Speculation: Fighting!! Manly stuff!!

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruins are still paying Jordan Caron. Just saying

Caron is better than Scott, and that's saying something. I bet if there were a poll on worst NHLers, Scott would win unanimously.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=71413

15 years ago in the NAHL he only managed 12 points as a career high for any league he's been in. He is worse than the definition of a goon, and HE is the type of player the NHL should have booted out a while ago. Compared to him, most true heavyweight goons like McGratton or even a Laraque look like hockey players.

If he were even good at fighting, it could almost make sense. But he isn't even a good fighter, he is just bigger than everyone and pins them down while punching down on them.

Chara is by no means a good fighter because of his lack of balance, but if he were to waste 5 PIMs on Scott, Scott would be left on the ice waiting for an ambulance to pick him up.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is pushing NBC to say this crap? They featured this question 2 or 3 times in the intermission and post-game show last night. This tells me the NHL has NBC's ear, and that Milbury and anyone else is just a mouthpiece for their BS.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Caron is better than Scott, and that's saying something. I bet if there were a poll on worst NHLers, Scott would win unanimously.

15 years ago in the NAHL he only managed 12 points as a career high for any league he's been in. He is worse than the definition of a goon, and HE is the type of player the NHL should have booted out a while ago. Compared to him, most true heavyweight goons like McGratton or even a Laraque look like hockey players.

If he were even good at fighting, it could almost make sense. But he isn't even a good fighter, he is just bigger than everyone and pins them down while punching down on them.

Chara is by no means a good fighter because of his lack of balance, but if he were to waste 5 PIMs on Scott, Scott would be left on the ice waiting for an ambulance to pick him up.

I`d wager if you tossed out Caron`s name on every teams site here, half wouldn`t have a clue who this Caron fella was

member 96824

Anyone else get the feeling that the NHL is pushing NBC to say this crap? They featured this question 2 or 3 times in the intermission and post-game show last night. This tells me the NHL has NBC's ear, and that Milbury and anyone else is just a mouthpiece for their BS.

That's what it felt like. Had the same thought

acr*

Are points the sole measure of value for a hockey player? I'm wagering Scott's other numbers are no better. I'm just saying that for a guy who apparently has nothing to offer, he has managed to stick around the league a while.

A Healthy Kelly*

i don't like fighting and wish that it resulted in a mandatory suspension and immediate ejection from the game.

i'm european though.

acr*

i don't like fighting and wish that it resulted in a mandatory suspension and immediate ejection from the game.

i'm european though.

Serious question, why? I'm not even going to respond and you don't have to worry about getting sucked into an argument. That just seems more than a touch severe to me and want to know your reasoning.

*WHISPERS* Fenian, you respond. ;)

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

Given NBC's desire to mention Crosby (poster boy for running and cowering) in every single NHL broadcast that has nothing to do with the Penguins, and their general tilt in every other thing... I think they'd be happy to get rid of fighting. They don't care about the game of hockey itself, they just want to produce something sugary and easy to swallow for the average yahoo that doesn't know what off-sides means.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I grew up with it but if you were creating a new sport and you said 'hey lets allow fighting' people would say you are crazy. I have many fight tapes and would continue to allow it as long as its not staged or the John Scott's of the world. Still love a good brawl.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Are points the sole measure of value for a hockey player? I'm wagering Scott's other numbers are no better. I'm just saying that for a guy who apparently has nothing to offer, he has managed to stick around the league a while.

I'd bet it's because of his size and lockerroom presence more than anything else. He is slow, has no hands, no real NHL level shot, and a defensive liability.

I think size + willingness to be a bully when needed (Buffalo last year, for example, or SJ this year) are about it. Plus he can 'play' at defense and forward, which is more than many goons I'd wager.

acr*

I'd bet it's because of his size and lockerroom presence more than anything else. He is slow, has no hands, no real NHL level shot, and a defensive liability.

I think size + willingness to be a bully when needed (Buffalo last year, for example, or SJ this year) are about it. Plus he can 'play' at defense and forward, which is more than many goons I'd wager.

So what you are saying is he has good size, is a locker room presence, sticks up for his teammates, and is versatile?

Reading you loud and clear. ;)

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Look at an example from baseball. Pitcher throws chin music, batter attacks the pitcher. In hockey though, it doesn't have to be the pitcher and the batter, It could be the guy on deck throwing his bat at the short stop.

It's pretty obvious you can't take the fighting out of baseball, and no one is crying for it(nature of the game...). So why the hell would we stop the fighting in hockey?

If you fine a player 10 000 for fighting, he will just start cross checking in the throat. And if you fine cross checks to the throat, he will Bobby Clark your ankle...

Lets change the NFL to a touch league while we're at it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Regardless of where you stand on this...Milbury is lying, hypocritical bum who will say anything to stay relevant.

Exactly. Milbury has to come up with something to stay on the tube. Guess he would rather see players using sticks as weapons and head hunting. Dummy.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Of course, Milbury is a shill, as are Fluto Shinzawa, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, etc.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I would be just fine if they took it out of the game. I dont think there is a reason to take it out but, if they did, I would not mind at all.

A Healthy Kelly*

i like hockey, not two guys punching each other in the head. i'd rather see someone get laid out if they need to be 'policed'.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
i like hockey, not two guys punching each other in the head. i'd rather see someone get laid out if they need to be 'policed'.

You'd rather have guys taking runs at each other instead? Players would drop like flies.

Statistically, fighting is the safest thing about hockey. I'm more worried about someone getting stepped on with a skate.

A Healthy Kelly*

You'd rather have guys taking runs at each other instead? Players would drop like flies.

Statistically, fighting is the safest thing about hockey. I'm more worried about someone getting stepped on with a skate.

i'd rather see someone get checked during a hockey game than stop the hockey game so that two guys can do something that is not hockey, which is punching each other in the face

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Given NBC's desire to mention Crosby (poster boy for running and cowering) in every single NHL broadcast that has nothing to do with the Penguins, and their general tilt in every other thing... I think they'd be happy to get rid of fighting. They don't care about the game of hockey itself, they just want to produce something sugary and easy to swallow for the average yahoo that doesn't know what off-sides means.

In the end they'd lose more fans than they'd gain. They have to know that. If they ever did, it would be in and out like cooperalls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad