Injury Report: Feb. 21: Updates To Giroux, Couturier, Mason, Medvedev, Weal

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Still not as bad as Schenn going down with a clear fencing response, flopping all over the ice...and receiving no additional concussion testing or baseline testing because they used a loophole in the league protocol by not sending him into the game. You don't have to test him and discover he's concussed if he's not gonna play anymore.

After that, it came down to whether Schenn said he felt fine or not the next day. He said he did. He had been having a solid run of play, but took a huge step back afterwards for a while.

Such garbage.

I remember that. He didn't play well at all after that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Still not as bad as Schenn going down with a clear fencing response, flopping all over the ice...and receiving no additional concussion testing or baseline testing because they used a loophole in the league protocol by not sending him into the game. You don't have to test him and discover he's concussed if he's not gonna play anymore.

After that, it came down to whether Schenn said he felt fine or not the next day. He said he did. He had been having a solid run of play, but took a huge step back afterwards for a while.

Such garbage.

That didn't actually happen. He scored nine points in the next 10 games after the Wilson hit.

In the 10 games up to and including the Washington game on 12/17/13, he had four points.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475170&season=20132014&view=gamelog

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
All signs point to Couturier playing tomorrow. Giroux could return Thursday, or be out till March. Returns from UBIs are much harder to predict than the sore foot Couturier seems to have been dealing with based on him wearing a walking boot after the Nashville game.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
All signs point to Couturier playing tomorrow. Giroux could return Thursday, or be out till March. Returns from UBIs are much harder to predict than the sore foot Couturier seems to have been dealing with based on him wearing a walking boot after the Nashville game.

Yeh. All signs point to it being a broken/chipped bone or a bad sprain... and as bones go if it is healed and the pain has gone there is no reason not to play, sprains are a bit more fluid... but it will have been three days he will have been back practicing by gameday. It has been almost 3 weeks now since he got injured and the initial schedule was ~4.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That didn't actually happen. He scored nine points in the next 10 games after the Wilson hit.

In the 10 games up to and including the Washington game on 12/17/13, he had four points.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475170&season=20132014&view=gamelog

It did happen. Everyone was stunned he was scoring points because he was sluggish, behind the play, and failed the eye test. He'd manage a couple good shifts being in the right place, but for the rest of the game looked awful.

We commented on it and discussed it quite a bit.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It didn't happen. "Everyone" were not stunned, and the reality of Schenn scoring 9 points in 10 games when he was supposedly sluggish, awful, and taking a huge step back is just something you'll need to deal with, i.e. hide from and invent elaborate excuses to explain away.

The bigger point is that Flyers have no problem sitting players when they are dealing with UBIs that may be concussions. Laughton last year, Couturier earlier this season, and now Giroux. Schenn didn't have concussion symptoms after the Wilson game, which is why he continued to play, and play well.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It didn't happen. "Everyone" were not stunned, and the reality of Schenn scoring 9 points in 10 games when he was supposedly sluggish, awful, and taking a huge step back is just something you'll need to deal with, i.e. hide from and invent elaborate excuses to explain away.

The bigger point is that Flyers have no problem sitting players when they are dealing with UBIs that may be concussions. Laughton last year, Couturier earlier this season, and now Giroux. Schenn didn't have concussion symptoms after the Wilson game, which is why he continued to play, and play well.

Except he looked noticeably sluggish. You are wrong. He was different for several games. I'm not the only one who remembers it.

There's more to watching hockey than boxscore gazing, you know.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Except he looked noticeably sluggish. You are wrong. He was different for several games. I'm not the only one who remembers it.

There's more to watching hockey than boxscore gazing, you know.

I'd be curious to see how many of those 9 points in 10 games were on the powerplay. They may have been quiet points ranked up during one of our powerplays patented hot streaks.

I don't remember either way, just adding that this a scenario where Schenn could be struggling overall but still accumulate a handful of points.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I recall there being commentary on it being ironic that Schenn wasn't rewarded with points while he was looking good but began producing when he was looking inferior.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think a box score is a lot more reliable than the memory of mid season games from over two years ago, especially from someone who wanted Schenn to look sluggish and awful because it would support his position that Schenn shouldn't have been playing.

And all of the points came at ES. Here's the game where he had 3 points and was third star, only two weeks after the Wilson hit.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020608

And here's the one when he was 1st star, three weeks after the hit.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020649

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think a box score is a lot more reliable than the memory of mid season games from over two years ago, especially from someone who wanted Schenn to look sluggish and awful because it would support his position that Schenn shouldn't have been playing.

And all of the points came at ES. Here's the game where he had 3 points and was third star, only two weeks after the Wilson hit.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020608

And here's the one when he was 1st star, three weeks after the hit.

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020649

Au Contraire, Skillful Son of Finwe. My position was enhanced by how he was playing, not vice versa.

Weeks later seems like a good amount of recovery, don't you think?

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Well the lines in practice today were:

Gagner/Umberger -- Schenn -- Simmonds
Raffl -- Couturier -- Voracek
Laughton -- Couins -- Read
VandeVelde -- Bellemare -- White

Laughton-Cousins-Read

Prob the line I'll be most focused on. They give up a lot of size, but seeing if Laugton-Cousins pairings works is huge going forward.

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
That's great news about Coots, and about time there was something positive.

Can anyone explain to me why there's been no Player Safety involvement at all on that hit to G? It was a clear headshot, surely? Not saying Subban is a dirty player, or intended to cause injury at all, and his desperation to get Giroux off the puck that close to the net and with only the goalie in his way was understandable... but he elbowed him in the freaking head, and caused a concussion. Since when has that been acceptable, least of all in the modern NHL which is supposedly so hot on concussion prevention?

Refs can miss things on the ice so no call there is weird but happens... but how the hell is it not subject to a League hearing, at the very least? What am I missing on this one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad