98.5 The Sports Hub Felger: Don’t fall in love with your entire roster

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As we get closer to the NHL trade deadline, the Bruins seem to constantly be in the rumor mill. A few have mentioned that the Bruins don’t want to mess up the chemistry in the locker room, which could make a few players on the roster “untouchable”. Felger has a message for those people….don’t fall in love with your entire roster.

I kind of agree....

I know some have come to like/embrace Foligno. But I would trade him if a decent offer was brought to the table

Same with Grz

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I kind of agree....

I know some have come to like/embrace Foligno. But I would trade him if a decent offer was brought to the table

Same with Grz
Chemistry is a real thing that they need to avoid f***ing with. Both Gryz and Foligno are too well liked in the locker room to trade imo, especially foligno who is probably second only to Bergeron just in terms of locker room presence on this team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I kind of agree....

Same with Grz

There's no need to trade either, imho. Both contribute in different ways to the club. Gryz is a valuable, modestly compensated playmaking D. This season, Nick has provided hustle, physicality, and a bit of offense (7-13-20 in 51 games). He's also a good egg and a valuable locker room presence.

I don't believe the Bruins would get much in return for either, or both. Adding them to a multi-player deal for real return -- like Dylan Larkin -- makes little sense and it's doubtful other teams would bite on a package including them.

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There's no need to trade either, imho. Both contribute in different ways to the club. Gryz is a valuable, modestly compensated playmaking D. This season, Nick has provided hustle, physicality, and a bit of offense (7-13-20 in 51 games). He's also a good egg and a valuable locker room presence.

I don't believe the Bruins would get much in return for either, or both. Adding them to a multi-player deal for real return -- like Dylan Larkin -- makes little sense and it's doubtful other teams would bite on a package including them.
Grz has his struggles in the playoffs. Teams are instructed to dump softly and lay heavy checks. In addition, jussle with him in front of the net.... since whistles are put away

I dont dislike Grz ... but this is the reality

Foligno ... while a nice leader. Has clearly lost a step. I have no idea why Monty even tries to give him 3rd line mins

I'm a big fan of Lauko for example. So if it is between Lauko or Foligno to play. I would choose Lauko

Less leadership/experience. But brings more to the table in terms of speed, endurance, forcheck, retrieve puck

For example against a team like Caroline Hurricanes in the playoffs. I would want Lauko and Schenn (lets say as a trade at the deadline acquisition) in the lineup

Reactions: GordonHowe

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He just doesn't get it. There's a difference between love and reason, for this season anyway. Debrusk is a wing, Horvat is a center. Remove Debrusk, and somehow believe that a left shot center can just change to right wing and be an improvement?

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
The Bruins didn't fall in love with their roster in 2011...
Your sure of that!!!! I think they added and it is ok, but needs to fit the core group imo. Best team and Chemistry seems logical to fit together!

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
As we get closer to the NHL trade deadline, the Bruins seem to constantly be in the rumor mill. A few have mentioned that the Bruins don’t want to mess up the chemistry in the locker room, which could make a few players on the roster “untouchable”. Felger has a message for those people….don’t fall in love with your entire roster.

IMO .... being in love with the roster and taking in account the team chemistry are two different thing. Secondly, removing team chemistry from the equation to ice the best team is .... a mistake. I understand that if you CAN upgrade you do so.... but you need to think icing the best team and that include imo taking into account the team chemistry.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

you lost me at ‘Felger’.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Grz has his struggles in the playoffs. Teams are instructed to dump softly and lay heavy checks. In addition, jussle with him in front of the net.... since whistles are put away

Foligno ... while a nice leader. Has clearly lost a step. I have no idea why Monty even tries to give him 3rd line mins

I'm a big fan of Lauko for example. So if it is between Lauko or Foligno to play. I would choose Lauko

Less leadership/experience. But brings more to the table in terms of speed, endurance, forcheck, retrieve puck

For example against a team like Caroline Hurricanes in the playoffs. I would want Lauko and Schenn (lets say as a trade at the deadline acquisition) in the lineup

Didn't Lauko do all of that crazy endurance and strength training last off season? What did he do again? I was very impressed by his commitment and work ethic.

But, if I recall, he was given a chance early on this season, and did not stick.

Am I wrong?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd trade just about anyone on this roster for the right price. With that being said, they have a solid roster with just a few holes. There is no reason to go crazy and overpay grossly for a pending UFA at the deadline. I wouldn't go making wholesale changes to this roster because it's shown it can compete with most teams in the league. So maybe a rental for a pick or two or a prospect like Beecher, but that's about it. BTW, I'd move Beecher for pretty much anything because he's not a guy I expect anything out of.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are people comparing DeBrusk & Beauvillier in that Horvat trade?

DeBrusk is way better.

Agreed Dubrusk is way better. Of course the Bruins offer would have to be way better somewhere as of course, the bruins #1 is far less valuable than the islanders #1 at this point.

that said were you going to acquire Horvat to make him first line RW? Because of course we are building a team, and not the best collection of individual talent. So any move they make does have to be a calculated choice about how said player raises the value of the entire team

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You need someone to drop the gloves or keep the dirty crap in check. No Foligno isn’t better than Lauko now but he is tougher. Difficult one.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I would absolutely move Gryz before the trade deadline if we can upgrade his spot. 100% without worry.

In a package deal?

They're obviously not going to improve D by trading him one for one. They're also unlikely to find an upgrade who is as cheap or cheaper than Matt.

But hey, there are few roster players or assets I would not part with if that meant improving the club this season and in future.

At present and going forward, the B's have enough on the wings.

The Bruins are deep at center this year. Yet the almost certain subtraction of Bergeron and Krejčí next year leaves a gaping hole at this critical position. Immediate help is not coming from the farm.

Captain Obvious says: bolstering depth at center in both the near and long term with the acquisition of Larkin or a similar solution makes eminent sense.

FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad