GDT: Feb 26, 7PM | Hurricanes @ Capitals

WinterHawk

Prairie Hurricane
Oct 2, 2011
Winnipeg
Ottawa calls up players and they contribute. Winnipeg calls up players and they contribute. Carolina calls up players and... meh.

As some one else said, it's hard to blame the Jordans and the Dalpes as they really haven't been given sufficient NHL exposure yet. Whose fault is that?

Dammit, Mo!!!!

Also: I liked Eric better when Brind'Amour was the captain. Just sayin'.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
disappointing game. i seriously question whether half our players would make even the 4th line on any other team in the nhl. certainly not playing like this.

i disagree with many of muller's decisions. westgarth needs to be out. it's ridiculous to the point of being offensive that he describes himself as "right wing enforcer for carolina hurricanes" on his twitter. Nodl is better than some on our lineup, bowman has proved himself more than others also. LaRose on the same line with Semin is laughable.

Not enough leadership. Staal isn't leading this team when things are going bad which is when we actually need him to. And Muller doesn't seem to be getting them motivated. He doesn't show much emotion. Seems to take things too lightheartedly, laughing a lot in interviews, saying things like "played well".. uh no. I don't know what's going on in the rooms or in practices but whatever it is is not working.

Maybe some trades need to be made just to change things because something needs to. Yes we are missing *some* talent, but that's no excuse for this lack of drive.

The entire team let down their teammate Semin, especially after talking big the past two days. Empty words. Nobody stood up for him by dropping gloves or by playing with even the slightest bit of intensity.

Indeed. Semin worked hard as he always does. Agree with this post. Very bad luck off the bat there. Guys don't seem to be able to play with him or anticipate what he will do. They miss his passes regularly. Staal was invisible again. And, yes there are some problems with Muller as I mentioned as well. Semin has busted his butt for these guys and they did let him down, not to mention just plain losing to the Capitals.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Westgarth has to know what his role on his team is, he even has it on his ****ing twitter profile. Muller is all about finding a role for everyone on the team. So I can only guess that it is Muller who does not want him doing what every one thinks he should be doing. Maybe Muller even thinks Westgarth can actually be an effective NHL player without gooning it up.

If that is actually the case I seriously question Muller's ability to be a NHL coach.

Yeah and it seemed Westgarth actually logged a fair bit of icetime out there tonight.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
the Westgarth situation is really confusing. Because it seems at least according to his twitter that he sees himself as an enforcer. So if someone above him is telling him not to enforce... why did we get him? As bad as Anthony stewart is he outproduces Westgarth. Did JR or Muller think Westgarth would turn it around and be a more productive player here or something? I find that hard to believe and worrisome if it's the case. I know you can't always find someone to drop gloves but you can enforce in other ways too, throw some big hits just let them know you can't disrespect our players like that

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
IMO, after watching this team, the fact is that it only has a few top notch NHL caliber players. Semin, E.Staal, J.Staal and Skinner. That's it. Tlustly is a good 2nd liner. The second line would be fine that way. The 1st needs another elite player. The rest of the line-up is so-so, mediocre at best. The goaltending is average. The coach hasn't been impressive. That said, I understand that the Canes are a small market team and money is tight. It will take some time, but these guys are top notch players in which to build around. I am disappointed, but that seems to be the reality that must be dealt with. Alot of teams are in the same boat. Much improvement is required. I think they will eventually get there. Big improvement over the last few years and I hope they keep building. They have some very good players but alot more pieces are needed to compete at a top level. For now, they will do the best they can given what they have.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Harrison 25:47 -2
Faulk 23:56 -1
Corvo 20:56 E
Sanguinetti 19:53 -1
Murphy 18:42 E
Gragnani 7:53 E

I didn't end up watching the game aside from the first 6 minutes or so of the second period. Instead, I was playing Borderlands 2.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Tripp's interviewing was right on par with the Chris Farley Show interviews on SNL.

Remember....when...member when you were with the Caps? That was sooo coool....oh man...IDIOT.

Guess I need to dig up this old image and rework it then.

brookbank.jpg

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the Westgarth situation is really confusing. Because it seems at least according to his twitter that he sees himself as an enforcer. So if someone above him is telling him not to enforce... why did we get him? As bad as Anthony stewart is he outproduces Westgarth. Did JR or Muller think Westgarth would turn it around and be a more productive player here or something? I find that hard to believe and worrisome if it's the case. I know you can't always find someone to drop gloves but you can enforce in other ways too, throw some big hits just let them know you can't disrespect our players like that

Agreed again and JR had said he was looking for a "tough guy" earlier (think it was during the press conference re: Semin). All the players are doing what the coaching staff tells them to do . So yeah, it is worrisome.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
I only caught the last part of the third period. I'm guessing they were out hustled and beat to every puck all game like the little I saw? It was awful.

Mr America

Sep 19, 2010
www.hockeyfights.com
AJJ makes this point... the true enforcer is dead.

Westgarth can only fight if someone goes with him. And there is no way Brouwer is going to exchange himself for 5 minutes for Kevin ****ing Westgarth.

The only reason we have Westgarth is so he can go out and fight other useless hockey players like Colton Orr or Tom Kostopulous.

If he is going to play at least play tough, mean, and physical. He doesn't have to goon it up, but go out and get in some guys faces, throw some hits, shove some people around etc.

He could have at least got up in Brouwer's face had a talk with him.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I only caught the last part of the third period. I'm guessing they were out hustled and beat to every puck all game like the little I saw? It was awful.

Well, I only caught the first half of the first and that's what I saw.

So I'm assuming it went like that throughout the night. :laugh:

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Not only is Jokinen not creating any offense right now he's screwing up the offensive chances created by the rest of the team.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
If he is going to play at least play tough, mean, and physical. He doesn't have to goon it up, but go out and get in some guys faces, throw some hits, shove some people around etc.

He could have at least got up in Brouwer's face had a talk with him.

Agree with this 100%. At least when the game was already lost he should have let Brouwer know in no uncertain terms that we stick up for eachother. Noone stuck up for Semin, by hustling or by being physical. They should always be a team, together in every way. It bonds the team mentally and emotionally and that goes a long way. Semin needed this at this point (new team and a reassurance of teammanship) and being back in Washington for the first time, especially with all the booing. But that goes for everyone as well, not just Alex Semin. Be there for eachother in all ways, always. That's a team. But, nothing. :shakehead

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agree with this 100%. At least when the game was already lost he should have let Brouwer know in no uncertain terms that we stick up for eachother. Noone stuck up for Semin, by hustling or by being physical. They should always be a team, together in every way. It bonds the team mentally and emotionally and that goes a long way. Semin needed this at this point (new team and a reassurance of teammanship) and being back in Washington for the first time, especially with all the booing. But that goes for everyone as well, not just Alex Semin. Be there for eachother in all ways, always. That's a team. But, nothing. :shakehead

I get that you love Semin, but must every post be about him and how mis-treated he is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad