Injury Report: Feb. 21: Updates To Giroux, Couturier, Mason, Medvedev, Weal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's great news about Coots, and about time there was something positive.

Can anyone explain to me why there's been no Player Safety involvement at all on that hit to G? It was a clear headshot, surely? Not saying Subban is a dirty player, or intended to cause injury at all, and his desperation to get Giroux off the puck that close to the net and with only the goalie in his way was understandable... but he elbowed him in the freaking head, and caused a concussion. Since when has that been acceptable, least of all in the modern NHL which is supposedly so hot on concussion prevention?

Refs can miss things on the ice so no call there is weird but happens... but how the hell is it not subject to a League hearing, at the very least? What am I missing on this one?

I really don't understand how Komarov got 3 games and Subban got nothing.

Literally the only logical explanation I can come up with is that it's because Giroux is a Flyer, like Couturier and VandeVelde's whose concussion-causing head-shots went unsuspended.

What else could the reason be? I mean, Subban did the exact same thing Komarov did.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That's great news about Coots, and about time there was something positive.

Can anyone explain to me why there's been no Player Safety involvement at all on that hit to G? It was a clear headshot, surely? Not saying Subban is a dirty player, or intended to cause injury at all, and his desperation to get Giroux off the puck that close to the net and with only the goalie in his way was understandable... but he elbowed him in the freaking head, and caused a concussion. Since when has that been acceptable, least of all in the modern NHL which is supposedly so hot on concussion prevention?

Refs can miss things on the ice so no call there is weird but happens... but how the hell is it not subject to a League hearing, at the very least? What am I missing on this one?

From at least one media report, the NHL reviewed the play and found it didn't warrant a suspension or fine.

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
Wow, okay. That does seem pretty surprising. Must be clearer angles on that hit I haven't seen then - I only have access to GCL (I live in Europe) and it seemed pretty slam dunk there. :dunno:

Thanks for clarifying - was really wondering what was happening with it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wow, okay. That does seem pretty surprising. Must be clearer angles on that hit I haven't seen then - I only have access to GCL (I live in Europe) and it seemed pretty slam dunk there. :dunno:

Thanks for clarifying - was really wondering what was happening with it.

This is the opinion of Kerry Fraser, former NHL ref. His summary compares and contrasts the recent hits:

http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-subban-deserved-penalty-but-no-discipline-1.441691

While both McDonagh and Giroux received varying degrees of contact to their head, there are some significant differences between the angle of approach, method of initiating contact and degree of force exerted that resulted in a suspension to Komarov and nothing to Subban.

There is no question that a penalty should have been called against Subban. Depending upon the angle that the contact was observed, the penalty could have been a minor for an illegal check to the head or elbowing. It might have also risen to the level of a major penalty for elbowing if the referee determined that Giroux’s fall was more about the degree of violence of the contact as opposed to a player’s natural tendency to go with the hit and spin away to help minimize the impact.

qalex

Feb 13, 2013
Thanks, that article is exactly what I was hoping for in posting here. Answers most of my questions really effectively. Much appreciated!

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Again, BS. Whenever a Flyer has received a concussion this year, and some of the hits have been obvious, the league has chosen to err on the side of the other player. But vice-versa our players have been tossed. Case in point, Rinaldo's hit was targeted and he left his feet. McDonagh although he received the injury certainly deserved a match for a high stick to Simmons head. We a clearly still the villians of the NHL. All of us simply want to see consistency in the calls, but it's obvious that will never happen. Whenever on of our "Bad Boys" is traded to another team his reputation vanishes, Downey and Rinaldo are prime examples

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Giroux is out for tomorrow too. Will he still be 'day-to-day' if it goes into April?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Giroux isn't playing tomorrow because he's not ready to play, and is not being rushed back despite the Flyers facing another must win game. What benefit is there to the team in disclosing extra details about the injury?

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Giroux isn't playing tomorrow because he's not ready to play, and is not being rushed back despite the Flyers facing another must win game. What benefit is there to the team in disclosing extra details about the injury?

What benefit is there to the team to keep up this pathetic charade? He got hurt by an elbow to the jaw. It's not a friggin' charley horse. There is no risk to Claude - the other teams know why he's hurt.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, by not calling it a concussion they can probably skip out on testing and go by the word of the athlete, potentially bringing him back sooner.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well, by not calling it a concussion they can probably skip out on testing and go by the word of the athlete, potentially bringing him back sooner.

Them refusing to tell the dumbass beats that it's a concussion doesn't mean they're not internally admitting that it is and following the necessary steps to make sure he's healthy before returning.

They have no obligation to share injury information with those entitled little idiots or to any of the fanbase.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton got three weeks off when he got hit in the head. Couturier got two weeks off. Giroux will get all the time off he needs to get better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Them refusing to tell the dumbass beats that it's a concussion doesn't mean they're not internally admitting that it is and following the necessary steps to make sure he's healthy before returning.

They have no obligation to share injury information with those entitled little idiots or to any of the fanbase.

You trust them far more than I do.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You trust them far more than I do.

I guess so. I know they've ****ed up in the past but I think that had a lot to do with a lack of knowledge about concussions. I would think/hope they've learned by now that they must be taken seriously and they're doing the right thing to make sure Girouxs perfect before returning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall wants to win a championship. How does rushing Giroux back from a head injury in February 2016 help him do that? G has six years left on his contract and the Flyers aren't even a playoff team this season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Why bother hiding a concussion, when the league bases part of its discipline on injuries?

They probably want to avoid being scrutinized for not diagnosing him during the game. Not that they would've succeeded in finding anything, a still brain-damaged Lappy with major vision issues managed to sneak past them. Such competence.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
So I decide to visit Philadelphia for 3 days over an 8 year spell supporting the team and i manage to pick the only time he's going to be injured for? **** off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad