GDT: FIFA Women's World Cup - Edmonton 2015 - Game 1: China @ Canada, June 6 @ 3 PM

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Theres not a more athletic player than Sinclair in Womens soccer, not even close. She would be Klose, Shweinsteiger, Muller, rolled up into one. ;)

She's been dynamic in this tournament and beating more defenders than anybody in the tournament that hasn't played Ecuador..

Maybe your definition of athletic is a bit different than mine haha. She has good speed, strength, and aerial ability, but I find other players are more agile on the ball than her.

Her real strengths imo lie in her burst of speed off the ball, her quick release, and shot accuracy, all of which combined are enough to create a dangerous player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
She doesn't play the same position, but hopefully Jessie Fleming can become the new face of the WNT. Haven't seen much of her but from what I've seen/heard she has a real good combination of technical skills, passing and shooting, and intelligence/vision basically nothing that Canada has ever produced before. Kara Lang and Craig Forest have said has much too.

It's to bad she's only 17 though and is a substitute player at this point. But she's top class for her age.

Don't know how good she can be but hopefully she can help the team sustain some success.

I wish I knew more about her play...I just haven't seen her play much at all.
Hopefully you (and everybody else) are right about her ceiling though because this team needs something special moving forward.
It would be a shame to see the team slip back into obscurity as Sinclairs play diminishes even more.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
I wish I knew more about her play...I just haven't seen her play much at all.
Hopefully you (and everybody else) are right about her ceiling though because this team needs something special moving forward.
It would be a shame to see the team slip back into obscurity as Sinclairs play diminishes even more.

Yeah hopefully - I mean there's a chance it could be all hype as TSN was calling her the "next one" lol - but there's the aforementioned former players saying she's special, and by my eye she looks special.

I think Canada will continue to produce some good players though - There's Buchanan and Lawrence is not bad. But I doubt they will be as good as our neighbours down south or a team like Germany in the near future - we need to continue improving the player development process with better coaching and more money poured into CSA.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton
I still didn't see the play and didn't note where and when it happened. Seemed it only got casual mention in the broadcast and nobody thought it was a non call from what I heard. Your interpretation is much different than mine and frankly I hate most hands calls because the vast majority are an inadvertent arm with a player on the line on a free kick and the opponent bangs the ball purposely into the line hoping to get a cheap call. Which is exactly what happened to Canada in the Olympics when Rampone purposely slammed the ball right into a Canadian defender looking for the cheap call. I hate those calls when they occur.

of course it was a chance and if the player isn't a complete idiot and simply controls the ball there she has the whole net to put it in. I've coached soccer and would lose my mind when a player blows an opportunity like that. Stop the ball first, dammit. These players aren't good enough to kick one timers and only kidding themselves when they try **** like that. Thing is the player was wide open in easy scoring range and the ball DID find her. Without the player completely flubbing it its a goal against.

Because Mcleod is the best in the game and no other reason. A swiss player was allowed all kinds of time in the box and to control ball and easily turn around and get a shot away. When you have a player one on one its a cardinal sin in soccer to allow them to get a shot off from gimme range. That was weak ass defending. Basically praying Mcleod is there. Otherwise its a goal.

This would be the kind of comment from somebody that's never watched the team play before. Sesselman is large, physically dominating and has played much better than this for Canada. She is just back from a serious ACL injury and not playing like herself. She can at least box out opponents, get to headers, and win battles.

Chapman has already given up a penalty kick in this tournament and is an adventure out there that I swear will get another yellow or red card before the tournament is over. its because she's so small she has to physically battle. Which is a huge concern in the box because ANY time you make physical contact in the box, and she's doing this half a dozen times in a game, theres a risk of a penalty kick.

No, the draw put us in this position. Not getting to this point would have been considered a monumental failure. 16 of 24 clubs advance from first round, only the worst don't, and Canada had the easiest group stage in the tournament. To put it into perspective Canada has played all of group, one knockout, and still hasn't played a club in the top half of the draw. That's like a red carpet. That Canada was even gifted a questionable penalty kick in stoppage time to get the W that set us up in group stage just adds to how little this squad has done. We have 2 goals from play in 4 games. No team in the tournament has had worse offense.

No, actually it isn't. To this point Canada hasn't played a team that has advanced beyond group stage in the last decade. Next, no hosting team has EVER failed to advance in the history of this tournament. All Canada has done is barely hold serve. Not impressively either. They have looked tentative, uncertain, have lacked pace, lacked controlling tempo and have had long bouts of inconsistent play.

Any team in the top dozen is better than what we've faced. Even Switzerland, ranked 18th, gave us a real good scare.

When exactly have we ever done well against Germany, Brazil, US (only once in recent memory 3yrs ago)?

This team loses almost all the time against top clubs.

No...

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Completely agree.

Sinclair doesn't create space like she needs to. Look at a player like Wamback or Marta. They create space and pressure defenders...Sinclair is not that type of player...she simply isnt that dynamic.
She is more of an opportunist.

I disagree entirely. the description of "opportunist" suggests that she does nothing but wait around for everyone else to do the work while she finishes - that is simply not true. Sinclair does not have great top speed but she makes well timed runs into space that allows her to get the ball. The problem is that she needs better partners to create give and go opportunities with and Tancredi is no longer fast enough to play with her.

The other problem with your description is that Wambach and Marta are no longer the powerhouse players that they were before. I've watched all the Brazil games and it is apparent that while Marta still has her foot skill, she's lost some speed (age? or injury?) and she is no longer able to expose defenders 1 v 1 to create chances by herself. Very few players can.

As for Wambach, I think she's still a bull in the air but she has gotten slower and noticeably less effective.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
meh. I would rather see a player like Marta, who I saw here in 2002 tournament than anything the aussies have. Plus that the Brazilians are a better team to begin with. Upsets typically result in a deterioration of the ongoing quality of the tournament. Again we haven't seen a topten team in the tournament yet at commonwealth save for Canada which currently doesn't look like one.

Getting excited to see Australia in either mens or womens play is like being excited to see Germany play hockey. Just a bit odd my friend. ;)

I'd rather see premium clubs play here. We're getting ripped in this tournament once again as the better teams, matches, are occurring elsewhere.

There's a change happening in women soccer my friend. The powerhouse teams like U.S. and Germany are still around but from what I've seen from this tournament - there's some real strong young players coming up from the non-traditionally strong teams.

I saw the Australia versus U.S game and the Australians were beating the United States in the first half, with better passing, and speed. The United States closed up in the second half with tighter defensive midfield and that shut down Australia and enabled the U.S. to create multiple counterattacking opportunities which they took advantage of. But until the half occured, I thought the Australians were unlucky to not be winning that game by a decisive margin.

I thought Norway looked very good (but they've been a traditional womens soccer power before). I thought Columbia looked very good but losing their first string keeper hurt. I was also impressed by Switzerland, and Spain's overall team technical abilities, especially for rookie teams in the tournament but they need better finish.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If she was the "gold standard" then why doesn't she have a Fifa Player of the year award? Did you know she has never been voted in the top 3 in any year?

No. I've watched womens soccer for a very long time, and Sinclair, without a doubt, has been one of the worlds best players. Not top ten, but amongst the top two or three. Her three goals against the United States in the Olympics, playing for a mediocre Canadian squad cemented that reputation. How many players scores three goals playing against the United States womens team... ever? How many has done it playing for as weak a team as Canada, as Canada on the whole, is not equal to Germany, Brazil or the United States.

Sinclair has been instrumental for the Canadian program, but to say she is the best player now or ever is ludacris. Star players bury their chances, Sinclair missed a prime strike in the first game by putting a weak attempt on net, she's been slow and easy to mark. She creates nothing for herself and needs to be sent in alone with space or else she is caught by faster players. Sinclair is historically scores either set pieces, loose balls on broken plays or clear breakaways.

Bwahaha, you've got to be kidding me. Here's a list of women soccer players who has scored more than 100 international goals. I would guess that its more difficult to score goals now, than in the past with the increased skill level of many international teams. She is third all time, more than Birgit Prinz, and four goals shy of Mia Hamm. She is the only one in the top five to not play for a team that's a power house (Germany/U.S.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._players_with_100_or_more_international_goals

Sinclair has scored 154 international goals in 226 matches played. The closest Canadian is Tancredi who has scored a mere 22 goals. "Star players bury their chances".... incredible. Is 154 international goals enough for you? Did you notice the missed penalty shot by Abby Wambach against Columbia this week?

You suggest that Sinclair historically scores off either set pieces or loose balls on broken plays or clear breakaways... Let me ask you this:

a) how does Sinclair gain breakaways if she isn't particularly fast to start with?
b) how many games have you watched of the 226 international matches that Sinclair has played for you to make that judgement?
c) you recognize that she plays for Canada right? Not the United States where teams have to defend against three ridiculously strong strikers. She's literally the only goal scoring threat that other teams has had to mark for years, and Sinclair STILL Scores.
d) you're suggesting that these goals are somehow Less worthy of any other goal scored? How do you think most strikers score goals - by beating three defenders 1 v 1?

In this tournament she has not been elite, she has been average and if people aren't willing to take off the maple leaf glasses and admit that then thats fine, but isn't being the player Canada needs.

Look I want Canada to do well, and Sinclair needs to be the one to step up in these next games or its going to be hard to advance. But if this is prime Sinclair then I'd hate to see a bad game from her.

Sigh. What's apparent is that this Team Canada is made up of players who are older than their prime age (Tancredi), or younger (Lawrence, Fleming, Buchanan). Like any other player - it helps tremendously if there's other players who can play off of Sinclair and there's been a noticeable lack of quality service provided by the Canadian midfield or defense.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There's a change happening in women soccer my friend. The powerhouse teams like U.S. and Germany are still around but from what I've seen from this tournament - there's some real strong young players coming up from the non-traditionally strong teams.

I saw the Australia versus U.S game and the Australians were beating the United States in the first half, with better passing, and speed. The United States closed up in the second half with tighter defensive midfield and that shut down Australia and enabled the U.S. to create multiple counterattacking opportunities which they took advantage of. But until the half occured, I thought the Australians were unlucky to not be winning that game by a decisive margin.

I thought Norway looked very good (but they've been a traditional womens soccer power before). I thought Columbia looked very good but losing their first string keeper hurt. I was also impressed by Switzerland, and Spain's overall team technical abilities, especially for rookie teams in the tournament but they need better finish.

Thanks for the feedback of course in soccer I'm conditioned to thinking that Aussie clubs are even worse than Canada and so thus don't excite me. Not big on Asian style of play tbh in either Womens or Men's soccer game. I love Euro and South American clubs, national sides, almost exclusively. Just a different approach to the game. A lot of Asian sides I've experienced really hang back all the time. Japan vs Australia just doesn't do it for me. Little interest in either side. overall I've been very disappointed with the draw we got here in Edmonton.

Funny thing is in Hockey I love defensive play. But when you got 11 players on the pitch and 10 are back much of the time it really does stifle play.

btw thanks for your response above. I made a lot of the same arguments which were largely ignored. Saying Sinclair is not one of the top womens players is an indefensible position.

btw I've always been sad Kara Langs career was ended so prematurely. She was the one player up front who could somewhat complement Sinclair while adding alternate threat. We've really missed that in the program. She was sublimely skilled.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
No. I've watched womens soccer for a very long time, and Sinclair, without a doubt, has been one of the worlds best players. Not top ten, but amongst the top two or three. Her three goals against the United States in the Olympics, playing for a mediocre Canadian squad cemented that reputation. How many players scores three goals playing against the United States womens team... ever? How many has done it playing for as weak a team as Canada, as Canada on the whole, is not equal to Germany, Brazil or the United States.

Bwahaha, you've got to be kidding me. Here's a list of women soccer players who has scored more than 100 international goals. I would guess that its more difficult to score goals now, than in the past with the increased skill level of many international teams. She is third all time, more than Birgit Prinz, and four goals shy of Mia Hamm. She is the only one in the top five to not play for a team that's a power house (Germany/U.S.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._players_with_100_or_more_international_goals

Sinclair has scored 154 international goals in 226 matches played. The closest Canadian is Tancredi who has scored a mere 22 goals. "Star players bury their chances".... incredible. Is 154 international goals enough for you? Did you notice the missed penalty shot by Abby Wambach against Columbia this week?

You suggest that Sinclair historically scores off either set pieces or loose balls on broken plays or clear breakaways... Let me ask you this:

a) how does Sinclair gain breakaways if she isn't particularly fast to start with?
b) how many games have you watched of the 226 international matches that Sinclair has played for you to make that judgement?
c) you recognize that she plays for Canada right? Not the United States where teams have to defend against three ridiculously strong strikers. She's literally the only goal scoring threat that other teams has had to mark for years, and Sinclair STILL Scores.
d) you're suggesting that these goals are somehow Less worthy of any other goal scored? How do you think most strikers score goals - by beating three defenders 1 v 1?

Sigh. What's apparent is that this Team Canada is made up of players who are older than their prime age (Tancredi), or younger (Lawrence, Fleming, Buchanan). Like any other player - it helps tremendously if there's other players who can play off of Sinclair and there's been a noticeable lack of quality service provided by the Canadian midfield or defense.

I think everyone bashing her here is using the semi game against the US in the olympics as a comparison and that was a game for the ages. The greatest soccer players in the world rarely have a game like that but some people seem to expect that of her.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think everyone bashing her here is using the semi game against the US in the olympics as a comparison and that was a game for the ages. The greatest soccer players in the world rarely have a game like that but some people seem to expect that of her.

The people bashing her say things like ludicris and are probably 20yrs old and have rarely seen her play before and probably so young they didn't even catch the Olympics. ;)

Sinclair has been a great player. For those that missed most of her career you missed a nature of Canadian player that might never be seen again. A truly special generational talent.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah hopefully - I mean there's a chance it could be all hype as TSN was calling her the "next one" lol - but there's the aforementioned former players saying she's special, and by my eye she looks special.

I think Canada will continue to produce some good players though - There's Buchanan and Lawrence is not bad. But I doubt they will be as good as our neighbours down south or a team like Germany in the near future - we need to continue improving the player development process with better coaching and more money poured into CSA.

She already played in this tournament. She has good play selection. She needs to show what she can do with some athleticism before I would suggest Sinclair pass her the torch.

Six in O6

Feb 24, 2009
Edmonton

...because that was the one game they watched. It's laughable, really... :help:

Sinclair is on another level from any other Canadian soccer player, male or female.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
I'm so done with this topic, but I might as well respond to those who responded to my posts.

First of all I've watched years of the women's soccer games. I've never said sinclair is a bad player, or even mediocre, I just don't believe she is the best, and she hasn't been in this tournament.

She is an old school striker in the sense that she uses her one touch striking and heading ability to score. Yes she scores other ways...

The Olympic games are not what I base anything off of, it was a great game and individual performance, ironically I'm being bashed for saying how she scores, yet 2 of those goals are headers on crosses. The other goal is inside the box on a simple right cut and shot across the goalie. (not downplaying the goals, just say she didn't have to create much for herself) (also heading a ball isn't easy)

Playing on non-powerhouse team can work to your advantage as well, you are constantly the go to player and get numerous scoring opportunities despite being double teamed or triple teamed.

How do you get a breakaway without being fast? You read the play, and time your runs, pretty basic ****

I'm happy sinclair has as many goals as she does, I don't think that means you are the best player though, if we want to use that argument Anja Mittag is the best player at this tournament, she has 5 goals, but plays for a powerhouse I guess...

As far as myself personally, I'm 29 and have played soccer since I was 4, As soon as I could play club soccer I did, I was always one of the top players on my team in both goals, assists and defensive play. I started playing on a div 2 mens team at 17 and by 19 played Div 1. I routinely placed in the top 10 in the league in goals and lead in 2 years.

I also coached a youth team since I was 18, out of the 8 years I coached only one year did my team not medal and in the highest tier they could play, In their u16-u18 seasons they won 4 consecutive provincial championships in outdoor and 3 in indoor, placing 2nd in their 1st u16 season of indoor.

So having said all that I'm not some 20 year old that casually watches Olympic soccer matches or simply youtubes clips, I have a good knowledge of the game, you can gladly disagree with me, thats your right.

So thank you for your points of view but I'm no longer going to bicker back and forth.

PS- If Sinclair scores a goal or two, I won't care and don't need to hear "hows she not the best". I'm not cheering against Canada or Sinclair.

Go Canada!

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm so done with this topic, but I might as well respond to those who responded to my posts.

First of all I've watched years of the women's soccer games. I've never said sinclair is a bad player, or even mediocre, I just don't believe she is the best, and she hasn't been in this tournament.

She is an old school striker in the sense that she uses her one touch striking and heading ability to score. Yes she scores other ways...

The Olympic games are not what I base anything off of, it was a great game and individual performance, ironically I'm being bashed for saying how she scores, yet 2 of those goals are headers on crosses. The other goal is inside the box on a simple right cut and shot across the goalie. (not downplaying the goals, just say she didn't have to create much for herself) (also heading a ball isn't easy)

Playing on non-powerhouse team can work to your advantage as well, you are constantly the go to player and get numerous scoring opportunities despite being double teamed or triple teamed.

How do you get a breakaway without being fast? You read the play, and time your runs, pretty basic ****

I'm happy sinclair has as many goals as she does, I don't think that means you are the best player though, if we want to use that argument Anja Mittag is the best player at this tournament, she has 5 goals, but plays for a powerhouse I guess...

As far as myself personally, I'm 29 and have played soccer since I was 4, As soon as I could play club soccer I did, I was always one of the top players on my team in both goals, assists and defensive play. I started playing on a div 2 mens team at 17 and by 19 played Div 1. I routinely placed in the top 10 in the league in goals and lead in 2 years.

I also coached a youth team since I was 18, out of the 8 years I coached only one year did my team not medal and in the highest tier they could play, In their u16-u18 seasons they won 4 consecutive provincial championships in outdoor and 3 in indoor, placing 2nd in their 1st u16 season of indoor.

So having said all that I'm not some 20 year old that casually watches Olympic soccer matches or simply youtubes clips, I have a good knowledge of the game, you can gladly disagree with me, thats your right.

So thank you for your points of view but I'm no longer going to bicker back and forth.

PS- If Sinclair scores a goal or two, I won't care and don't need to hear "hows she not the best". I'm not cheering against Canada or Sinclair.

Go Canada!

Thanks DrDrai...you succinctly summed up my feelings on Sinclair as well.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Go Canada!

yup, she has been invisible this tournament, and quite frankly disappointing.

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Well, looking for a stream for the Draft I found one that right now is shwing the GER-FRA game. Boy, these guys at FOX have no clue about Football!

Edit: It`s so strange to watch it, as in Germany there is one guy doing play by play but no color guy. Here it`s a woman, so strange!

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Germany through 5-4 on penalties...france was the better team through 120 mins but missed a gimme at 117 thats inexcusable. French keeper wasn't as dynamic in the shootout and the german keeper was and she made the save on the 5th french shooter

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Well, there is one contender down, and 120 minutes into Germany's legs.

Good result for the teams remaining.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ya no question about that, those 2 were gassed

Going 120 can put a month onto players legs, small muscle tears add up. Its hard to end games with penalty's, but if they pushed it to 130, likely neither team would have any sort of fitness for the next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad