Speculation: Fighting!! Manly stuff!!

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
i'd rather see someone get checked during a hockey game than stop the hockey game so that two guys can do something that is not hockey, which is punching each other in the face

Fighting is as much a part of hockey as anything else.

The only non-fighting league I follow is college hockey, and they can't get through a weekend without a handful of players being ejected for hits from behind.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Fighting is as much a part of hockey as anything else.

The only non-fighting league I follow is college hockey, and they can't get through a weekend without a handful of players being ejected for hits from behind.

How are those SC playoffs working for ya?

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
i'd rather see someone get checked during a hockey game than stop the hockey game so that two guys can do something that is not hockey, which is punching each other in the face

Well over here where men have balls, fighting is a part of hockey. Just kidding . . . Kinda . . . Im serious.
Besides how are you going to lay someone out? Will you go out of position to nail him? Hit him without the puck? There's no certainty he'll line up for a good hit.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Serious question, why? I'm not even going to respond and you don't have to worry about getting sucked into an argument. That just seems more than a touch severe to me and want to know your reasoning.

*WHISPERS* Fenian, you respond. ;)

Nope, it's a beautiful October morning, I have a new husky puppy coming this week and the wife and I are gong away, not going to get sucked into it..............................yet, still early though.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You know the Kings led the playoffs in fights, right?

Are you going to mention the olympics next?

Also...

http://youtu.be/oAQtabmrV7Q

Pretty sure everyone loved that.

How was the frequency of fights in the post season versus regular season? How was the level of hockey? Entertainment value? LA had 4 fights in 26 games. Big whoop.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
How are those SC playoffs working for ya?

True, but even in the playoffs, the potential for a fight is there. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I 'm as big a fan of fighting as there is but I understand where the league is going and why. I don't like or agree with it but. I get it.

In the end, I think the product would be far less enjoyable if it were eliminated entirely as I worry about how many more Orpiks, Emelllin's and Cooke's would suddenly feel liberated without the fear of some sort of pay back.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Hockey is a NA sport. European hockey is as relevant as North American soccer.

Except when some winning teams adopted European styles. Hockey is relevant everywhere and when it hits an international stage everyone takes notes about systems,rules etc.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I love it because it tempers the vocal showboating BS.

Also MMA is one of the fastest growing sports there is, so I'm not sold on the "fighting is a thing of the past" line of thinking.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
True, but even in the playoffs, the potential for a fight is there. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I 'm as big a fan of fighting as there is but I understand where the league is going and why. I don't like or agree with it but. I get it.

In the end, I think the product would be far less enjoyable if it were eliminated entirely as I worry about how many more Orpiks, Emelllin's and Cooke's would suddenly feel liberated without the fear of some sort of pay back.

I'm not looking to end it completely. I love real spontaneous eruptions but the league should have no place for players like Thornton,Scott,McGrattan and dozens of other skaters with no or very limited talent. I respected Thornton but in a goonless league he doesn't play and I don't miss him.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I'm not looking to end it completely. I love real spontaneous eruptions but the league should have no place for players like Thornton,Scott,McGrattan and dozens of other skaters with no or very limited talent. I respected Thornton but in a goonless league he doesn't play and I don't miss him.

If you take out talentless fighters, you only get talentless players who don't do anything like Caron or Daugavins, plus chirpers and cheapshot artists.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Bruins had 11 fights in their two cup runs. 7 combined in every other year since Julein has been coach.

I know but I'm not ready to crown the team based on fights. It's still 11 fights in 52 games. How many were Thornton?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If you take out talentless fighters, you only get talentless players who don't do anything like Caron or Daugavins, plus chirpers and cheapshot artists.

I'd rather see a youngster on the end of the bench. Pure fighters shouldn't have a chance.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I'd rather see a youngster on the end of the bench. Pure fighters shouldn't have a chance.

I would too, but the talent is too diluted for that to happen. I would rather have a 6'6-6'8 250-280 lbs guy to intimidate, protect and attack than a tweener who does nothing.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Imo we wouldve beat the habs during the playoffs if we had a SINGLE fight that series

They blew it on brain farts while playing on eggshells in fear of their PP. They pissed that series away in games 6 and 7. Up until then it was their to take.

Fighting would have simply meant an additional instigator penalty against us. How it is against the habs. Had Parros been healthy for them, maybe different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad