutes and that development there and just have to make a quick speed of play adjustment at the NHL level. Alternatively, you have guys who develop more quickly at the NHL level because they are playing top line in all situations because their team has nobody else. Our guys were here at 18 years old. They were off the PP, off the PK, and playing 4th line minutes in fits and spurts. That's no way to develop. Ideally, you don't want to just feed them NHL minutes for development, but if that's the case, send them to the AHL. That's what it's there for. The Rangers are straddling the fence so hard that they're liable to get splinters in their ass. They insist the kids are NHL players, but they don't want to play them all that much. They know the kids need minutes and ice time, but they refuse to use the options they have to get them those things. Ironically, the one forward they followed the RIGHT developmental path with (Kravtsov) took his puck and went home crying.

If they don't want to play them OR send them down, then f*** it, just trade them, because playing 4th line minutes night in and night out isn't going to help them at all.
Kakko has averaged between 14:17 and 15:57 per game with PP time between 0:58 and 2:14. Lafreniere between 12:54 and 13:53 with PP time between 1:17 and 1:31.

At 14 minutes they stagnate, at 16 minutes they blossom. Is that the magic number?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This is an odd statement considering everyone who talks about the Rangers calls them a first class organization who provides everything a player would need. I dont think you are wrong that the team has had trouble developing forwards, but to say the players are treated poorly seems like a stretch.

AK is dialed in, but cold treatment doesn't explain why the Rangers struggle to develop forwards but not defensemen or goalies.

Reactions: McRanger92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad