Speculation: Fighting!! Manly stuff!!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The more fighting the better...staged, unstaged, I don't care... I grew up with it and loved it... I did it when I played on the pond ..:laugh:

Not sure how you can not like fighting if you watched it in the 80's..

I love the "real" fighting born out of emotion, but I would be totally fine with the staged stuff being gone, gone, gone.

Get rid of the big goons ala Scott, that cannot play the game.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I love the "real" fighting born out of emotion, but I would be totally fine with the staged stuff being gone, gone, gone.

Get rid of the big goons ala Scott, that cannot play the game.

Scott vs McGrattan is worth the price of admission !

BTW, my 4th line for the next SIM is Grabner-BRichards-Michalek. How's that for growing up? :)

member 96824

A goon may be able to put more than 15 butts in the stands down in Florida...

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Regardless of where you stand on this...Milbury is lying, hypocritical bum who will say anything to stay relevant.

This. He sounded like such a whiny baby last night, even when the TSN expert disagreed and actually made the correct, logical counter-arguments.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I used to be on the "every fight is worth watching" group but I have jumped off because:

1) There is little to no emotion on those heavyweight fights anymore. George Laraque really killed it with his mic'ed "Hey want to go" BS. When I watch goon fights from the 1980s, though they were useless to almost the same degree, those guys seemed to hate each other. See Domi with the belt gesture. Yea it was still a side show, but at lease one that they goons cared about. Now we got Thornton gesturing to the refs to stop a fight when Coltons jersey is over his head.

2) Its the goons that are going to kill or seriously injure one of themselves. Its not Campbell or even Mcquaid. Its Scott pounding Mcgratton and someone smacks their head on the ice. Too much force behind the punches and it will be a rallying cry, ending fighting as we know it.

I know I am different than many fans, especially my age. But I was never woken up while sleeping to see a great goal. But I was to see the 1991 brawl with Detroit. NHL hockey for me has always had fighting as a part of it and will be a little less of a fan when it goes.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

biggles8

Jan 30, 2007
Cape Cod
Mike Millbbury beat a guy with his own shoe during a game ( which I admit I loved ) and therefore in my mind is irrelevant when it comes to talking about fighting.
That said , the staged "heavyweight' fights are a joke .
Any other kind of fight does have a place in the game IMO

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
Nhl view of the future:
Fighting causes injury and manafests anger in the veiwers- get rid of it
Checking causes severe risk of injury and children will emulate it- get rid of it

Sticks are weapons- get rid of it
Using our feet brings us back to nature- lets do that instead

Pucks are dangerous and black, thats racist- get rid of it
Balls are round and safe- lets use that instead

Skates are sharp and lead to autism and murder- get rid of it
Cleets are much safer- lets use that instead

Ice that stuff is slippery, could hurt yourself- get rid of it
Turf is soft- lets use that instead

Does any one see where im going with this?:naughty:

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If a team wants to dress a HW and have him fight, let it happen. Who cares? Why are we always crying and trying to "change" the game? Leave all fighting in the game, don't get rid of staged fights, let them happen. Do you honestly get up and leave the room when two guys square off?

I'll always love a McGrattan/Orr tilt, or a Bordeleau/Gazdic tilt.

Good god, leave the game alone.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
According to the fraud Milbury, this means you support headshots like Cooke on Savard as well.

That's how ridiculous that was last night. He literally said "If you support fighting, that means you support headshots and if you say not, you're a hypocrite."

Mike Milbury...calling people hypocrites....Mike. Milbury.

I stopped taking Millbury seriously when he was still on NESN. Guy is an idiot.

In no way does supporting fighting mean you support headshots, Matt Cooke, W/E. In fact, I'd say if you truly want to try keeping headshots, etc OUT of the game, then you should be in fact, pro fighting.

Concussions will happen whether or not fighting is in the game. Using those as the catalyst to remove fighting is moderate at best.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Hate goon fighting. Loved all fighting when I was young but it became less and less appealing when I got older. No problem with spontaneous combustion but police actions suck. Criticism of Milbury and Kluzak as hypocrites can simply be explained by,"they are not 24 anymore!"

acr*

Career goons (i.e., John Scott) see ya, fine w/ losing the "staged fight" with the enforcer role falling to guys more like a Lucic or a Clarkson.

The prospect of watching the likes of a Marchand or Carcillo hacking, running suck, w/ unmitigated cheap shots on a star like Bergeron or Krejci, w/ no consequence but to cry to the ref? No thanks. The pro game will become utterly unrecognizable.

I don't think you can remove fighting completely from this game anymore than you can completely remove tripping, slashing, colorful remarks, intimidation, or injuries. Big strong men w/ sticks moving at 20mph plus, in a game w/ one puck, often decided by body position. Stuff is just going to happen. Why it's unique to any other pro sport.

Jon Scott has more goals than Lucic, McQuaid, Miller, and Chara combined ......and 14 other Bruins right now.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
If a team wants to dress a HW and have him fight, let it happen. Who cares? Why are we always crying and trying to "change" the game? Leave all fighting in the game, don't get rid of staged fights, let them happen. Do you honestly get up and leave the room when two guys square off?

I'll always love a McGrattan/Orr tilt, or a Bordeleau/Gazdic tilt.

Good god, leave the game alone.

Staged fights, and the career goons that are expected to fight them, unfortunately happens to be where the lawsuits are emanating from.

I'd rather compromise before watching as the game devolves into a slashing and cheap shot contest w/ diving.

Last edited:

acr*

And yet he is still the worst player in the NHL by far right now. He just scored his 3rd goal of his career on a shot most of us could save/take.

There are fringe NHL'ers on every team. No reason for Scott to be singled out the way he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad