Ferraro on the Oilers: "Their model for building the team is clearly flawed."

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ferraro:

"The coach looked like he didn’t have any answers. Was first time I thought they might not be able to stay the course w the coach"

He's an idiot... it took him THIS LONG to think it's the "first time I thought they might not be able to stay the course".

I and many others have been calling for Eakins head since VERY early last season.

Ferraro is a cucumber in terms of intelligence and is literally only now stepping in the **** when we've all been neck deep in it here for years.

His rant is useless and Captain ****ing Obvious material.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
its easy to say the Oilers did it wrong but the crux of the problem is lack of top 6/4 established NHL'ers - I think the Oilers have had a really difficult time getting those players to come to Edmonton given they were starting or in the middle of a rebuild since 2006. The Avalanche went through the same thing and now they are clicking - one day maybe even this season or even next game the team is going to figure it out and we will be asking who will stop them not save them.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Leadership in the room is the biggest issue ....... Someone that will respectfully grab a player by the throat if his play is not up to par......and I don't mean offensively....I mean the 200 foot game......that is on the coach and captain....someone that the players respect and listen too....or fear ....whatever....a leader that the foot soldiers don't want to let down that shows by example

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Leadership in the room is the biggest issue ....... Someone that will respectfully grab a player by the throat if his play is not up to par......and I don't mean offensively....I mean the 200 foot game......that is on the coach and captain....someone that the players respect and listen too....or fear ....whatever....a leader that the foot soldiers don't want to let down that shows by example

A Pronger or a Souray type of guy. Unfortunately those type of people probably intimidate our management

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

can I just say

NO **** really.

Captian obvious here

we all know they went about it all wrong. take your pick--oilers should have started with either the Pronger or Smyth deal.

2007 draft killed the oilers.

But for drafts (which I have complained about a lot)

Hall was a slam dunk

After the hall pick then we get into the nasty arguement

While I love Yakupov and have been yelling at people to lay off of him--I still think we should have taken Murrey the D man instead

but both Hopkins and Yakupov should have spent another year in junior

And do not get me started on this last seasons UFA signings

Pouliot for 5 years? you do no give guys like that 5 years deals--he will be bought out at some point in time
Fayne--where is all the love that some of you guys had for him when he was signed? I said the time he was a 5/6 d-man and he has done nothing to convince me other wise
Nikitin is only signed for two years and that is the only nice thing I can say about that signing

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pronger, yes.

Souray, no.
Why? Aside from Taylor Hall, Souray was the last guy I can recall who actually played the game like he cared about something other than cashing his paycheck.
And he was certainly the most competent d-man this team has had since Pronger.
But no, lets banish him to the AHL and try to ruin his career for speaking the truth.
Those Oilers ... all class :sarcasm:

Its nice to see nabob (finally) come around on this player. The only thing wrong with Souray was that he was too injury prone.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why? Aside from Taylor Hall, Souray was the last guy I can recall who actually played the game like he cared about something other than cashing his paycheck.
But no, lets banish him to the AHL and try to ruin his career for speaking the truth.
Those Oilers ... all class :sarcasm:

Its nice to see nabob (finally) come around on this player. The only thing wrong with Souray was that he was too injury prone.

Really? All I ever saw this kook do was line up for a slapshot and break his hands fighting stupid fights.

There's a reason he wasn't a hot commodity.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Really? All I ever saw this kook do was line up for a slapshot and break his hands fighting stupid fights.

You also saw him lay some big hits and throw down a few beat downs protecting teammates.

I don't think he was blameless with the way things ended up with him leaving town. He didn't handle it all like a pro but neither did management obviously.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

So you didn't watch hockey in 08/09. Alrighty then, carry on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You also saw him lay some big hits and throw down a few beat downs protecting teammates.

I don't think he was blameless with the way things ended up with him leaving town. He didn't handle it all like a pro but neither did management obviously.

He was a decent defenseman but let's not put his name next to Pronger. That guy was a winner. Souray, not so much.

So you didn't watch hockey in 08/09. Alrighty then, carry on.

I did. I remember him fighting Iginla because he was pissy that Iginla injured him earlier in the year, then he got injured fighting before the team could trade him. Ten cent head, that guy.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He was a decent defenseman but let's not put his name next to Pronger. That guy was a winner. Souray, not so much.

I did. I remember him fighting Iginla because he was pissy that Iginla injured him earlier in the year, then he got injured fighting before the team could trade him. Ten cent head, that guy.

Since I can't edit...

It was next year that Souray injured himself. He had a great year in '09 but the rest of his tenure was mediocre to disasterous.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was next year that Souray injured himself. He had a great year in '09 but the rest of his tenure was mediocre to disasterous.
08/09 Souray was a freaking All-Star. He was one of the five best d-men in the league and worth every penny of his salary (another thing we can't say about any of the current Oilers). He did it all that season. But carry on bashing him because of one fight against Iginla. You certainly aren't alone in that camp.

I'm not going to continue this discussion because its O/T ... and obviously pointless.
Have a good evening.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
Completely disagree with what Strudwick had to say on SC tonight about staying the course and not trading Eberle as he is a special player.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

I'd argue that was actually Lubo ViÅ¡ňovský, but either way, Souray is (sadly?) up there too. His second season as an oiler was something special. He didn't have the same transition game that Vis or Pronger brought, but his deadly slapper from the PP was incredible. And aside from a few brain-farts (that BS Iginla retribution fight), the physical-element was great.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
The oilers 'plan' is not totally unsound the bozos implementing it are.

Yeah, exactly.

Pointing to the Oilers and saying 'rebuilds don't work' is like putting a donkey behind the wheel of your car and then blaming the car when it hits the ditch.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
The most noteworthy thing about Ferraro's comments is that someone still thinks the Oilers have a 'model'.

I think its been clear for awhile they're making this up as they go along.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Eakins is a dead man walking. There is nothing he's capable of doing to stop this from happening. What is MacT waiting for...

This.

The Oilers got progressively worse every single game we have played. He would have to win every single game from now until the end of the month to right this ship and there is better odds of wining the lotto than that happening.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Completely disagree with what Strudwick had to say on SC tonight about staying the course and not trading Eberle as he is a special player.

For the right return trading Eberle is a very good idea.

Problem is we won't get the right return so may as well try to bring in a real coach before trading away Eberle. Who I would agree is a special player and should be kept if possible.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
its easy to say the Oilers did it wrong but the crux of the problem is lack of top 6/4 established NHL'ers - I think the Oilers have had a really difficult time getting those players to come to Edmonton given they were starting or in the middle of a rebuild since 2006. The Avalanche went through the same thing and now they are clicking - one day maybe even this season or even next game the team is going to figure it out and we will be asking who will stop them not save them.

That's quite astute. The reason other bottomed out teams are able to rebuild quicker is that they were able to get higher quality free agents. You can't blame the GM entirely if the players they identify that can help do not want to come here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad