GDT: Feb 26, 7PM | Hurricanes @ Capitals

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Or Captain is not a very good leader when things go badly... Every year when the team struggles, you rarely see Eric put them on his back to get them out of it

this. The first line has been very mediocre lately. can't have that when you have no playmakers on any other line.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Oh, and how long is Joni going to be out with his "mystery" injury? I thought he was day-to-day three weeks ago? Where is he now that we need him?

Pretty sure both of Gleason's and Joni's lower body injuries are groin pulls. Joni probably re-injured it skating too soon. He is probably out for another week at least...

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
What an absolute joke. Semin and Ward are the only guys who tried out there tonight. Muller better come up with something. Some kind of plan or system to deal with this teams problems right now. What? I don't know but anything can't be worse than what has been going on as of late. Lost this one bad for the points and for Semin. They should all be ashamed. Muller as well from what I have seen.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
For those using injuries as an excuse, please take a look at the Senators lineup from Monday night. Here's a link to make it easy for you.

I think part of the problem is that we changed our system to match our injuries. Did Ottawa change theirs?

Pittsburgh last year with Crosby and Malkin out. They didn't change a thing. Washington freaked after meeting a red hot Halak and they changed everything. Look where they are now (relatively).

You dance with the date that brought you. I am very much against how Muller has changed our system. We're trying to play a forechecking/puck possession hybrid game with two deep max.

Also, the Sens have the size and speed to play that relentless game. We're more of a puck possession team. One, you can grind, grind, grind until the cows come home, until Gleason coughs up the puck and you score.

The other gets hit HARD without the talent, especially when your two best offensive defensemen are out. No one has mentioned it, but we are really missing McBain's outlet passes, and poise at ES.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Our "kids" can't step up because they suck. With the exception of Murphy and Welsh, the "kids" are all failed prospects in their third, fourth, or fifth pro season who have repeatedly shown that they can't do anything in the NHL. These are in all likelihood career AHLers. I can't expect Zac Dalpe or Bobby Sanguinetti to contribute any more than Ryan Bayda or Bryan Rodney would.

Our forward prospects not panning out is definitely hurting this team. Don't' think Dalpe is in that category yet though. Welsh looks pretty blah. I'm sure the team is going to like that million dollar contract next year. :shakehead

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
What an absolute joke. Semin and Ward are the only guys who tried out there tonight. Muller better come up with something. Some kind of plan or system to deal with this teams problems right now. What? I don't know but anything can't be worse than what has been going on as of late. Lost this one bad for the points and for Semin. They should all be ashamed. Muller as well from what I have seen.

what can you really expect from a combo roster of nhl-ahl-echl-and ohl players? best we can hope for is to still be in the thick of it when we get healthy-or at least skiner and 1 dman back

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Oh, and how long is Joni going to be out with his "mystery" injury? I thought he was day-to-day three weeks ago? Where is he now that we need him?

He's going in whether he wants to or not.

After Thursday, we have to send Murphy down or we burn a year of his ELC.

And I would be shocked if the org did that.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
With all the many ridiculous posts (that come with most 3-0 losses), I think the worst were protesting the Wallace penalty. Have you ever seen a hockey game before? Holy **** that was as textbook a boarding penalty I've ever seen. Erskine turned into it? He turned a good 2 seconds before Wallace could have held up, which every single Hurricanes and every other defenseman in the league does.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Our forward prospects not panning out is definitely hurting this team. Don't' think Dalpe is in that category yet though. Welsh looks pretty blah. I'm sure the team is going to like that million dollar contract next year. :shakehead
Dalpe is a one-and-done offensive player. Even at the AHL level he's rarely in the offensive zone for more than about ten seconds at a time. Unless you have the talent to make something out of the "skate into the zone and take a bad angle shot or make a centering pass through multiple defenders" routine - which very few players do - you have to be someone who can contribute to puck possession to make it at the NHL level. He's also ridiculously soft, almost Jokinen-level.

It's the same deal with Bowman and Boychuk. It's just a constant stream of low percentage plays that wind up with the other team skating back up the ice.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He's going in whether he wants to or not.

After Thursday, we have to send Murphy down or we burn a year of his ELC.

And I would be shocked if the org did that.

Pretty sure we could send Murphy down and call up Jordan if it came to the point where no one was actually healthy. That being said, I bet at least one of the 3 are healthy by Saturday.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah, you can see that Wallace maybe initially had a good angle but it changed on him with time to change his approach. He didn't.

Though it is the standard showing the numbers play along the boards so many players are now ok with. Still, it's on the hitter to stop when he's given time.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The problem with relying on hard work to win the game, is sometimes the other team works hard too. And their team isn't 1 line and 0 pairings deep.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Pretty sure we could send Murphy down and call up Jordan if it came to the point where no one was actually healthy. That being said, I bet at least one of the 3 are healthy by Saturday.

And then we'll have two of Sanguinetti, Jordan or Gragnani playing 15+ minutes a game. I think Muller would rather convert LaRose to defense before it comes to that.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Dalpe is a one-and-done offensive player. Even at the AHL level he's rarely in the offensive zone for more than about ten seconds at a time. Unless you have the talent to make something out of the "skate into the zone and take a bad angle shot or make a centering pass through multiple defenders" routine - which very few players do - you have to be someone who can contribute to puck possession to make it at the NHL level. He's also ridiculously soft, almost Jokinen-level.

It's the same deal with Bowman and Boychuk. It's just a constant stream of low percentage plays that wind up with the other team skating back up the ice.

How does Welsh's AHL game compare to Bowman/Boychuk/Dalpe?

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
disappointing game. i seriously question whether half our players would make even the 4th line on any other team in the nhl. certainly not playing like this.

i disagree with many of muller's decisions. westgarth needs to be out. it's ridiculous to the point of being offensive that he describes himself as "right wing enforcer for carolina hurricanes" on his twitter. Nodl is better than some on our lineup, bowman has proved himself more than others also. LaRose on the same line with Semin is laughable.

Not enough leadership. Staal isn't leading this team when things are going bad which is when we actually need him to. And Muller doesn't seem to be getting them motivated. He doesn't show much emotion. Seems to take things too lightheartedly, laughing a lot in interviews, saying things like "played well".. uh no. I don't know what's going on in the rooms or in practices but whatever it is is not working.

Maybe some trades need to be made just to change things because something needs to. Yes we are missing *some* talent, but that's no excuse for this lack of drive.

The entire team let down their teammate Semin, especially after talking big the past two days. Empty words. Nobody stood up for him by dropping gloves or by playing with even the slightest bit of intensity.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
EStaal was his normal "floaty" "reachy" self tonight. I guess the "work hard cuz my brother is here" has already worn off.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
When welsh is moving his feet he's an agile playmaker with a hard shot, good vision. He can hit and has the size that makes him hard to move around. He should get a shot in the Nash line winger slot.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

I'm sorry but have you watched a Checkers game this year with Dalpe in the lineup? Doesn't seem you have.... his offensive game has not translated to the NHL (hopefully it will). I think he has had a little less time to adjust to this current lineup (he just got called up yesterday). I still think he needs more time at the NHL level. 7 games is not enough to completely adjust and start producing.

I think Bowman brings more of an intangible element to the game. I want him in and Jokinen out next game.

And why are you talking about Boychuck? He isn't in this organization anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad