Injury Report: Feb. 16: Steve Mason (knee surgery) could play Sat. (Feb. 28)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Come on sir, I lost my starter for last 1/4 of season, nothing I could do. Good point Craig, here is a 1 year extension for ya !

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
didn't realize how bad Stolarz has struggled lately. Last I saw he had a sv % in the .920 range and a GAA well below 3.00

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
injuries-suck.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Any news on when?

And how long an arthroscopic surgery keeps him out if they don't find anything?

As far as the date, my guess is that there is a series of days in which prep work is necessary. It likely depends on the patient's prior and current medical history and if he is actively undergoing and taking medication. That, and when and if a desired surgeon is next available.

I don't think the surgery will find a completely healthy knee. That is probably the purpose of having such a procedure and though it is minimally invasive compared to surgeries of the past, there is still an operation occuring. It would be pure speculation as to his earliest availability.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
As far as the date, my guess is that there is a series of days in which prep work is necessary. It likely depends on the patient's prior and current medical history and if he is actively undergoing and taking medication. That, and when and if a desired surgeon is next available.

I don't think the surgery will find a completely healthy knee. That is probably the purpose of having such a procedure and though it is minimally invasive compared to surgeries of the past, there is still an operation occuring. It would be pure speculation as to his earliest availability.
People often think that artho surgery is not the real deal. As you say it certainly is. Its just minimally invasive. The total recovery time for the joint is still the same as is the re-hab.
If this type of surgery is botched due to too quick of a return to activity, then the call is the more invasive surgery and a much longer re-hab. The Flyers have to play this very carefully. Mason will try to get back to action. His feelings on this should not be counted. He didn't want surgery last month when it was probably needed. IMO, he should be shut down for the season. There's nothing to gain by bringing him back this season.

LexSea

Queen of the Couch
Mar 31, 2014
Arthro? Ack.... Crossing everything for Mase.

maybe i am crazy but we kinda do this every year start slow and come on strong near the end of the year we are only 9 pts out with 29 games left

If by some miracle this was to happen, this D + the genius that is Berube = lambs to the slaughter.

I have seen Leighton mentioned on twitter

Glorious. :laugh:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Eh, I'm not sure he will get "destroyed"

He certainly needs this year plus 1 or 2 more, to be NHL ready, but he has done well in his first year as a pro

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are trending down on him lately. He's played pretty well as a 20 year with all things considered. The Phantoms roster was pretty "meh" to start the season, and it's just gotten taken apart since then. No Laughton, Ghost or Alt pretty much all year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I'm not sure why people are trending down on him lately. He's played pretty well as a 20 year with all things considered. The Phantoms roster was pretty "meh" to start the season, and it's just gotten taken apart since then. No Laughton, Ghost or Alt pretty much all year.

Because people are going out of their way to harp on patience every chance they get.

https://twitter.com/BroadStBull

That is an update from Sam C. at today's skate in Montreal.

Couturier scored?

Never mind, if he can let a grinder with zero offensive skill score on him then he should just quit hockey.

rite guise?

RJ8812*

If the Flyers don't shut Mason down for the season, it just shows that this organization is still stupid

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If the Flyers don't shut Mason down for the season, it just shows that this organization is still stupid

Wouldn't go that far, you don't know how long this injury is going to take to heal. For all we know he could be fine in a month and then it's not like they're going to stop him from playing if he's healthy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes, that's a silly statement to make when we don't even know what the injury is.

It's because the Phantoms give up way too many powerplays.

I said that based just on following their games on twitter, but now I actually looked it up and found they have being shorthanded 240 times. 2nd most in the AHL.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay...ament_id=0&leagueId=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

I can't find Stolarz and Zepp's ES SV%, but I'm sure it's significantly higher than their overall SV% of .911 and .919.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad