Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He’s going to be in Stromes spot next year and will thrive. He’s too talented not to. We don’t have another guy in the entire org than can gallop like he can around the rink

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He’s going to be in Stromes spot next year and will thrive. He’s too talented not to. We don’t have another guy in the entire org than can gallop like he can around the rink

If he can play every game like he played last night etc then yeah

though his head down style might not mesh with Panarin that well

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd like to see this version of Chytil with Panarin. They don't see the game the same way but Chytils pressure could create a lot.

Also, what happened to cause a lot of our players to become reactionary puck watchers? Panarin and now Chytil broke out of it...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If he can play every game like he played last night etc then yeah

though his head down style might not mesh with Panarin that well

they had a shift together last night where they dominated.

I think Panarin will be just fine with him

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
Chytil has four points in 18 games playing with pretty good wingers. He now has over 200 games in the NHL and doesn't seem to be improving. No reason to think he can be a 2C in the near future. In fact he may be better suited to wing and not be a center at all.

I think the Rangers should explore trading him while he still has value. They are going to have to sign Strome if he gives them a team friendly contract so he can play with Bread, a distinct possibility. By next season Barron may be better suited as the 3C instead of Fil. Even Rooney is more effective as a bottom 6 center than Chytil.

Reactions: leetch99

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Until he had that great chance halfway through the third, I basically forgot he was playing. Frustrating player for me.
The line was flat yesterday for sure. The refs were also letting Goat get completely mauled the entire game. I think they'll get it back together next game.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Poor Chytil can't buy a goal. So many great chances this season and he hits posts or the goalie makes a great save. I don't know if this is just bad luck or what, but I am really starting to think that he really is more suited for wing than C. If he dominated on faceoffs, then I would stick him between 2 playmaking wingers and let him dig corners, win faceoffs, and crash the net. I think he is still so young that he could still put it all together, but there is no guarantee and putting him at wing might allow him to simplify his game and really take off.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I feel like Chytil fancies himself a finesse player but personally I’d like to see him play more like the play Gauthier has evolved into. Focus on the physical play, win those one-on-one battles. Then take the offense when it comes. He’s just not a line driver. And guys who cannot control the pace better double down on the other stuff.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Starting to look like a third line player and not a top 6.

Im not really interested in a 3C who can’t put up points, win face offs, or play defense... He’s becoming a real blah player for me. I’d listen to offers, maybe even try him at wing for a stint. You can play Barron or Rooney short term at 3C to see what Chytil can do in that wing role.

He’s our draft pick so he basically gets a free pass for doing the negative things Strome does without the near point per game production.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I also think it may just be a matter of time with Chytil. He’s still young. But I’m just not sure the Rangers in a position to develop so many players simultaneously. Maybe trade Chytil assuming he has good value, to a team a little further off, like Ottawa, and bring in a rental 3C. If we didn’t have so many kids learning the ropes already I think we can absorb Chytil’s learning curve (and growing cap hit). But we have Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller, Nils, even Gauthier goes through ups and downs. It might be time to find a little more consistency at 3C.

Reactions: duhmetreE

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
He needs to simplify and start incorporating more meat and potatoes aspects into his game but I’m not sure he sees himself as that type of player based on comments he’s made in regards to his style of play and strengths

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I also think it may just be a matter of time with Chytil. He’s still young. But I’m just not sure the Rangers in a position to develop so many players simultaneously. Maybe trade Chytil assuming he has good value, to a team a little further off, like Ottawa, and bring in a rental 3C. If we didn’t have so many kids learning the ropes already I think we can absorb Chytil’s learning curve (and growing cap hit). But we have Lafreniere, Kakko, Miller, Nils, even Gauthier goes through ups and downs. It might be time to find a little more consistency at 3C.

They need to put themselves in a position, then.

The bigger concern for me is that this is just what he is.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

He should shift to the wing and Barron should get a 3rd line run imo

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Kid is 22. Still a kid. Lots of time left to grow. That said, hockey IQ is rocks for brains. Not much going there, it seems. He needs to be molded into an automaton. Don't think. Do. Make him angry. He can be a very good automaton. Wind him up, put him out there and watch him go.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kid is 22. Still a kid. Lots of time left to grow. That said, hockey IQ is rocks for brains. Not much going there, it seems. He needs to be molded into an automaton. Don't think. Do. Make him angry. He can be a very good automaton. Wind him up, put him out there and watch him go.

Fil insists he is a center, but he needs to bring that element of creativity, which he hasn't really shown so far, to be a top-6 C and his allround game is not 3C. Maybe just make him a Josh Anderson clone on the wing, skate fast to beat the trap teams and use his wrist shot a lot.

It's kind of an overlapping problem. Chytil plays well with Kakko looking back at last season and this preseason, but Kakko shouldn't be on the third line. Kakko doesn't have much chemistry with Strome or Zib and neither does Laffy. Kakko and Laffy have chemistry but they don't have a strong center. /slashwrist

If Kupari + a 1st really was on the table for Buch... Kupari can gallop around the ice at least as well as Chytil, he has better hands and creativity too, but he's another raw kid so "of course" management went with Blais to bring immediate physicality/impact/cup knowhow to the lineup.

Anyway still plenty of time for Fil to hit top form this season.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Can we have any young top drafted forward in this franchise meet or exceed expectations on the scoresheet?

I know they are all very young. But it seems like every team has one or two.

Getting a little frustrating I must admit

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Can we have any young top drafted forward in this franchise meet or exceed expectations on the scoresheet?

I know they are all very young. But it seems like every team has one or two.

Getting a little frustrating I must admit

It's been said before, this situation/dynamic that we have here right now is not a conventional situation for any top drafted player. It's not conventional when you have locked up your marquee players who will be here for another half-decade.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Fil insists he is a center, but he needs to bring that element of creativity, which he hasn't really shown so far, to be a top-6 C and his allround game is not 3C. Maybe just make him a Josh Anderson clone on the wing, skate fast to beat the trap teams and use his wrist shot a lot.

It's kind of an overlapping problem. Chytil plays well with Kakko looking back at last season and this preseason, but Kakko shouldn't be on the third line. Kakko doesn't have much chemistry with Strome or Zib and neither does Laffy. Kakko and Laffy have chemistry but they don't have a strong center. /slashwrist

If Kupari + a 1st really was on the table for Buch... Kupari can gallop around the ice at least as well as Chytil, he has better hands and creativity too, but he's another raw kid so "of course" management went with Blais to bring immediate physicality/impact/cup knowhow to the lineup.

Anyway still plenty of time for Fil to hit top form this season.

There probably will come a point where Gallant/another future coach who says, "ok, you're going to be a north-south player" and grow him that way.

Reactions: egelband and CLW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad