98.5 The Sports Hub Felger: Don’t fall in love with your entire roster

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As we get closer to the NHL trade deadline, the Bruins seem to constantly be in the rumor mill. A few have mentioned that the Bruins don’t want to mess up the chemistry in the locker room, which could make a few players on the roster “untouchable”. Felger has a message for those people….don’t fall in love with your entire roster.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Kegs

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
He's not wrong.

For something to come in, something else has to go out. If Chiarelli was too enamored with his homegrown guys and didn't want to lose Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart because of chemistry, the Bruins never win that cup.

For anything to go on at the deadline, at the very least Craig Smith is being added into the package for salary reasons, and he seems to be a good guy that everyone likes. But also we can't be shocked if another roster player that we aren't expecting to lose also gets traded to allow a better player in.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Why wouldn’t we give up Debrusk for Horvat? Maybe because Debrusk is a 30 goal scorer guy now (obviously hindered by the injury) who was the Bruins best forward for a month and is locked up for another year in the 4s? Is Bo Horvat really better than Jake Debrusk for this team right now?

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022
I think you can definitely upgrade a few spots. Another top 9 forward and at least 2 or 3 defenseman I wouldn't mind upgrading from.
Yea but the point would be to get a top nine guy so someone can move down to the fourth (frederic) not make some lateral move. I have a feeling your picks for D are Forbort Gryz and Carlo, but Id wager that Gryz is due for some heavy positive regression in the playoffs, as well as forbort is the perfect 7D. again im not in love with everyone on the roster, but i highly doubt any regulars are gone

Reactions: Gordoff

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022
Why wouldn’t we give up Debrusk for Horvat? Maybe because Debrusk is a 30 goal scorer guy now (obviously hindered by the injury) who was the Bruins best forward for a month and is locked up for another year in the 4s? Is Bo Horvat really better than Jake Debrusk for this team right now?
A wise man once said “Someone has to walk me through how the Bruins can afford Horvat. Without that it doesn’t make sense to me - long term. Rental sure.”

DeBrusk is perfect for our top 6 that has little straight ahead speed. No need for Horv.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yea but the point would be to get a top nine guy so someone can move down to the fourth (frederic) not make some lateral move. I have a feeling your picks for D are Forbort Gryz and Carlo, but Id wager that Gryz is due for some heavy positive regression in the playoffs, as well as forbort is the perfect 7D. again im not in love with everyone on the roster, but i highly doubt any regulars are gone

But you might not be able to upgrade your top 9 or any of those D without moving someone from the roster. That's the point he made, and I don't think it's a particularly crazy one. It's easy to fall in love with your roster/players, and also to worry about what a change might do to "chemistry," but that can blow up in your face. You just need to be open to making a difficult decision.

Matt8871

Jan 10, 2022
But you might not be able to upgrade your top 9 or any of those D without moving someone from the roster. That's the point he made, and I don't think it's a particularly crazy one. It's easy to fall in love with your roster/players, and also to worry about what a change might do to "chemistry," but that can blow up in your face. You just need to be open to making a difficult decision.
The point he made was why were fans not open to including DeBrusk in a trade for Horvat. I share your sentiment, however this is a silly article to try to defend that has no substance. I think this team has the right mix of chemistry and skill right now, and any big shakeups might heck it up. Don’t think we need to crush many pillars here, just some depth upgrades.

I’m all four a f*** you 4c and i dont think it costs more than our first if that (ROR or Toews) then a LD and RD that allows us to rotate Forbs and Clifton in and out.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Seems like a strange article about a franchise who could have their best season ever.

I would like a better bottom pair, and maybe another 3rd liner but if you don’t “fall in love” with this roster then I guess there will never be one you do

Felger is a shit stirrer. If things were trending towards a big move, he'd argue against it. His shtick is so transparent you can read a newspaper through it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Felger is a shit stirrer. But, Celtics fans will remember how much trading Perkins just destroyed that team. Different sport where individual guys have way more on court impact (and off court since the rosters are smaller), but the "don't mess with the chemistry" folks aren't insane, either.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
As anyone ever fell in love with the club's roster?
There are always weaknesses.
You are right , every team should be looking to better their roster if possible ......... Felger talks hockey when he has run out of the boring NBA talk , has decided not bitch about Belichek , some shit Red Sox talk , and than try's to talk intelligent hockey which he is not capable of along with those two #@$$ heads, " I will nod my head at anything you Tony Mazz " oh don't forget "Cannabis Murray "

A wise man once said “Someone has to walk me through how the Bruins can afford Horvat. Without that it doesn’t make sense to me - long term. Rental sure.”

DeBrusk is perfect for our top 6 that has little straight ahead speed. No need for Horv.
And for cap strapped team he is a helluva lot cheaper..........

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I kinda get what he's saying, I've seen more than a few guys say no way we should trade Trent Frederic this season - seems like exactly the type of piece you trade high on if you can get something helpful for this season and beyond this year, especially if you think he is about to get a raise.

I'm also a guy who says no way we should trade Carlo, but maybe he's the type of guy you don't 'fall in love with' and overpay on his next contract.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
T
As we get closer to the NHL trade deadline, the Bruins seem to constantly be in the rumor mill. A few have mentioned that the Bruins don’t want to mess up the chemistry in the locker room, which could make a few players on the roster “untouchable”. Felger has a message for those people….don’t fall in love with your entire roster.

They lost me at “Anthony Beauvillier is the equivalent of jdb”

Anthony Beauvillier isn’t in the same universe.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
I put little stock into anything that comes out of Felgers mouth, no real hockey fan would go on record like he did to say that he would prefer to settle the Stanley Cup Playoffs via shootout rather than double,triple OT.

• Haha

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Going to be real interesting to see what the bruins do to improve their team...maybe it's a do nothing approach but doubt Sweeney doesn't switch it up...

Also looking forward to watching Horvat impact in New York.

Reactions: Gordoff and Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad