Injury Report: Feb. 16: Steve Mason (knee surgery) could play Sat. (Feb. 28)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ It could be a one-game situation for Stolarz if Zepp is healthy enough to return.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...Flyers__goaltending_situation_is_in_flux.html

Stolarz might not be with the Flyers for long. Frequent backup Rob Zepp - who himself was injured when he collided with Binghamton's Matt Puempel in the third period of Friday's Phantoms game - is unavailable for tonight's game, but will likely be ready to return for this weekend, according to a source. The Flyers continue their road trip in Columbus on Friday and in Buffalo on Sunday.

Hextall acknowledged on Sunday that Stolarz is "probably not" ready for the NHL. As Zepp's backup with the Phantoms, he has a 3.04 goals-against average and .911 save percentage - still learning the tools of the trade as a first-year pro in a man's league.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
We all know he isn't ready.

Hextall isn't going out on a limb, this is more about how long Mase is out for.

If its a month or season, Flyers are officially cooked.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah I don't think anyone would expect him to come in and play like anything other than a 20 year old rookie. Would be cool to see him get a game or two in, but I wouldn't expect him take the starting job or even offer a glimmer of hope that he'll challenge for the backup spot next season.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
At this point,you kind of HAVE to shut him down.

At least we'll figure out if Zepp is a competent back up for next year

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Flyers say Steve Mason will miss 2-to-3 weeks with lower-body injury.

The official word.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=735111

MASON OUT 2-3 WEEKS
Following the team’s morning skate in Montreal, Flyers GM Ron Hextall announced that goaltender Steve Mason will be out for approximately 2-3 weeks with a lower-body injury.

Mason left the Flyers-Capitals game at Washington midway through the second period and did not return. He has missed a total of 10 games this season, both with separate lower-body injuries and all within a span of 52 days (Dec. 19-27 & Jan. 10-27). Overall, Mason has a 11-12-7 record with a 2.30 GAA and .925 save percentage.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Well **** a duck. But it's not season-over stuff. So thank god.

Should be interesting with Emery-Zepp as the mains. Would be interesting for Stolarz to get ONE game.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It could be longer. They may find something. 2-3 weeks is normal just for the procedure.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It could be longer. They may find something. 2-3 weeks is normal just for the procedure.

And in the brief statement was the absense of any procedure being conducted. That likely will be addressed when the scribes congregate perhaps as early as pregame tonight. Eventually, more info will be provided.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Honestly, this is for the better. We are on the verge of winning some really meaningless games. The odds of us making the playoffs are still extremely low and even if we made it, we would be bounced in the 1st round unless we play Pitt..and if we did, we would be out by the 2nd. I'm okay with Emery coming in and keeping us in the top 10 for a draft pick.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
for the love of god, lets just see you at training camp plz ???

shut him down....i predict now, if he comes back in 2-3 weeks, he will have another issue within 3-5 games of returning for sure...

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
totally agree with shutting him down.

also wonder what all the guys who thought it was no big deal improving on our backup situation last offseason and were so cool with emery coming back have to say now....

oh well guess it will improve our draft position.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I really have no idea what all this "shut him down" talk is about...

Do any of you really think what you're saying is even slightly realistic?

Do you think what you're saying makes any sense at all?

IF he's only out 2-3 weeks then at the end of that time he's cleared to play and he feels good, do you really think they're going to stop him from playing?

That would never happen. He wouldn't want to sit out when healthy and Hextall isn't just going to force him to sit.

The ONLY way he gets "shut down" is if his injury keeps him out for the rest of the season or if he's cleared to play with like 2 or 3 games remaining...

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I really have no idea what all this "shut him down" talk is about...

Do any of you really think what you're saying is even slightly realistic?

Do you think what you're saying makes any sense at all?

IF he's only out 2-3 weeks then at the end of that time he's cleared to play and he feels good, do you really think they're going to stop him from playing?

That would never happen. He wouldn't want to sit out when healthy and Hextall isn't just going to force him to sit.

The ONLY way he gets "shut down" is if his injury keeps him out for the rest of the season or if he's cleared to play with like 2 or 3 games remaining...

I completely agree.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he was healthy with only a week left in the season, I'd be fine with shutting him down.

If he's 100% at the start of March you can't tell him to go home, he's not wanted till September. That's the dictionary definition of tanking.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The Detroit Tigers DH Victor Martinez has knee surgery today and is out 4-6 weeks. Mason has surgery and will be back in 2-3. I get it that the surgeries were not the same. However the stress on a goalies knees are a lot greater than that of a baseball player who doesn't even play the field. If VMart needs 4-6 weeks to get back, Mason should take the rest of the season off and get ready for September camp. After all of these years trying to find a good goalie, why ruin one when you finally have one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad