GDT: Feb 26, 7PM | Hurricanes @ Capitals

mgilmartin

Dec 19, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Surprised at how many here seem to think that effort, not talent, is the problem.

A reminder:

Faulk - Corvo
Harrison - Gragnani
Sanguinetti - Murphy

Talent is certainly a problem right now with all the injuries to key players, but it's also that the players who are on the ice largely don't seem to try all that often.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
it certianly wasn't there in the first two periods.. they were battling a little better here in the third..

But even max effort on Thursday, I don't expect to beat the pens..

Yeah definitely not.

2 3-game losing streaks in a 7 game span, regardless of injury status or reason, is going to be tough to swallow this season.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
not to mention that when you take Skinner out, you've got one scoring line. effort will only carry you so far.

The problem here is that, is this concussion Skinner's last?

If he comes back like last year, and he regularly gets injured, than we can expect 40 games of dominant, PPG Skinner, 20 games lost to injury and 20 games where he's playing tentatively and is not nearly effective.

When Skinner is in the lineup and he's healthy, he's a PPG winger. He creates a matchup hell for other teams, and allow one of our two lines to get cupcake assignments.

It's not a coincidence that, as soon as he stopped scoring a goal a game, that Eric's line got red hot. And it's not a coincidence that, once Skinner was injured, Staal's line suddenly went into a slump.

If we could get a winger like Skinner that isn't so often injured, perhaps we should consider it? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Evander Kane or Jamie Benn. Impact winger.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
One thing's for sure, the next time we give up 5 or more goals, the blame is going to invariably shift from the team not wanting it enough to Cam Ward not being a starting caliber goaltender in the NHL.

Beardy*

Yeah definitely not.

2 3-game losing streaks in a 7 game span, regardless of injury status or reason, is going to be tough to swallow this season.
I would not be shocked to see that hold us out of the playoffs...

That road trip has been negated by horrible play against the division. They're lucky they're even in the playoff picture right now

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Half this team could be placed on waivers, claimed (this is hypothetical - of course no one would actually claim them) and replaced with random veteran league minimum signings and it would make no difference.

LaRose, Nash, Jokinen, Dalpe, Westgarth, Gragnani, Sanguinetti, Bowman, Welsh = waiver fodder, below replacement-level garbage. None of these players have a chance in hell of contributing to a team winning hockey games on a regular basis. You can't have so many awful players in the lineup every night and expect to win.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
The problem here is that, is this concussion Skinner's last?

If he comes back like last year, and he regularly gets injured, than we can expect 40 games of dominant, PPG Skinner, 20 games lost to injury and 20 games where he's playing tentatively and is not nearly effective.

When Skinner is in the lineup and he's healthy, he's a PPG winger. He creates a matchup hell for other teams, and allow one of our two lines to get cupcake assignments.

It's not a coincidence that, as soon as he stopped scoring a goal a game, that Eric's line got red hot. And it's not a coincidence that, once Skinner was injured, Staal's line suddenly went into a slump.

If we could get a winger like Skinner that isn't so often injured, perhaps we should consider it? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Evander Kane or Jamie Benn. Impact winger.

we couldn't trade for those guys with Skinner since they know his injury history as well. I feel like Skinner will turn into midget Lindros and because he's loved by the club, he'll be traded far too late.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I would not be shocked to see that hold us out of the playoffs...

That road trip has been negated by horrible play against the division. They're lucky they're even in the playoff picture right now

You really like to form strong opinions on the basis of a handful of games.

2-3 games of Ward sucking: Trade Ward.

2-3 bad losses: This team is horrible. Trade everyone.

10 games of decent Semin: Sign him to an extension.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
ward stood on his head. offense has no chemistry. i thought nash and dwyer were our best forwards, and i wouldve liked to have seen more welsh down the stretch. he has some offene to offer and more size than we have on the wings. murphy looked nervous until the third period, and i never really saw grags. faulk isnt at the point where we can lean on him this much.

tough game to watch.

Beardy*

I actually liked What I saw from Welsh today. he put on some hits late. Waive Jokinen and keep Welsh up.

Right now, Welsh is a better player for less money...

Jussi needs to be waived... He's terrible

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
For those using injuries as an excuse, please take a look at the Senators lineup from Monday night. Here's a link to make it easy for you. I'm really sorry, but having injuries just isn't an excuse to get blown out of the building every freakin' night. I dare you to try to convince me that the Senators lineup on Monday was more skilled than our lineup tonight. Go for it. Yet somehow they managed to beat the invincible Canadiens, who hammered us 3-0 last week.

Players have to step up, kids have to make a difference, but it happens every night in the NHL. Undermanned teams win games. It's called "effort." It's called "determination."

I haven't seen an ounce of either from our team this year.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Half this team could be placed on waivers, claimed (this is hypothetical - of course no one would actually claim them) and replaced with random veteran league minimum signings and it would make no difference.

LaRose, Nash, Jokinen, Dalpe, Westgarth, Gragnani, Sanguinetti, Bowman, Welsh = waiver fodder, below replacement-level garbage. None of these players have a chance in hell of contributing to a team winning hockey games on a regular basis. You can't have so many awful players in the lineup every night and expect to win.

I would argue against Dalpe and Bowman as "waiver fodder". I personally think think was a great game for Dalpe (he was actually checking people, unlike before he was sent down). I wish Bowman was in instead of Jokinen. The rest I can do without.

I will say Jokinen is dragging down every line he is on. The LaRose experiment needs to be over as of now.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

LaRose, Jokinen, Westgarth, Gragnani, Sanguinetti, Bowman= waiver fodder, below replacement-level garbage. None of these players have a chance in hell of contributing to a team winning hockey games on a regular basis. You can't have so many awful players in the lineup every night and expect to win.

Agreed (with some spot editing). Took out Dalpe, Welsh and Nash.

No Wallace?

Beardy*

For those using injuries as an excuse, please take a look at the Senators lineup from Monday night. Here's a link to make it easy for you. I'm really sorry, but having injuries just isn't an excuse to get blown out of the building every freakin' night. I dare you to try to convince me that the Senators lineup on Monday was more skilled than our lineup tonight. Go for it. Yet somehow they managed to beat the invincible Canadiens, who hammered us 3-0 last week.

Players have to step up, kids have to make a difference, but it happens every night in the NHL. Undermanned teams win games. It's called "effort." It's called "determination."

Or Captain is not a very good leader when things go badly... Every year when the team struggles, you rarely see Eric put them on his back to get them out of it

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Oh, and how long is Joni going to be out with his "mystery" injury? I thought he was day-to-day three weeks ago? Where is he now that we need him?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Terrible game, but at least Ward looks like he might have put some of his **** behind him.

Hopefully we get one of our d-men back before Thursday. Sick of watching the fail on the backend...

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com

Our "kids" can't step up because they suck. With the exception of Murphy and Welsh, the "kids" are all failed prospects in their third, fourth, or fifth pro season who have repeatedly shown that they can't do anything in the NHL. These are in all likelihood career AHLers. I can't expect Zac Dalpe or Bobby Sanguinetti to contribute any more than Ryan Bayda or Bryan Rodney would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad