Speculation: Fighting!! Manly stuff!!

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
for those of you who watched the det vs bos last night, there was a discussion on fighting. milbury, the guy who fought fans in the stands, was very anti fighting. yeah, no respect for that guy. but the point for my for my first thread in this forum is i want to explain my view point on fighting and hear yours.(i have yet to meet a fan who was anti-fighting)

from my point of fighting is a risk to injury but so is playing any type of pro hockey. you could say (quoting milbury) that checks can replace everything fighting does and is less dangerous, well checking is is one person forcing physical confrontation, while it takes two to tengo amigo. players the ones who are actaully dont want it gone as well. of course if you feel hockey is too dangerous, you could not make millions and retire but thats none of my business.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Fighting is illegal in the game.

The extent of evolutionary punishment for such will be determined by future $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Be that attendance, law suits, insurance premiums, etc...

If the financial scales tip there will be less tolerance for it from the owners.

/thread.

member 96824

Regardless of where you stand on this...Milbury is lying, hypocritical bum who will say anything to stay relevant.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Fighting is illegal in the game.

The extent of evolutionary punishment for such will be determined by future $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Be that attendance, law suits, insurance premiums, etc...

If the financial scales tip there will be less tolerance for it from the owners.

/thread.

its always about the money.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Career goons (i.e., John Scott) see ya, fine w/ losing the "staged fight" with the enforcer role falling to guys more like a Lucic or a Clarkson.

The prospect of watching the likes of a Marchand or Carcillo hacking, running suck, w/ unmitigated cheap shots on a star like Bergeron or Krejci, w/ no consequence but to cry to the ref? No thanks. The pro game will become utterly unrecognizable.

I don't think you can remove fighting completely from this game anymore than you can completely remove tripping, slashing, colorful remarks, intimidation, or injuries. Big strong men w/ sticks moving at 20mph plus, in a game w/ one puck, often decided by body position. Stuff is just going to happen. Why it's unique to any other pro sport.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
With over coaching and such, fighting will generally decline. There are hardly any "throw away" games any more with all the parity. Add that to the fact coaches will be less likely to dress a useless player. IMO, the future tough guy will be on defense. Like McQuaid, Carker, etc. Heck, even Scott has tried to play defense. IMO, the NHL features its deepest talent pool since the original 6 (where fighting was rare). A reason why fighting, as well as scoring is down.

Will all that being said.... what really piss' me off is the rule changes to further eliminate fighting, most of which is the last 5mins rule. Every other sport I shut off if my team is losing big except hockey. Some of the most memorable, most entertaining brawls in the history of the NHL have taken place at the end of games. But now, its much less likely because of the "message sending rule".

Why is message sending such a bad things? It builds contempt and excitement for the next game, especially in the playoffs. Just another great aspect of hockey that is lost.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm all for keeping fighting in the game but would be much more willing to see it go (or lessened) if they somehow could improve upon the dreadful level of officiating that we currently have.

Maybe fighting is a deterrent, maybe not, but I know for sure that the officials are inept and can't be trusted to adequately mete out justice for cheap shots.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
First and foremost Milbury is a ******* moron, he always has been and always will be. Awful player, worse coach, one of the worst GM's in the history of organized sports and is now a lying, hypocrite of an announcer who two years ago was crying about the wussification of hockey but in a sad, pathetic attempt to stay relevant in any way is now anti fighting because it will get people talking about him.

As far as fighting is concerned I enjoy it as much as the skill and skating part of the game, there is no reason you cannot have tough, physical hockey with fighting that still employs skilled and artistic players.

The game was tremendous in the 70's and 80's but now, regardless of individual skill level is more boring to me than ever before. Whether it is from coaching offense out of the game or the lack of physical play or players now being considered individual companies due to salaries and as such being more concerned about avoiding injury and damaging their product or the lockouts that have made the players closer due to the NHLPA's fight against ownership causing a lack of intensity in many cases.

If the enforcer role is being phased out then the instigator penalty should go with them, this would make players like Ott, Neal, Orpik or other cheap players who rarely fight have to answer for their actions instead of relying on the league to handle discipline. Think Emelin is as tough if he knows Lucic can rip his head off without a penalty if he cheap shots him?

And after all of that is said fighting is entertaining and displays emotion and the game is suppose to entertain fans and be about passion, not bore them.

member 96824

Fighting to defend a teammate belongs in the game.

Stagged goon fights do not.

According to the fraud Milbury, this means you support headshots like Cooke on Savard as well.

That's how ridiculous that was last night. He literally said "If you support fighting, that means you support headshots and if you say not, you're a hypocrite."

Mike Milbury...calling people hypocrites....Mike. Milbury.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
According to the fraud Milbury, this means you support headshots like Cooke on Savard as well.

That's how ridiculous that was last night. He literally said "If you support fighting, that means you support headshots and if you say not, you're a hypocrite."

Mike Milbury...calling people hypocrites....Mike. Milbury.

he completely beclowned himself last night. Good on Keith Jones for being the voice of reason.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
With over coaching and such, fighting will generally decline. There are hardly any "throw away" games any more with all the parity. Add that to the fact coaches will be less likely to dress a useless player. IMO, the future tough guy will be on defense. Like McQuaid, Carker, etc. Heck, even Scott has tried to play defense. IMO, the NHL features its deepest talent pool since the original 6 (where fighting was rare). A reason why fighting, as well as scoring is down.

Will all that being said.... what really piss' me off is the rule changes to further eliminate fighting, most of which is the last 5mins rule. Every other sport I shut off if my team is losing big except hockey. Some of the most memorable, most entertaining brawls in the history of the NHL have taken place at the end of games. But now, its much less likely because of the "message sending rule".

Why is message sending such a bad things? It builds contempt and excitement for the next game, especially in the playoffs. Just another great aspect of hockey that is lost.

Truer words were never written. The buildup between games was fantastic in the older days.... home and homes were INCREDIBLE.

the NHL has taken out the "getting even" in hockey with the instigator and that stupid 5 minute rule...

This is what caused that rule if IIRC...

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH

Agreed.

Also, I got blasted for saying this a few months ago on the main board but, if the take fighting out of the game they lose the casual fan viewers IMO. I know plenty of people that can barely manage to watch a regular season game as it is and only tune in for the playoffs.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

I love fighting but I can get on board with this.

I have a hard time taking the fight against fighting seriously when this league still will not punish headshots and more dangerous behavior consistently and fairly.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Milbury = Loser. Cant stand the guy anymore.

Fighting is what separates hockey from all the other sports. A real fight, spontaneous or one that has been percolating for a while needs to happen. Players like Claude Lemieux, Matt Cooke, or the former Patrick Koleta would ruin this game if they were allowed to run around without their punk card being checked from time to time.

The game would be unwatchable and soccer would look like an honorable game if hockey follows Milbury's recommendations. Players like Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos would have an endless parade of knee seeking missiles heading their way if there were only the NHL and all its wisdom protecting them.

Terrible, terrible idea to eliminate fighting from hockey...

member 96824

I wanted Jones to punch Milbury in the side of the head and KO him so I didn't have to hear him speak any more.

Does that make me a bad person?

As I said last night on the tweet machine.

The only sticking argument Milbury had was that he fought something like 65 times in his career and doesn't have the ability to put together a coherent thought anymore.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Milbury = Loser. Cant stand the guy anymore.

Fighting is what separates hockey from all the other sports. A real fight, spontaneous or one that has been percolating for a while needs to happen. Players like Claude Lemieux, Matt Cooke, or the former Patrick Koleta would ruin this game if they were allowed to run around without their punk card being checked from time to time.

The game would be unwatchable and soccer would look like an honorable game if hockey follows Milbury's recommendations. Players like Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos would have an endless parade of knee seeking missiles heading their way if there were only the NHL and all its wisdom protecting them.

Terrible, terrible idea to eliminate fighting from hockey...

good point. not only should fighting NOT be removed from hockey, it should be ADDED to soccer. I know i'd watch a lot more knowing all those floppers would have to answer the bell every once in awhile.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The more fighting the better...staged, unstaged, I don't care... I grew up with it and loved it... I did it when I played on the pond ..:laugh:

Not sure how you can not like fighting if you watched it in the 80's..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad