FIFA Confederations Cup 2017

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Rudy, Sule and Kimmich. Pretty sure more than any other team.

Ah to be fair, they were against Vidal/Alexis, both Bayern property/soon to be....

Even if you counted Süle and Rudy, Leverkusen also had 3. And Hoffenheim had 4 if you count Süle and Rudy for them.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Bayern players are players who actually played for Bayern. Both are not. They'll be next season.

If you're gonna be a ****** about it, I'd argue that Bayern players are players who are under contract at FC Bayern Munich, and, whaddya know, both of them are. C'mon now, cut the crap.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Even if you counted Süle and Rudy, Leverkusen also had 3. And Hoffenheim had 4 if you count Süle and Rudy for them.

But no players from Leverkusen played in today's game.

The 3 Bayern players all did. (Rudy was fantastic IMO.)

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017
Todays finals was entertaining but I'm not used to watching Germany be out-possessed like that. Out of the players that played for Deutschland during the Confederation Cup who makes the jump to the team for the WC next year? I was thoroughly impressed by Leon Goretzka during the tournament.

I can't wait for next summer.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Todays finals was entertaining but I'm not used to watching Germany be out-possessed like that. Out of the players that played for Deutschland during the Confederation Cup who makes the jump to the team for the WC next year? I was thoroughly impressed by Leon Goretzka during the tournament.

I like to guess what the coach would do rather than what I would do. It always turns out to be pointless doing things my way. Keep in mind this post is a complete mess.

Of the players who were in their squad for this game, Germany took Mustafi, Hector, Draxler, Emre Can, Kimmich, and ter-Stegen to Euro 2016. Löw also wanted to take Rudiger, but he was injured. Löw seems to like having a few Mr. Versatility type players in the team, and Can and Kimmich fit that category. But there is a problem because he likes certain players that I don't rate.

Besides that, in this squad I would consider Leno, Sule, and Werner to also be sure things for the WC. Why? Because you have to take three keepers for one. Löw played Werner in every important game and they are weak at forward. So that makes 9 players. 14 more to go.

Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Ozil, Gundogan (if healthy), Khedira, and Gomez are sure things. Gotze who knows, I honestly have no idea. I'm also not 100% sure of Sane because he should have played in this, right?

Then you take into account what the coach would want. He loves Schurrle so automatically in. Howedes automatically in. Let's put Sane in too. He then picks two of Goretzka/Weigl/Can. And if Gotze is healthy then he picks him and there's only one spot for those three. I do not believe he will pick Can if someone isn't injured.

That makes 23. Germany didn't take two left backs last time so I didn't pick a second left back. There will also be somebody to get injured because that's what always happens.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
But no players from Leverkusen played in today's game.

The 3 Bayern players all did. (Rudy was fantastic IMO.)

Yes, Rudy was very good. An underappreciated player.

Kimmich, ter Stegen, and Hector are locks if healthy. I'd think Draxler and Werner are likely as well. Probably Mustafi and Rüdiger as well.
I like to guess what the coach would do rather than what I would do. It always turns out to be pointless doing things my way. Keep in mind this post is a complete mess.

Of the players who were in their squad for this tournament, Germany took Mustafi, Hector, Draxler, Emre Can, Kimmich, and ter-Stegen to Euro 2016. Löw also wanted to take Rudiger, but he was injured. Löw seems to like having a few Mr. Versatility type players in the team, and Can and Kimmich fit that category. But there is a problem because he likes certain players that I don't rate.

Besides that, in this squad I would consider Leno, Sule, and Werner to also be sure things for the WC. Why? Because you have to take three keepers for one. Löw played Werner in every important game and they are weak at forward. So that makes 9 players. 14 more to go.

Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Ozil, Gundogan (if healthy), Khedira, Sane, and Gomez are sure things. Gotze who knows, I honestly have no idea. I'm also not 100% sure of Sane because he should have played in this, right?

Then you take into account what the coach would want. He loves Schurrle so automatically in. Howedes automatically in. He then picks two of Goretzka/Weigl/Can. And if Gotze is healthy then he picks him and there's only one spot for those three.

That makes 23. Germany didn't take two left backs last time so I didn't pick a second left back. There will also be somebody to get injured because that's what always happens.

Gomez is not a sure thing at all. He's getting older and Werner could make him dispensible.

lmnop

Jul 1, 2017

Of the players who were in their squad for this game, Germany took Mustafi, Hector, Draxler, Emre Can, Kimmich, and ter-Stegen to Euro 2016. Löw also wanted to take Rudiger, but he was injured. Löw seems to like having a few Mr. Versatility type players in the team, and Can and Kimmich fit that category. But there is a problem because he likes certain players that I don't rate.

Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Muller, Kroos, Reus, Ozil, Gundogan (if healthy), Khedira, and Gomez are sure things. Gotze who knows, I honestly have no idea. I'm also not 100% sure of Sane because he should have played in this, right?

Then you take into account what the coach would want. He loves Schurrle so automatically in. Howedes automatically in. Let's put Sane in too. He then picks two of Goretzka/Weigl/Can. And if Gotze is healthy then he picks him and there's only one spot for those three. I do not believe he will pick Can if someone isn't injured.

Very well thought out response. Thanks. It will be interesting to see how things break down and still lots of football to be played before the WC and of course injuries always derail even the most perfect of plans. Can was okay but I would definitely prefer Goretzka over him. I liked Werner at the CC but his finishing needs to match his pace. He missed a couple IFIRC.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
As we saw with Klose I think Low will continue running Gomez out there as long he is willing to play.

Yep, that's why I listed him. It is hard to imagine this coach not bringing him. He picks some weird teams.

Difference is that Gomez took a four year hiatus from any non-friendly match with the national team between Euro 2012 and Euro 2016. He played a handful of friendlies, but was injured, on the bench, or not nominated at all for the team's real competitive matches. It took injuries to Reus pre-tournament and Götze among others for him to see any time at Euro 2016.

Klose's run with the team and his favor with Jogi was far more continuous. I don't think Gomez has the same status at all. The depth of German talent is even harder to ignore now than in 2014, too.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Bayern players are players who actually played for Bayern. Both are not. They'll be next season.

If you're gonna be a ****** about it, I'd argue that Bayern players are players who are under contract at FC Bayern Munich, and, whaddya know, both of them are. C'mon now, cut the crap.

Sorry, Bon Esprit, but you're definitely wrong on that, and Seamus has it right. As of two days ago, they're Bayern players. That's just a fact, with proper paperwork to back it up. It's beyond debatable.

That said, I understand why you spoke out against the "Bayern Munich C" thing - that was obviously a weird thing to suggest. This was far from a Munich-dominated national team.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Sorry, Bon Esprit, but you're definitely wrong on that, and Seamus has it right. As of two days ago, they're Bayern players. That's just a fact, with proper paperwork to back it up. It's beyond debatable.

That said, I understand why you spoke out against the "Bayern Munich C" thing - that was obviously a weird thing to suggest. This was far from a Munich-dominated national team.

Also odd to call them Bayern Munich C when we don't yet even know how Süle and Rudy will fit in on the Bayern depth chart. They could both be A players for all we know. ;)

Kimmich was the only player on either the U21 or the Confed Cup team to play for Bayern last year. Hard to imply that Bayern are driving the tournament success or even that they've bought up all the best players already.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Also odd to call them Bayern Munich C when we don't yet even know how Süle and Rudy will fit in on the Bayern depth chart. They could both be A players for all we know. ;)

Kimmich was the only player on either the U21 or the Confed Cup team to play for Bayern last year. Hard to imply that Bayern are driving the tournament success or even that they've bought up all the best players already.

Let it go, it's hopeless.

Yes, both players are property of mighty Bayern München since July 1. I bet both wouldn't find their locker room at Bayern without help today. But whatever...

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Let it go, it's hopeless.

What is hopeless about it? Basically everyone agrees that DrRecchi was wrong to call it a Bayern C-team. It's equally beyond debate that dismissing Rudy and Süle as Bayern players is wrong. You didn't need that off-point to make your argument that this wasn't a Bayern C-team, anyway.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
What is hopeless about it? Basically everyone agrees that DrRecchi was wrong to call it a Bayern C-team. It's equally beyond debate that dismissing Rudy and Süle as Bayern players is wrong. You didn't need that off-point to make your argument that this wasn't a Bayern C-team, anyway.

I wasn't talking about the c-team thing. I was talking about the fact that both players were on your roster for two days when they won the cup and you consider them as Bayern players. Technically you are right, in reality I consider Süle as former Hoffenheim player. That's it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I was talking about the fact that both players were on your roster for two days when they won the cup and you consider them as Bayern players. Technically you are right, in reality I consider Süle as former Hoffenheim player. That's it.

If you aren't even talking about the C-Team thing, which got it all started, that's kinda even worse, becaue you at least had a point there that warranted follow-through on your part. I mean, sure, you can consider all kinds of things to be reality or not, but if your highly personal definition of "Bayern player" doesn't include someone who is currently under contract with Bayern as a football player, you should at least refrain from suggesting anything is "hopeless", as if anyone has to value your personal consideration higher than objective facts. It's not like anyone was talking about three guys as "Bayern products" or implied that their worked their way onto the team as Bayern players, in which case you'd obviously be right and nobody would object.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If you aren't even talking about the C-Team thing, which got it all started, that's kinda even worse, becaue you at least had a point there that warranted follow-through on your part. I mean, sure, you can consider all kinds of things to be reality or not, but if your highly personal definition of "Bayern player" doesn't include someone who is currently under contract with Bayern as a football player, you should at least refrain from suggesting anything is "hopeless", as if anyone has to value your personal consideration higher than objective facts. It's not like anyone was talking about three guys as "Bayern products" or implied that their worked their way onto the team as Bayern players, in which case you'd obviously be right and nobody would object.

Let it go, it's hopeless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->