Tennis: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic: How many majors will they have and who will hold the record

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
I believe Nole will finish with the most slams and if he does, it will be hard to argue against him being the GOAT, although I still think Nadal has some gas left in the tank.

As for Federer, he is washed.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I believe Nole will finish with the most slams and if he does, it will be hard to argue against him being the GOAT, although I still think Nadal has some gas left in the tank.

As for Federer, he is washed.
I think it’s tough to argue against him being the GOAT as it is right now. But I’d be shocked if Nole didn’t end his career with the most slams of the 3.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Djokovic doesn't win the 2016 french open without Nadal injured. He also racked up 8 more grand slam after that during a weak era, with Nadal and Federer completely cooked. His record isn't as anywhere as impressive, much like Maurice Richard scoring 50 goals in 50 games in a league depleted of all its talent.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Who is going to win slams if not Novak and Rafa? You're going to need more than just someone breaking through every so often to keep them each from 4-6 more. There is just not the depth nor, it seems, a budding elite player ready to snatch titles from them (not that there hasn't been a litany of pretenders). Sure, someone will eventually win these things because these guys age out (looks like Feds already has), but the game has looked pretty much the same for 15 years.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The only thing stopping Djokovic from being the GOAT at this point is himself.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Updated as of June 5, 2022.

Nadal - 22
Federer - 20
Djokovic - 20

I think as of right now, Nadal is clearly GOAT although Novak seems confident that he can still challenge for more slams as long as he's allowed to play in them

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Does Alcaraz become the fly in the ointment in this battle? If so, Nole's GS total will suffer the most, as there is a good chance both Roger and Rafa could retire fairly soon.

I think how Nadal has won his last two Slams adds points to his "greatest" argument beyond the collection of more trophies. He already had a reputation for heart, tenacity and character but his performance in so many matches this year that he had no business winning pushes that reputation up to 11, maybe 12. Greatness should have an element of legendary, and Rafa certainly has reached that stature and beyond.

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Does Alcaraz become the fly in the ointment in this battle? If so, Nole's GS total will suffer the most, as there is a good chance both Roger and Rafa could retire fairly soon.

I think how Nadal has won his last two Slams adds points to his "greatest" argument beyond the collection of more trophies. He already had a reputation for heart, tenacity and character but his performance in so many matches this year that he had no business winning pushes that reputation up to 11, maybe 12. Greatness should have an element of legendary, and Rafa certainly has reached that stature and beyond.
Alcaraz, Medvedev, and Felix will be the biggest third-party factors of the slam race imo. These three can protect Rafa's lead over Novak in the slams as Alcaraz is probably going to contend at each non-grass major, Med is clearly one of the very elites on HCs, and Felix might be the one to stop him at Wimbledon.

Zverev's injury casts some doubt in his near future as that type of injury will take some time to fully return to 100% from and Stefanos' game isn't complete enough at the moment. Guys like Rublev, Shapo, Matteo, and Ruud are great players but I feel like they will be the Tsonga's, Berdych's, and Ferrer's of this next generation where they're always in the latter stages of slams but end as the bridesmaid.

I'm also not sure what factor Dominic Thiem can play going forward. New generation could trouble the Austrian and he's already achieved what he wanted although it'd be nice to see him win the French Open one day.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
We're at the point I have occasionally wished for, with all three great players at 20 slams. That being said, I have to revise my estimate of how many Nole will get:

Roger

Has 20, will end at 20

Rafa

has 20, maximum possible 22, most likely 20

Nole

Has 20, maximum possible 24, most likely 23

Nole is the clear GOAT right now; he doesn't need anymore Slams to prove it (argument in support of this position is on the current Wimbledon page).

In Djokovic's "likely" 23 GSs, I don't include the US Open '21. The bottom of the Marianas trench-type pressure of trying to achieve a calendar Grand Slam will be unlike anything Nole has ever faced before. I think that it is going to be too much, simple as that. I wish him luck, though, and hope he achieves it.
Here was the update.

I could see Nole landing on 22 rather than 23, though, now.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Updated predictions after the just-concluded French Open. Unsure whether Novak will even get to 20 now (IMO the crowd will NOT be on his side at any major next year given the multiple faux-pas he's committed this year), but fairly confident that Rafa will end up with the most majors when all is said and done.

Nadal: 22 ('21 FO, '22 FO)
Federer: 20
Djokovic: 20 ('21 AO, '21 Wimby, '22 AO)

Updated predictions after the 2022 French Open.

Nadal: 23 ('23 FO)
Djokovic: 21 ('22 Wimby)
Federer: 20

I've got either Medvedev or Alcaraz winning the 22 USO, and starting with that major I expect a changing of the guard from the GOAT generation to the next/sunshine generation of players born close to or after the millennium.

Also expecting Federer to retire this year and Nadal the next. As for Djokovic while he's got more tennis in him than his GOAT peers I don't think he'll ever be the same irresistible force he used to be. Moreover I both hope and expect that the crowd and other intangibles will propel the leading lights of the next generation over the finish line against him – if and when he gets another chance to catch Nadal for the all-time GS record.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This year's Wimbledon at the moment almost seems like a "gimme" for Djokovic. If he loses it, that could have some repercussions on the GS race in a big way.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Nadal - double career slam
Djokovic - double career slam
Federer - one career slam

Sorry chief but that statement is inaccurate
Why would you look at it in such a narrow scope. So because Federer didn't win two French Opens he's not as good as Nadel. How about his 6 tour final wins to Nadels zero. Nadel only has 6 GS wins outside the French Open. Like I said, he's the king of clay and the other two were better all around players.

Reactions: I am not exposed

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why would you look at it in such a narrow scope. So because Federer didn't win two French Opens he's not as good as Nadel. How about his 6 tour final wins to Nadels zero. Nadel only has 6 GS wins outside the French Open. Like I said, he's the king of clay and the other two were better all around players.
8 GSs actually, not 6. I think your argument has some merit, but Rafa's second Australian Open win makes it more of a moot point just as Roger's French Open win closed off some arguments about his record on clay.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Nadal was a better all court player than Federer. He had better results on grass than Federer did on clay for example.

Something else to consider is Nadal spent his entire career up against both Federer and Djokovic's prime years.

Federer was able to dominate the 04-08 period where Nadal hadn't reached his prime yet and same with Djokovic. He was able to rack up 12 slams in an era where outside of clay his stiffest competition was Andy Roddick and David Nalbandian.

Most of Nadal and Djokovic's haul has come with the other at the top of their game and for a good portion of that also Federer.

I realize there was a brief period where both Nadal and Federer were out for an extended time with injuries and ineffective when on court and during that time Djokovic cleaned up like it was nobody's business, but even that only accounts for 4-6 slams.

I should also add that Nadal has 8 slams outside of the French, not 6. 2 at each of AO and Wimbledon and 4 at the US.

Reactions: 1989

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad