Dreger: Ferland's Market includes the Canucks

member 290103

Surprised Dreger has not started a set of rumours about how hot a commodity Liljegren is and how the Leafs are demanding a Norris Trophy calibre d-man with term in return for him and how all GM's he talks to think that this sort of a price is a steal for whoever acquires Liljegren........etc.

I hate Dreger.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That price seems ridiculous. Who has more value a rental winger that’s best season was 21 goals and 41 points or a defenseman like Muzzin who is not a rental? It is not even close in my opinion. Not only is Muzzin the much better player he is also not a rental. If the asking price for Muzzin is a 1st and a prospect then who is paying a 1st and prospect for Ferland?

Heck I remember getting Hossa for not much more than that as a rental and he was 10 times the player Ferland was. We also got Dupuis in that deal and he was the next best player in that deal. I think we gave a 1st, Armstrong, and Christinsen, and some other scrub I can’t remember. I hope Rutherford is not in on Ferland for that price. I doubt it because Rutherford usually doesn’t go the rental route very often. Waste of assets, rather spend 1st and prospect on someone with term.
It's not about the relative value of different players between different years. It's all about supply and demand in the trade market.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I really like Ferland but 24 months from now we are going to be reading threads about how team XYZ can get rid of his contract.

That concussion issue is really concerning, especially for a rental this year... Don't think it would be wise for a GM to spend quality assests on a player that "does not feel great" (dixit Brind'Amour) more than 2 months after a concussion.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I don't trust anything Dreger has to say regarding the Canucks...

that being said, It's a pass for me unless there's an extension in place.

if he's asking for more than what Horvat is getting, it's a hell no.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Ferland is going to be overpaid

He is a good player but he showed up about 20% of the time. Maybe he improved to 30% now.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, this has overpayment written all over it. Pass.

Canucks shoukd not be serious UFA cNdidates....keep building

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Dreger was only good at getting the inside story on the Canucks was when Nonis was part of the organization. When he left and went to Toronto, his inside on the Canucks stopped and he became much better on the Leafs.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Vorkosh

Jan 16, 2012
The first is a non starter, 2nd and Goldobin is probably the most I'd do for an upcoming UFA 2nd conditional on him signing

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I like Ferland. At the right trade price + extension I would be OK with it.

I don't know if I trust Benning to do either of those things though.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It's not about the relative value of different players between different years. It's all about supply and demand in the trade market.

I am sure the demand for Hossa was also high. Like I said he was 10 times the player. Also I also brought up the example of Muzzin this year who is a much better player at a more important position and has term left. If the Kings are looking for a 1st and prospect for Muzzin then I can’t see Ferland getting that much. I would be very upset if Rutherford did that for a rental. Waste of assets. Hope he looks for someone with term.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He'd look amazing playing with EP over the next half decade. Gotta say.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm a big Ferland fan. He can be absolutely dominant in all facets of the game at times. He didn't start playing organized hockey until his teens though and often disappears for 20 games straight. But when he's on he is a force.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Why wouldn't VAN wait to UFA?

The team is rebuilding and not in a position to move prospects or picks.

Yes this Jim Benning is not in a hurry guys - we have at least 2-3 years until our newly drafted D prospect will blossom and hopefully create a huge impact in NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad