FIFA Confederations Cup 2017

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
umm... dont know why the disallowed that goal on portugal. they only showed the still image of 2 players off side but it was a shot not a pass. not a full replay.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Amazing ending to the game, Portugal goes ahead with 5 minutes to go just to see Mexico tie it up in the injured time

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Stupid line-up hampered Portugal. There is no reason why Andre Silva should not be starting, changed the dynamic of the attack completely when he came on. Nani, Andre Gomes, and Moutinho should not be starting, they do nothing. No Bernardo Silva at all is ridiculous.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Never understood what appeal the Confed Cup was supposed to have. A superfluous tournament if there ever was one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Never understood what appeal the Confed Cup was supposed to have. A superfluous tournament if there ever was one.

It's a test run for Russia's World Cup venues more than anything else. And the teams in it may consider it an advantage to has been in that setting in advance of the real tournament

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Then the video ref corrects horrible officiating from an assistant that literally doesn't know the rules. Now I don't know what to think.

Or maybe it was something else. What the hell is this?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Totally agreed. Makes no sense to me.
Count me as one who won't watch a single minute.

The tournament is largely pointless other than the host nation getting prepared to host the World Cup one year later

But what I will say usually the games in the Confed Cup are pretty good, I guess it helps these teams play under relatively little pressure

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I'm not surprised once I saw the starting lineup. I hope Santos realizes he cant draw his way to third place and replace various options in CM like during the Euro because Joao Mario and Sanches arnt here.

The lack of ambition, energy, and quality is just infuriating given the talent at his disposal. We didnt look like we even wanted to be there and play unless the ball somehow ended up in Mexicos half, which is when we accelerated our play and cut them open. Andre Gomes is shocking, where was the power and vibrancy to push the ball upfield he used to half at Benfica/Valencia? He is nowhere near Joao Mario and should not be starting. Moutinho and his injuries have almost finished him, he has no more engine. This leaves us with Adrien, slightly above average personified.

Nani can't start, and Quaresma only works as an impact sub. He ruined some great attacking opportunities. Santos shackled Ronaldo again by not starting Andre Silva, and Bernardo Silva not even off the bench when he's our second best player?

The only encouraging thing is that William Carvalho asserted himself in the second half, he needs to leave Sporting before he stagnates even more. And Gelson impressing some is encouraging because this was nothing but an average cameo from him and he is capable of so much more.

Gurreiro with his worse performance since I could remember seeing him, but then again at Dortmund he often played in CM, it'll take a couple games for him to get used to fullback again.

Fonte has been trash since moving to West Ham and Pepe is out of form due to lack of playing time. Please Pepe since for a competitive club like PSG who was interested in a one year contract to give us one more tournament where you are one of if not the best CB (2012/2016).

In hindsight taking into account all of that it's obvious why the defense was unrecognizable. Coupled with Santos' idiotic approach of no ambition and attack no wonder we looked lethargic.

If Santos remains a dinsosaur and doesnt make the necessary changes I hope Russia wins to force his hand. Better here than at the actual World Cup.

The starting line up is easy:

-----------------------------------Patricio----------------------------------
----------------------Pepe----------------------Fonte------------------------
Cedric/Semedo--------------------------------------------------------Gurreiro
--------------------------------William------------------------------------------
----------Adrien/Moutinho---------------------------B.Silva------------------
Gelson---------------------Andre Silva-------------------------Ronaldo

Or if he wants to keep Gelson as the ace in the hole off the bench start Andre Gomes and B.Silva in his Monaco position

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Then the video ref corrects horrible officiating from an assistant that literally doesn't know the rules. Now I don't know what to think.

Or maybe it was something else. What the hell is this?

Yeah why in the world would you raise the flag at that moment?

But in the replays Sanchez looked well offside on the first pass, didn't they take a look at that?

IMO they should hold off until technology makes instant offside calls possible and for the rest of the video reviews you should need 3 replays max - if you aren't sure then, the call on the pitch stands.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Same theory on this as the NHL one

If you can't tell from a 2 second cursory glance that the call was wrong, then it shouldn't change.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Starting Wagner up top, Rudiger & Mustafi over Sule, and neither Kimmich nor Henrichs in midfield. *sigh* Jogi Low, what can be done?

If we swapped Wagner for Werner, Rudiger for Sule, and Mustafi for Henrichs or Can while moving into a 3-3-4; then this team could be good.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Starting Wagner up top, Rudiger & Mustafi over Sule, and neither Kimmich nor Henrichs in midfield. *sigh* Jogi Low, what can be done?

If we swapped Wagner for Werner, Rudiger for Sule, and Mustafi for Henrichs or Can while moving into a 3-3-4; then this team could be good.

Wagner almost scored, Rüdiger is doing his job fine. Australia is playing very poorly so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad