Tennis: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic: How many majors will they have and who will hold the record

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Comp will get better on HCs but not on grass. Besides the big 3, no one on tour is a good grass court player right now.

All of the younger players have terrible track records on the lawns and that includes Thiem, Medvedev, Stefanos, Shapo, and Zverev. Grass is also Stan's worse surface, while some of the former top 10 players like Cilic, Berdych and Tsonga - all very good grass courters - are long past their primes. Raonic should be a deadly player on grass but he's hurt way too often, and same with Kyrgios but the dude is a straight up nutjob/headcase.

Kyrgios is very talented, but I expected him to grow up by now. Novak dealt with his issues by the time he was 25, and they were nowhere near as glaring. Nick still seems like he has a trash attitude and values the wrong things out of tennis. I don't think he'll ever end up reaching where he should have inside and outside of the game.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Kyrgios is very talented, but I expected him to grow up by now. Novak dealt with his issues by the time he was 25, and they were nowhere near as glaring. Nick still seems like he has a trash attitude and values the wrong things out of tennis. I don't think he'll ever end up reaching where he should have inside and outside of the game.
Nick has said before he doesn't even like tennis. Whether or not he was being serious I am not sure, but I think there is at least some truth to that. He enjoys playing FIFA and basketball more. I love watching the guy, but I don't expect to see him fulfill his potential.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Nick has said before he doesn't even like tennis. Whether or not he was being serious I am not sure, but I think there is at least some truth to that. He enjoys playing FIFA and basketball more. I love watching the guy, but I don't expect to see him fulfill his potential.

Agassi said the same. Maybe punching a golden ticket is just like many of us; doing something to make a living instead of for passion. Still, if he is just showing up for a paycheck, I'd rather he showed a modicum of respect for the guys who actually love the game as opposed to being openly antagonistic towards guys like Nadal and Djokovic. Even Zverev. And I agree with Kyrgios on the pandemic stuff, but he's the most eager guy in tennis to take a shot at anyone else. There are always guys in sports who don't live up to their potential, but the bigger disappointment is him simply not growing up.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Something similar said also Alexander Daigle about ice-hockey, didnt he? He dosnt like playing hockey, but he is good and they paid him big bucks, so he plays.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Something similar said also Alexander Daigle about ice-hockey, didnt he? He dosnt like playing hockey, but he is good and they paid him big bucks, so he plays.
And the truth is there is nothing wrong with that. If he's good enough to be a top 20 player in the world without giving it his all then all the power to him. For us fans it can be a bit disappointing, but it's his livelihood not ours.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Update thread

I think Novak will get to 20/21 while Nadal gets to 22/23

Fed is probably going to finish with 20

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Update thread

I think Novak will get to 20/21 while Nadal gets to 22/23

Fed is probably going to finish with 20

This is it for Fed IMO.

Lot will depend what happens this year. Rafa probably wins FO but if Novak can do both Wimbledon and US I think he'll end up with more than Rafa when it's all said and done.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is it for Fed IMO.

Lot will depend what happens this year. Rafa probably wins FO but if Novak can do both Wimbledon and US I think he'll end up with more than Rafa when it's all said and done.
If it is s three way tie by the end of the year, I think the GOAT has to be Novak. I say this despite my favourite players being Roger and Rafa. Djokovic just would have the best case. Roger will be the Babe Ruth of the three and Rafa the greatest on a single surface. That would be some solace. But Nole would wear the crown.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
If it is s three way tie by the end of the year, I think the GOAT has to be Novak. I say this despite my favourite players being Roger and Rafa. Djokovic just would have the best case. Roger will be the Babe Ruth of the three and Rafa the greatest on a single surface. That would be some solace. But Nole would wear the crown.
Nole will have to comprehensively win the slam race for the public to view him as the GOAT tbh. He's just not a very popular player (at least compared to Fedal) and his relationship with the media has always been a bit wonky

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole will have to comprehensively win the slam race for the public to view him as the GOAT tbh. He's just not a very popular player (at least compared to Fedal) and his relationship with the media has always been a bit wonky
It's not a popularity contest. "The People's Choice" Award will always be Roger unless Nole does something crazy and wins a calendar year Slam or discovers a cure for cancer. Popularity and whom the media likes doesn't really enter into the equation. Whose accomplishments outweigh the other two is all that should count.

Reactions: Filppula

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's not a popularity contest. "The People's Choice" Award will always be Roger unless Nole does something crazy and wins a calendar year Slam or discovers a cure for cancer. Popularity and whom the media likes doesn't really enter into the equation. Whose accomplishments outweigh the other two is all that should count.
Yeah but no one other than actual tennis fans seem to recognize Djokovic's achievements. Many people I know who are very casual tennis followers were shocked to hear Novak was that close to Nadal and Federer in slams won.

In order for one to be recognized as the GOAT, enough people need to be like ah so and so is just better than the best and unless Novak wins like 5 more slams than both Fedal or does something crazy as you mentioned

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Updated after French Open 2021:
Federer - 20
Nadal - 20
Djokovic - 19

It seems, that Federer career is on downfall. After 2018 Australian Open win he was in finals only once: 2019 Wimbledon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think Fed wins another major. Nadal probably gets around another two French Opens and maybe either a random Aussie or US Open. I think Joker sails past both though, he’s the favorite going into at least three of the majors for the next couple years minimum (and a prohibitive favorite at Wimbledon and Down Under) unless someone else makes a jump ASAP.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Right now Djokovic has the inside track to finish with the most. But I'm always cautious about such things. In 2011 if a person would have said that Federer would win 4 grand slams over the next decade, people would have thought that person was nuts.
I think Nadal is the favorite to win to at least the next couple of French Opens. Outside of that, harder to say.
Djokovic could be on another run, and collect a few more titles.
Federer maybe I think has one more left in him.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think Federer is done winning majors, Nadal will get one or two more RGs (he just isn't good enough on hard courts anymore IMO, but the ball really sits up in NY so it's not impossible that a bit of luck can come together for him to win another USO), and Djokovic will grab at least 4 more.

I think finishing at 23 for Djokovic, 21 for Nadal, and 20 for Fed is a pretty reasonable guess.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don’t think Fed wins another major. Nadal probably gets around another two French Opens and maybe either a random Aussie or US Open. I think Joker sails past both though, he’s the favorite going into at least three of the majors for the next couple years minimum (and a prohibitive favorite at Wimbledon and Down Under) unless someone else makes a jump ASAP.
The last time that Nadal beat Djokovic on hard courts was at the US Open in....wait for it....2013. Since Beijing of that year, Nole has been 9-0 against Rafa on hard courts in the last eight years. I have difficulty seeing Rafa winning another hard court GS unless somebody eliminates Nole first. Tall order, these days.

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Updated after Wimbledon 2021:
Federer - 20
Nadal - 20
Djokovic - 20

Djokovic seems unstoppable now. US Open and he will have 21. There is possibility, he could have at the end 25 majors. He is relative young, Federer is too old and on decline, Nadal is not such all-ground master like Djokovic. And there isnt a new guy, who could regularly defeat Djokovic for some years.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We're at the point I have occasionally wished for, with all three great players at 20 slams. That being said, I have to revise my estimate of how many Nole will get:

Roger

Has 20, will end at 20

Rafa

has 20, maximum possible 22, most likely 20

Nole

Has 20, maximum possible 24, most likely 23

Nole is the clear GOAT right now; he doesn't need anymore Slams to prove it (argument in support of this position is on the current Wimbledon page).

In Djokovic's "likely" 23 GSs, I don't include the US Open '21. The bottom of the Marianas trench-type pressure of trying to achieve a calendar Grand Slam will be unlike anything Nole has ever faced before. I think that it is going to be too much, simple as that. I wish him luck, though, and hope he achieves it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Apropos of nothing at all, but kind of interesting. After Nole's win at Wimbledon, the BBC is running a pole as to who people consider the GOAT in tennis. Here are the final results:

Federer: 56%
Nole: 37%
Rafa: 7%

Djokovic should win 25 Slams - McEnroe

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Apropos of nothing at all, but kind of interesting. After Nole's win at Wimbledon, the BBC is running a pole as to who people consider the GOAT in tennis. With one day to go before the voting closes, here are the results:

Federer: 55%
Nole: 38%

Short term I think there’s no way the media and popular narrative will ever accept Nole as the goat. But I think down the road Noles legacy will finally be looked at in a better light.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Apropos of nothing at all, but kind of interesting. After Nole's win at Wimbledon, the BBC is running a pole as to who people consider the GOAT in tennis. With one day to go before the voting closes, here are the results:

Federer: 55%
Nole: 38%

It would be more illuminating with the reasons behind some of the votes.

Streetsamurai

Nov 1, 2019
Roger was always the most popular of the three, so hell always wins these kind of polls. Still, i cant see an argument for him since Novak beats him in pretty much every metrics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad