Injury Report: Feb. 16: Steve Mason (knee surgery) could play Sat. (Feb. 28)

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
coming from a goalie with a fair amount of knee injuries, I would not rush him back. Minor sprains accumulate over time and he needs to rehab and rest from goalie related movements. He may feel fine and could run a 5k, but the lateral strain on a goalies knee is tremendous

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
God (and all fellow Flyers fans) please forgive me for what I'm about to say... I believe what Hexy has to get is his personal version of 2010 Michael Leighten and pray for them to again catch lightening in a bottle and find a way to sneak into the PostSeason and then play over their heads and on adrenalin and spirit... You see I don't see Emery with his health and limitations being able to carry the full load nor Mason being able to be counted on to overtax himself with his patched up chronic LBIs... Hextall needs to grab that special overachiever and pray for miracles and for him not to ***** the bed on the final play of the Season.

If they don't fight all the way back and make the PostSeason then Mason can either be rested or shelved in hopes of coming back strong for a fresh beginning next Season... and the 2015 version of M.Leighton can allow Stollie to get his AHL time in and spell or take over for Razor.

What is out there for Hexy to rummage up for cheap or free, I haven't a clue... But if Homer can do it and almost win it all with him, then I'm sure that Hexy can also.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
God (and all fellow Flyers fans) please forgive me for what I'm about to say... I believe what Hexy has to get is his personal version of 2010 Michael Leighten and pray for them to again catch lightening in a bottle and find a way to sneak into the PostSeason and then play over their heads and on adrenalin and spirit... You see I don't see Emery with his health and limitations being able to carry the full load nor Mason being able to be counted on to overtax himself with his patched up chronic LBIs... Hextall needs to grab that special overachiever and pray for miracles and for him not to ***** the bed on the final play of the Season.

If they don't fight all the way back and make the PostSeason then Mason can either be rested or shelved in hopes of coming back strong for a fresh beginning next Season... and the 2015 version of M.Leighton can allow Stollie to get his AHL time in and spell or take over for Razor.

What is out there for Hexy to rummage up for cheap or free, I haven't a clue... But if Homer can do it and almost win it all with him, then I'm sure that Hexy can also.

so ur saying bring back Leets for another cup run ??? im on board..

:handclap:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

What they need to do dump some players and salary and get as high a pick as they can get in the draft. We have a better shot at catching lightning in a bottle down the road and riding it to the finals than we do picking some turd mouthed goalie off a scrap heap.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
What they need to do dump some players and salary and get as high a pick as they can get in the draft. We have a better shot at catching lightning in a bottle down the road and riding it to the finals than we do picking some turd mouthed goalie off a scrap heap.

:laugh: Mainly though what I was getting at is that with Mason down and out for a while... and maybe better not being overtaxed until next Season... and Emery working with reconstructed body parts that limit him at time, and his perchance to be red hot only to turn ice cold all too often... and Zepp also hurt... and Stollie better served in the AHL for a couple Seasons, with the thinking that he is not yet ready for Prime Time and if played there it may set him back... What Hexy has to do is pull a rabbit out of his hat like Homer did... before Leighton crapped the bed in the SCF... most notably in the OT of Game Six.

That was more the gist than the catching lightening in a bottle thing... which was more of a dreamlike progression. ;)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Playing a couple of NHL games isn't going to "set him back". The only way he's going to be ruined is if he stays here permanently and is forced into a large role he isn't ready for. If he gets ruined by playing 2 NHL games then he was a dud to start with.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A potential return date of two weeks seems to be neutralized. Closer to three weeks is more likely. And details of the surgery were revealed.

“You don’t know whether a guy will have issues,” he said. “Players get hurt, some more than others, some less. The exact [area] was injured at that time, and there was no other injury previous that was detected in the scope. So, that’s all we have to go on.

“Steve got injured in the Washington game, or timeout, and that’s it. It’s a single injury, and hopefully he can stay healthy.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/ron-hextall-no-talk-whatsoever-shutting-steve-mason-down

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Playing a couple of NHL games isn't going to "set him back". The only way he's going to be ruined is if he stays here permanently and is forced into a large role he isn't ready for. If he gets ruined by playing 2 NHL games then he was a dud to start with.

No so much my belief... rather the thoughts of others -- IIRC Hexy said that he wasn't ready -- I think the feeling is that he hasn't has his feet established in the AHL Professional Hockey level and being thrown to the wolves... so to speak... might set him back... if he is embarrassed his confidence made be hit a serious blow as the NHL Elite humiliates such a raw talent. I believe the thinking is that the AHL players that made a quick jump where further along in their professional development. It may be important to remember that Hextall himself was held back entirely when Pelle was suddenly and tragically taken from the team... when they played their first game after his death Bob Froese, the Backup, was suddenly injured and Darren Jenson was called up to play, passing on bringing up Hextall for the very same reason some people want to hold back Stolie... Could Hextall recall this and believe it is the right path to take? Unfortunately the Flyers are in dire straights in the goalies with experience department... let alone healthy ones... That is one of the reason why they signed a 30+ year old rookie, Zepp, to back up Mason and Emery... he was the ace in the hole to be brought up in the event one of the two NHL guys goes down... Zepp's injury put a cramp in that and the lack of depth issue came to the forefront.

Anyway, I can see their point... but not being an expert in goaltending and young goalies coming up the ranks, puts me at a disadvantage... I have only the beliefs of the experts and past history such as the example I cited to go on.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No so much my belief... rather the thoughts of others -- IIRC Hexy said that he wasn't ready -- I think the feeling is that he hasn't has his feet established in the AHL Professional Hockey level and being thrown to the wolves... so to speak... might set him back... if he is embarrassed his confidence made be hit a serious blow as the NHL Elite humiliates such a raw talent. I believe the thinking is that the AHL players that made a quick jump where further along in their professional development. It may be important to remember that Hextall himself was held back entirely when Pelle was suddenly and tragically taken from the team... when they played their first game after his death Bob Froese, the Backup, was suddenly injured and Darren Jenson was called up to play, passing on bringing up Hextall for the very same reason some people want to hold back Stolie... Could Hextall recall this and believe it is the right path to take? Unfortunately the Flyers are in dire straights in the goalies with experience department... let alone healthy ones... That is one of the reason why they signed a 30+ year old rookie, Zepp, to back up Mason and Emery... he was the ace in the hole to be brought up in the event one of the two NHL guys goes down... Zepp's injury put a cramp in that and the lack of depth issue came to the forefront.

Anyway, I can see their point... but not being an expert in goaltending and young goalies coming up the ranks, puts me at a disadvantage... I have only the beliefs of the experts and past history such as the example I cited to go on.

When they say he's "not ready" they mean to be a full time NHL player, which is correct, but that doesn't mean that playing a game or two is going to be a big deal.

Like I said, if he's fragile minded enough to be ruined by playing one NHL game then he's probably too weak minded to ever amount to anything as a professional athlete.

I'm not saying I want him to start every game until Mason comes back, but if he had to play in relief of Emery then I'd be interested to see how he does and I wouldn't worry about it having a big negative impact on him. When Zepp is able to play I expect that they'll call him up and send Stolarz back down. Then Zepp and Emery can split starts until Mason comes back.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
When they say he's "not ready" they mean to be a full time NHL player, which is correct, but that doesn't mean that playing a game or two is going to be a big deal.

Like I said, if he's fragile minded enough to be ruined by playing one NHL game then he's probably too weak minded to ever amount to anything as a professional athlete.

I'm not saying I want him to start every game until Mason comes back, but if he had to play in relief of Emery then I'd be interested to see how he does and I wouldn't worry about it having a big negative impact on him. When Zepp is able to play I expect that they'll call him up and send Stolarz back down. Then Zepp and Emery can split starts until Mason comes back.

Well as they always say... and Hexy alluded to the other day... if you are able to backup, you are ready to play a game... So taking that a step further and say that if you are called on to be the backup, you are potentially being called on to be a starter... and the next step is to say, if you are the backup goalie on a regular basis, you are counted on to be the starter on a regular basis if need be.

So... I believe it is safe to say that Stolie the Goalie is one groin pull... one knee sprain... one shoulder injury... one muscle tear... one concussion... Yada-Yada-Yada... from being the starting goaltender of the Philadelphia Flyers as they make a dire push to a Playoff spot.

Back to my initial point that got muddled in the lightening in the bottle crap and the fragile minded stuff... I personally would rather the Flyers sign a cheap professional goalie with some NHL experience and some at least latent talent that can backstop them and with some luck do what Michael *** Leighton did for the Flyers and step up and give some good NHL level goaltending until Mason returns or Emery returns fro that imaginary potential injury I made up. A surprise goalie over a goalie with minimal professional experience that is being counted on for the future... much like Hexy was when Pelle died.

For fun... could you imagine that Brodeur had not signed with the Blues... and decided that the Flyers would be a perfect place to step in and take over the number one spot for the end of the Season run with Mason hurt... and better suited for being shelved until next Season? He could have given the Organization a break on the contract since he would be playing only a small portion of the Season and he already has a boatload of money from the Devils... and this could give the Devils the bird for not re-signing him and giving his position away. ;)

Of course Brodeur is out of the picture now... but there has to be a diamond in the rough for Hexy and/or his scouts to sniff out... in trade or as a FA.

...That is all I'm saying here.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ad-meniscus-removed-from-both-knees/23674825/

"It was a nothing thing, really," Mason said. "I turned to go back to the net, opened my knee up to push out and the meniscus flipped up and got caught in between the joint there. That's a pretty fluke accident there."

Mason had been playing through other issues in his right knee this season. He missed six games in January when he left a game against the Boston Bruins with an injured knee. He didn't want to have the surgery then, rested a few days and played through it for five consecutive games before having to bow out again.

Now that he's had the surgery, he thinks he won't have to worry about it again because nothing bothered him after having surgery on his left knee in September 2008. That was a similar situation when Mason thought he could play through it, but had his knee buckle.

It was the Columbus Blue Jackets third-round pick's last year in juniors when he was playing for the Kitchener Rangers and made a routine move pushing off his left foot to go from one goalpost to the other.

"My knee buckled and I went in for surgery a couple days later," Mason said. "Originally with that one they tried repairing the meniscus and that was a four-month recovery. My second time skating back, I tore it again. They just don't have much success repairing meniscus for athletes, especially with goaltenders. There's very little blood supply to it so it's not easy to heal itself. We ended up taking the meniscus out of my left knee and now my right knee.

"I've never had a problem – knock on wood – with my left knee. I don't forsee any problems with this one in the future. I'm just looking forward to, like I said, we know that we've found the problem and dealt with it and just getting back to games hopefully sooner rather than later."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad