GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Disappointing that Sessleman cost us our shot at this tournament. We were better than England but gifted them great opportunities to score and we paid the price.

This was happening throughout the tournament as we were gifting great chances nearly every game, but playing teams that typically have trouble finishing except Swiss who had trouble finishing on that day.

Soon as some proficient strikers came along this team was going to be dead and I said so.

Also specifically pointed out that any team scoring 2 goals against us was going to be the Death sentence as this club hasn't managed more than one goal in ages.

Also to say that the Sesselman play itself cost us could be revisionist. England got the 2-0 lead and chose to hang back. Who knows what the score line is or how many goals they get if they weren't front running.

Fact of the matter is this team wasn't good enough and has a lot of pretenders in the lineup. Around 10 nations have passed us in womens soccer. The England win here wasn't in isolation as England beats us the vast majority of the time. Canada were arguably underdogs in this one. Especially a Canadian club that couldn't score. Sure Sinclair heroically got the one back but I kept thinking now England is going to surround her with 3 players and who else on this club is even capable of scoring? Exactly, nobody.

England got two chances early and buried them. That quality finish is the difference. They have multiple players that can score.

Its rather sad that we've entirely squandered the generational talent of Sinclair with the mostly scrubs that play with her. You would think that some young women would get motivated to elevate their game in the midst of greatness. In 15 yrs I didn't see much of that. Too bad Kara Lang got injured repeatedly and had to retire. She was one of the few that could play up with Sinclair and not look out of place.

Tancredi? OMFG

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I truly feel bad for Sinclair. She's getting old and by the time 2019 rolls, she'll be36 and close to retirement. Hopefully she still has gas left in the tank.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I truly feel bad for Sinclair. She's getting old and by the time 2019 rolls, she'll be36 and close to retirement. Hopefully she still has gas left in the tank.

I think we all feel bad for her. Theres few players with more will and resolve and she made several outstanding plays on the day and her setting moments leading to the Tancredi chance was arguably the most brilliant lead up in the tournament. Run two Defenders inside out, make them look silly and then find time to arc a letter perfect cross on a 50 yd pass to send Tancredi in home free. Only to watch what she's seen a 100 times before with it being harmlessly sailed over the net.

After a play like that there are a lot of superstars that would just pack it in and say this team is just ****ed. Looking forward to playing with their club teams again. But heroically Christine never gives up and tries to will a few goals in and ends up getting one. With the rest of the club apparently expecting her to repeat being god after her Olympic hat trick performance against the power house US side. LOL that on one play with `12 mins left Christine is on the sideline with the ball because Canada has a throw in. She looks back at the lazy stragglers and has to say come on, somebody else take the throw and knowing full well she's the only player on the club that's dangerous and the last player on the club that should be taking a throw in. A WTF moment of the match.

Christine will never throw anybody under the bus either. She'll say its her fault she couldn't do more or make more of a difference. We know its not accurate.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Wildfire warning in Vancouver, asking people to avoid strenuous exercise.

I guess Japan got the memo, I don't think they've even showed up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad