Injury Report: Feb. 16: Steve Mason (knee surgery) could play Sat. (Feb. 28)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The initial report is as expected.

Lower body injury, will not return at Washington

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, from the team:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=735111

MASON INJURED vs. CAPS
Flyers GM Ron Hextall announced to the media following the second period of the Flyers-Capitals game that goaltender Steve Mason has a lower-body injury and will not return to the game.

Mason left the ice with 8:42 left in the second period during the broadcast timeout before a Capitals power play. Prior to exiting the game, he stopped all eight shots he faced.

Since returning from his most recent injury, Mason has gone 3-0-1 with a 1.25 GAA and a .959 save percentage after stopping 116 of 121 shots. He missed six games (Jan. 10-27) with a lower-body injury, which was separate from another lower-body injured that caused him to miss four games in December (19-27).

Over the course of the season, Mason owns an 11-12-7 record with a 2.30 GAA and .925 save percentage, which is tied for fourth among all NHL goaltenders who have played a minimum of 18 games.

-----------------------------

Post-game (Frank Seravalli -- https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli )

Hextall also said he "does not believe" Mason's latest injury is related to his last one. That would mean 3 unrelated injuries in 6 weeks.

Last edited:

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly
Totally missed this game but sounds pretty bad.

Could anyone fill me in with what happened? Was it a result of contact or was it an awkward save?

This sucks.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Totally missed this game but sounds pretty bad.

Could anyone fill me in with what happened? Was it a result of contact or was it an awkward save?

This sucks.

It appeared it may have happened as he tried to stretch possibly because of a prior moment of discomfort.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Well, that's probably the end of any playoff push if this is more than a few games. It's concerning how much trouble Mason has staying healthy, that looked like absolutely nothing.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I hope he sits for a while and actually fixes whatever is wrong with him. I'd hate to see his career cut short a la DiPietro.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if he's fit enough to be the backup on Friday.

Hextall says he's not coming to Montreal, and that the only fit guy under contract will be the backup - Stolarz.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
UPDATE: Mason likely out for rest of trip. Stolarz will be recalled.

It's not expected that Mason will travel to Montreal with the team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They need to shut Mason down longer than the estimated time this time. I'd hate to lose the best goalie we've had in years on some small odds of making the playoffs.

I would imagine they'll do their hardest to not let Stolarz in but with Emery that seems impossible. Hopefully Zepp can get back soon & Stolarz can be sent back down.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There is a bit of a break with the schedule in that the team plays just once until Friday (at Montreal, Tuesday). Stolarz could possibly be a fill-in for one-game based on the immediate need for a second goalie.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Obviously Stolarz isn't ready to be up full time, but one or two games is not going to be anything to freak out over. He's got the raw skill of an NHL goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad