Dreger: Ferland's Market includes the Canucks

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Carolina aint getting a 1st from bubble teams for a ufa to be player. The most these teams will offer is 2nd + top 9 player like 2nd + goldobin from canucks

If some team gonna offer a 1st straight up, it will be a late 1st from contenders like tbl, pittsburgh, calgary.

Canes can ask more than that but no team will bite and ferland walks for free in the summer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What does the hurricanes want for ferland?

1st + prospect is the reported ask - been mentioned about a dozen times in this thread

Carolina aint getting a 1st from bubble teams for a ufa to be player. The most these teams will offer is 2nd + top 9 player like 2nd + goldobin from canucks

If some team gonna offer a 1st straight up, it will be a late 1st from contenders like tbl, pittsburgh, calgary.

Canes can ask more than that but no team will bite and ferland walks for free in the summer.

Canes are happy with a mid/late 1st. First round picks are golden assets in the days/weeks leading up to the Draft. It happens regularly across major sports that a team wants a 1st round pick for a guy and ends up taking the best one available. If I were Vancouver I'd be wary about handing over that 1st as well. Pittsburgh or Calgary are much better targets for the Canes.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Ah gotcha. Pass from Canucks. Especially with the reported salary he may get in off season. I’d only do the deal on conditions and not our 1st. So won’t happen. We may as well wait to off season, if at all.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
Aren't the canes looking for offense? I dont understand why they're even looking to trade him

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aren't the canes looking for offense? I dont understand why they're even looking to trade him

Same reason Canes are dead last in the NHL currently with $40 million in current Cap space. New owner is as cheap as the last one. They can't afford to keep talent that has access to Free Agency fair market value.

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Same reason Canes are dead last in the NHL currently with $40 million in current Cap space. New owner is as cheap as the last one. They can't afford to keep talent that has access to Free Agency fair market value.

Doesn’t sound like Ferland is looking for fair market value. He’s looking to cash in and I can’t say I blame him.

Depending on his demands, not re-signing him doesn’t necessarily make us cheap. It could very well be the right decision. This could play out like David Clarkson V2.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Doesn’t sound like Ferland is looking for fair market value. He’s looking to cash in and I can’t say I blame him.

Depending on his demands, not re-signing him doesn’t necessarily make us cheap. It could very well be the right decision. This could play out like David Clarkson V2.

Could be Blake Wheeler V2 also. Thrashers/Jets don’t regret locking him in.

Ferland is certainly not taking any discounts if 15 teams are reportedly ready to line up for him. That’s the reality of trading for a rental, gotta be prepared to offer what the big boys are offering. He’s going to get ~$5.5-6 million over a 3+ year term and its high because of the success he has had this year. If the Canes weren’t prepared to pay a successful Ferland then I’m not sure why they traded Elias Lindholm for him.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Could be Blake Wheeler V2 also. Thrashers/Jets don’t regret locking him in.

Ferland is certainly not taking any discounts if 15 teams are reportedly ready to line up for him. That’s the reality of trading for a rental, gotta be prepared to offer what the big boys are offering. He’s going to get ~$5.5-6 million over a 3+ year term.

I think he’s going to get a lot of term and to be honest, that would scare me more than the dollar amount.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Sometimes this can be an issue down the road though. They shoot themselves in the foot. Want too much $ and few years down the road they are out of a job as team buys them out.

Would you rather take a bit less and play 8+ more years. Or cash in and be out of an NHL job in 3?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
is Ferland that good? He's being talked about like a superstar difference maker.

Ferland is a superstar difference maker when healthy. He's had injury troubles the last calendar year though.

When he's on his game he's a top line power forward that can dominate with passing, skating, shooting, hitting, fighting, all while never taking bad penalties. And he's on his game whenever he's healthy.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Next season will be Ferland's Age 28 year. Powerforwards have early expiry date. I cannot see him being productive after 4 or 5 years. But some insane GM will no doubt offer the 7 years.

Someone's going to throw 7x7 at Ferland out of desperation.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
He's a bum in the sense that he isn't worth the price especially given he will want Tom Wilson money in the summer.

Tom Wilson was a huge contributing factor in the caps cup win. There are a limited number of these guys in the league that can score, be physical, and provide the kind of toughness that Ferland does. I would sign him in a heartbeat in free agency, he is a perfect fit.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Ferland is a superstar difference maker when healthy. He's had injury troubles the last calendar year though.

When he's on his game he's a top line power forward that can dominate with passing, skating, shooting, hitting, fighting, all while never taking bad penalties. And he's on his game whenever he's healthy.
I think he's great as a Cane but uh...I dunno about that

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Next season will be Ferland's Age 28 year. Powerforwards have early expiry date. I cannot see him being productive after 4 or 5 years. But some insane GM will no doubt offer the 7 years.

Someone's going to throw 7x7 at Ferland out of desperation.

He is 26 years old. He’s only played a tick above 300 games. He’s got lots of miles left. I agree 7 years is too much but 5 would be a good term around 6 million for a guy with his skillset.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Was reported that it is his back.

I don't think it is... Waking up in the morning "not feeling great" does not sound like a back issue, but I might be wrong.

He uses similar wording than when he talked about his concussion in December.

“I think I finished the night with five hits and after the game something didn’t feel right,” the Canes forward said Monday. “I had concussion symptoms, feeling in a fog, things like that.”

https://www.tsn.ca/ferland-on-concussions-i-m-very-concerned-1.1224477

However, it would be really stupid to put him in the line-up/make him travel with the team if it is concussion-related, though, so you might be right.

Where have you read it is a back issue?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I don't think it is... Waking up in the morning "not feeling great" does not sound like a back issue, but I might be wrong. However, it would be really stupid to put him in the line-up/make him travel with the team if it is concussion-related, though, so you might be right.

Where have you read it is a back issue?

Here are the two tweets that I am referencing as being back and not head that is the issue:

and then this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad