34949600632_1c03e9b546_b.jpg

Kazan Arena (45000)
tass_17661325.jpg

Fisht Arena Sochi (45000)
34360850924_3b179ab2e8_o.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was going to make a thread, thanks for doing it for me. Obviously Mexico/Portugal and Germany/Chile would be the big matchups between the best teams here. Unfortunately not interested in the other teams very much, but I will watch the Russia games against Mexico and Portugal as they'll probably be good.

By the way Cameroon did not even come close to bringing their best team. Judging by paper I'm not sure Russia did either.

Chile on the other hand did, and I expect them to win this tournament. Would that be the first time a team won tournaments three summers in a row?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Portugal is also sending a strong team.

Chile doesn't have the best of defense on paper, but they just always seem to get it done.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Portugal, Chile and Mexico are all sending strong squads. Germany's just sending a B team; and that without many of the top u21s. But there's some interesting talent there if Jogi doesn't squander it so that he can start guys with no NT qualities like Wagner and Demme.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Portugal, Chile and Mexico are all sending strong squads. Germany's just sending a B team; and that without many of the top u21s. But there's some interesting talent there if Jogi doesn't squander it so that he can start guys with no NT qualities like Wagner and Demme.

Demme was ruled out of the Confed Cup with an injury, so there goes that threat ;)

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I was going to make a thread, thanks for doing it for me. Obviously Mexico/Portugal and Germany/Chile would be the big matchups between the best teams here. Unfortunately not interested in the other teams very much, but I will watch the Russia games against Mexico and Portugal as they'll probably be good.

By the way Cameroon did not even come close to bringing their best team. Judging by paper I'm not sure Russia did either.

Chile on the other hand did, and I expect them to win this tournament. Would that be the first time a team won tournaments three summers in a row?

Russia is bringing the best it has available, the team is crippled by injuries

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Rooting for Mexico here to represent CONCACAF well.

Placed a little wager on Chile to win the tournament at +250 odds as well so I'm hoping that they perform.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal has a far far stronger squad than at the Euros despite not having Joao Mario due to injury and Renato Sanches/Cancelo being left for the U-21 tournament.

I would say we are favourites to win due to Germany sending a reserve team but with our fragile mentality and the way we usually start tournaments you can never count us as absolute favourites.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The best we can do with what's left would probably be:

Draxler - Stindl - Werner - Brandt
Can/LeGo - Henrichs
Hector - Sule - *** - Kimmich
ter Stegen

***Mustafi/Rudiger/Ginter/Can​

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Can was good playing CB in a short moment previously, and considering Germany will only play one team better than those they played when he did it, he might slot in there just fine if they ask him to.

But he was great at the 6 this year and is ready to be in a top team playing every game, so I wouldn't understand.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can was good playing CB in a short moment previously, and considering Germany will only play one team better than those they played when he did it, he might slot in there just fine if they ask him to.

But he was great at the 6 this year and is ready to be in a top team playing every game, so I wouldn't understand.

It's more about me rating Kimmich and Henrich more than I do Can; and me not rating Mustafi / Rudiger / Ginter; than it is about finding the best fit for can.

Although he'll probably end up starting next to LeGo with one of Kimmich at RB & Henrich on the bench (if not at LB).

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Portugal has a far far stronger squad than at the Euros despite not having Joao Mario due to injury and Renato Sanches/Cancelo being left for the U-21 tournament.

What makes you say this? The inclusion of Andre Silva and Bernardo Silva?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Andre Silva's link up play, movement, and positioning coupled with his instinct for goal really liberates Ronaldo and lets him play within space between the lines.

Bernardo Silva is self explanatory, and we also have Gelson Martins as our sparkplug off the bench. He's one of the best young wingers in Europe.

Nelson Semedo is also there at rightback. Cedric might be more robust defensively though.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
They showed pictures in a fan Zone. Looked like Soccer lost ground in Russia. Or maybe its just New Zealand.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
They showed pictures in a fan Zone. Looked like Soccer lost ground in Russia. Or maybe its just New Zealand.

Well, New Zealand don't draw many attention in Europe. It's simply not a big name in football. But from what I know as an outsider, football is pretty big in Russsia.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Decent win, but the opponent doesn't really let to tell the whole story.

The game against Mexico will show if this team Russia is any good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad