Ferraro on the Oilers: "Their model for building the team is clearly flawed."

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No, it is very pretty. All the attention Edmonton gets out of this is just a step in the right direction to getting rid of the management group. Four games into the season and it's already as crazy as it was last year. They won't last.. there's just no way. I know Katz loves his buddies and all but it's going to get ugly enough that something has to give.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Wasn't he one of the experts back in 2010 who essentially said it (tanking) was a necessary evil to building a competitive team? Now he's saying the Oilers took the wrong direction? It's easy to look smart when you are able to change your opinion after your original was proven wrong.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Making Ferraro look competent might be the worst thing the Oilers have ever done.

Negative-Nancy.jpg

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
It's easy to look smart when you are able to change your opinion after your original was proven wrong.

Seem better than the Oilers who don't change their opinion even after their original was proven wrong?

And I don't know about Ferraro in particular, but there were plenty of people who were in favor of a rebuild, but against getting offensive winger after offensive winger. Or even people who were in favour of trading some of those wingers back when they had value.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Really?

Hiring an idiot GM whose only qualifications for the role is that he was once an idiot coach, backed by delusional best buddies in Katz/Lowe, whose first hire turned into the biggest disaster of a coach in franchise history... all of which might not be a strong model for building a franchise?

I love that the media is finally starting to attack the sacred cow, but they are a bit late to the party.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
This is good. I hope the Oilers are the topic of many discussions in the media focusing on how poor our management and coaching is. They deserve it.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Really?

Hiring an idiot GM whose only qualifications for the role is that he was once an idiot coach, backed by delusional best buddies in Katz/Lowe, whose first hire turned into the biggest disaster of a coach in franchise history... all of which might not be a strong model for building a franchise?

I love that the media is finally starting to attack the sacred cow, but they are a bit late to the party.
Please.. MacTavish had an MBA. He was obviously qualified for the job.

:sarcasm:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Too bad it won't change anything.

I hope it helps sway public opinion and people the Oilers depend on for revenue into believing the team is a lost cause with it's current leadership of Lowe and friends. Lowe can't stick his nose up at the no-cups people of the world forever, eventually he is going to be associated with falling revenue numbers.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Wasn't he one of the experts back in 2010 who essentially said it (tanking) was a necessary evil to building a competitive team? Now he's saying the Oilers took the wrong direction? It's easy to look smart when you are able to change your opinion after your original was proven wrong.

Tanking is one thing, but when you have no concrete plan following it, then the rebuild was bound to fail.

This rebuild was flawed from the start.

They thought they could build a super team and kapooof, a stanley cup!

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Tanking is a necessary evil for ONE way to building a competitive team. How else do you get a player like Taylor Hall? How is this wrong?

Many teams tank in order to build a competitive team - Pittburgh got Malkin, Colorado get Landeskog, Washington got Ovechkin, Tampa Bay got Stamkos.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tanking is one thing, but when you have no concrete plan following it, then the rebuild was bound to fail.

This rebuild was flawed from the start.

They thought they could build a super team and kapooof, a stanley cup!

I don't know that MacT didn't have a plan, the problem is what is plan b when plan a continues to not work?

Realistically I don't expect any major changes in the next little bit. But if by the end of the month we only have 1 or 2 wins he really has no choice but to do something. So the question is has he given much thought to what he's going to do when that day comes?

If plan b was to hand off to Ramsay, MacT might have to rethink that already too.

So plan c, come on down.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's one thing Ferraro said that has me scared the most. It's something a lot of people have touched on here in the past year or so.

It's something that has me scared to death.

I can’t imagine [Hall] wants to sit there & watch the early part of your career waste away [on a team] that can’t show improvement …

This is a very real possiblity. Star players asking for a trade in this league is nothing new. The Oilers can't afford to screw around any longer or the only superstar this team has developed since Doug Weight is going to pack up his bags and head elsewhere.

It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. And I mean that in all seriousness. Taylor Hall will not put up with this for much longer. And when that eventually happens imagine the all time lows that this organization will face.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
There's one thing Ferraro said that has me scared the most. It's something a lot of people have touched on here in the past year or so.

It's something that has me scared to death.

This is a very real possiblity. Star players asking for a trade in this league is nothing new. The Oilers can't afford to screw around any longer or the only superstar this team has developed since Doug Weight is going to pack up his bags and head elsewhere.

It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of when. And I mean that in all seriousness. Taylor Hall will not put up with this for much longer. And when that eventually happens imagine the all time lows that this organization will face.

Well.. Hall still has his buddies on the team. Let's hope that's enough to keep him here. :laugh:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Well.. Hall still has his buddies on the team. Let's hope that's enough to keep him here. :laugh:

I wonder if Hall has any interest in making an Olympic squad. 3 more years of zero playoff games might not help his case much. Can't read his mind, but I would have to think the guy still has a strong desire to win and make the most of his career. Guess the question is if the organization is still able to trick him into thinking it can happen here under Lowe's leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad