OT: FIFA World Cup 2018 - Final week Edition

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I was thinking you could put the second star inside the first star without messing up the aesthetics.

Or you know, update the logo completely. They already have a different coq on their jerseys than in the official FFF logo. Anyways, that should be the least of France's problems haha.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I said before that Belgium vs Brazil was the real final, now I'll say that Belgium vs France is the real one.. Either team should be able to handle England and Croatia. I've grown up cheering for Belgium bc that's where my grandfather was born, a Belgian World Cup with the Golden Generation would be almost as cool for me as seeing the Habs win the Cup.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I've watched all the England games & they have been enjoyable to watch actually. Southgate has done a wonderful job with that team.

Having said that I'm rooting for Belgium to win it.

I expect France will though.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I badly want Croatia to win.

How often a nation of 5M can actually win the world cup? That would be quite impressive.

Uruguay have won it twice, they have 3.4 million. The interesting thing is that Croatia did not qualify directly to the WC, their group was won by Iceland and Croatia did like Sweden (France won Sweden's group) and played 2 more games against the second placed team in 2 other groups, Sweden played Italy and Croatia played Greece.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
France
England
Croatia
Belgium

I would put England last but I love France the country and I hope they will win, if not I hope Belgium win because I like Hazard but obviously they play each other tomorrow. I dated a woman from Croatia when I lived in Stockholm and the main things I remember was her raven black long hair reaching the small of her back, she was hot and she hated everything Serbian. My god I thought she would spit on my floor when I mentioned Serbia.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I am a quarter French and cheered for them all of my life in big events (WC, Euros). I was too young in 1998, gutted in 2002 and 2006, indifferent in 2010 and hopeful after 2014.

This is by far the most complete team they've assembled since Euro 2000 yet to win major tournaments you need a great team (obviously) but a fair amount of luck. I remember France needing extra time to beat Portugal in the Euro 2000 SF then needed a last second goal by Wiltord to force extra time and ultimately beat Italy in that final. Also in 1998 they needed a golden goal to get by Paraguay in the R16 and beat Italy in PK in the QF. Also how gutting it was to dominate Portugal in the 2016 Euro final but losing. It is really hard to win these tournaments.

This is why this team CANNOT take for granted being one win away from the World Cup Final. It is very hard to get this far (even for great teams). No one remembers who loses in the semis or in the finals. Time to win it boys.

Spot on!

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I suppose with the millions being paid to him, Neymar doesn’t care that he’s a laughing stock of football.

I have to say I haven’t seen France play this tournament but am hoping for a Belgium Croatia final. Belgium just because and Croatia because Lovren plays for them. It would be a fairy tale if England won because most fans weren’t expecting much at the start. At least I’m not in the UK to see all the media nonsense though

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I would put England last but I love France the country and I hope they will win, if not I hope Belgium win because I like Hazard but obviously they play each other tomorrow. I dated a woman from Croatia when I lived in Stockholm and the main things I remember was her raven black long hair reaching the small of her back, she was hot and she hated everything Serbian. My god I thought she would spit on my floor when I mentioned Serbia.
Got her number? :laugh:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I suppose with the millions being paid to him, Neymar doesn’t care that he’s a laughing stock of football.

I have to say I haven’t seen France play this tournament but am hoping for a Belgium Croatia final. Belgium just because and Croatia because Lovren plays for them. It would be a fairy tale if England won because most fans weren’t expecting much at the start. At least I’m not in the UK to see all the media nonsense though

Liverpool angle I see, isn't Lovren on his way out from Liverpool?

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Not keen on him but he still plays for Liverpool so he gets the support at the mo.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
So when does your hubby think that The Black Cats will be back in the Premiere League?

Him and his mackem friends are happy being at the bottom but have high hopes for a steady rise back for the top. Just need to get rid of the losers who haven’t turned up to pre season training. Have new owners so things are looking up

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
I said before that Belgium vs Brazil was the real final, now I'll say that Belgium vs France is the real one.. Either team should be able to handle England and Croatia. I've grown up cheering for Belgium bc that's where my grandfather was born, a Belgian World Cup with the Golden Generation would be almost as cool for me as seeing the Habs win the Cup.
Two of my grand parents were from Belgium and moved to Canada during WW2. Would be ecstatic to see them win the World Cup.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I was very disappointed Serbia and Croatia didn't end up in the same pool...:rolleyes:

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
I predicted a Belgium-Croatia finals, but man would France - England be epic.

Today's game could go both ways. Belgium is a well oiled offensive machine. France is the juggernaut that is starting to gel at the right time. I'll keep my Belgium winning prediction. Belgium has superior midfield. De Bruyne has been in god mode this year. Such a technically brilliant player. Superior to Pogba in my mind. Lukaku is also superior to Giroud. Hazard and Griezman are a wash. However, I would trust France's defence over Belgium, especially with Kante helping out. Goaltending is close but I prefer Courtois. Both squads have an amazing bench, but I think France's is slightly superior. If the game goes to extra time I could see a guy like Dembele break the deadlock. An interesting match up will be M'bappe vs Meunier on the flank. M'bappe is a freak and Meunier has impressed me a lot on both sides of the pitch.

Should be an excellent game!

Reactions: lo striver

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Today's game could go both ways. Belgium is a well oiled offensive machine. France is the juggernaut that is starting to gel at the right time. I'll keep my Belgium winning prediction. Belgium has superior midfield. De Bruyne has been in god mode this year. Such a technically brilliant player. Superior to Pogba in my mind. Lukaku is also superior to Giroud. Hazard and Griezman are a wash. However, I would trust France's defence over Belgium, especially with Kante helping out. Goaltending is close but I prefer Courtois. Both squads have an amazing bench, but I think France's is slightly superior. If the game goes to extra time I could see a guy like Dembele break the deadlock. An interesting match up will be M'bappe vs Meunier on the flank. M'bappe is a freak and Meunier has impressed me a lot on both sides of the pitch.

Do they though?

De Bruyne is absolute class (and as a Chelsea fan, I pull my hair out watching him play...damn Mourinho).

But N'golo Kanté is every bit as good as KDB, but in a different way and i'd argue he's more important to France success than KDB is.

It's close, but...

Kante, Pogba & Tolisso/Matuidi > De Bruyne, Witsel, Fellaini

Also agreed about the Meunier/Mbappe matchup...Meunier locked Neymar down, which is why I had Belgium winning that game, so whoever lines up across Meunier, whether that's Mbappe or Griezmann, will have a tough time dealing with him.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace

I agree with every point. Under 2 hrs to go.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Do they though?

De Bruyne is absolute class (and as a Chelsea fan, I pull my hair out watching him play...damn Mourinho).

But N'golo Kanté is every bit as good as KDB, but in a different way and i'd argue he's more important to France success than KDB is.

It's close, but...

Kante, Pogba & Tolisso/Matuidi > De Bruyne, Witsel, Fellaini
It is close and I see why you would prefer France's mid. Individually, I would tend to agree that the sum of France's parts in the middle is better the the sum of Belgium's parts. Still, collectively I prefer Belgium's. I have nothing to back that up though, just my feeling. Kante is a machine and is exceptional at what he does but KDB, in his current form, is on another level as a whole.

Oh and also, Chelsea fan!?! Like, how can you...like why would you....like for the love of all that is holy what is wrong with you?
Love Hazard though.

vesperal

Mar 8, 2006
An interesting match up will be M'bappe vs Meunier on the flank.

Not really, Meunier got two yellow cards, he's not playing this game.

Reactions: 417

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Meunier is suspended for the match.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Also, yellow cards are reset in the semi-finals right? Meaning everyone with a yellow card coming in today won't be suspended in the final if they get one today. Correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad