TV: Fear The Walking Dead

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So it seems like it's a really significant time jump. They are jumping far ahead of where TWD will end in S8.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Well I think I enjoyed the Morgan episode better than the walking dead finale. I am interested to see what this season brings but I am kind of feeling its going to be alot of backstory which is told to the journalist.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, hopefully tonight, but I read there was quite a lot of typical Gimple stuff in it. That has me pretty concerned that they are going to ruin everything great they did last year and make it like TWD season 7 and 8, which were horrible.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Was a good episode. I really like John and Althea (a lot better than all the original FTWD characters save Strand). John as the classic Westerns, reminds me a bit of the titular character from the Rifleman (sans the rifle lol).

Didn’t really like that the main characters from Fear are now ostensibly bandits in Texas but I guess we’ll get explanations soon enough. It’s a huge time skip (4-6 years I believe), so I’m worried they’re going to do a lot of flashbacks, which this show often struggles with.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
My biggest problem with Fear was that I pretty much hated every single character (which would explain why I stopped watching 1-2 seasons ago). It's entirely possible that these 3 new characters (especially John Dorie) will change that and I'll actually stick around for an entire season (which hasn't happened yet)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So I watched it.it and it was decent. I really liked John Dorie and Althea has a lot of potential. I'be been long fed up with Morgan, so they better do something with him soon.

As I had heard, the episode was full of stupid Gimple stuff, like intelligent and cautious characters who have lived for years suddenly falling for obvious traps for purely plot reasons.

I read that Madison is going to be like Rick this season, and if so, f*** Gimple for that. She was a nasty, scheming person last season and I wanted them to build on that. Season 3 worked so well because it was full of complex characters who were various shades of grey. I like the two new characters for the same reason. If this season reverts to the shallow stereotypes that TWD has long become, we're in trouble.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Best episode of this entire train-wreck of a series. I only watched because my friend touted it as pretty much a Morgan spin-off episode, which is what it was.

Really, they should just kill off the existing cast and focus Morgan, John and Althea. Lennie James has more acting talent in his pinky than the rest of the original cast combined and his character is infinitely more interesting.

Reactions: Central PA Hawk Fan

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Best episode of this entire train-wreck of a series. I only watched because my friend touted it as pretty much a Morgan spin-off episode, which is what it was.

Really, they should just kill off the existing cast and focus Morgan, John and Althea. Lennie James has more acting talent in his pinky than the rest of the original cast combined and his character is infinitely more interesting.
I thought you didn't watch season 3?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

??? Season 3 was very well done (as far as zombie shows go lol) and easily better than a vast majority of the TWD seasons.

Reactions: Blender

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I thought you didn't watch season 3?
Binge watched the last few episodes of the first half and the 2nd half when I found out Morgan was joining the show.

I actually found myself enjoying the back half of S3 but I still feel this episode was even better than that batch.

??? Season 3 was very well done (as far as zombie shows go lol) and easily better than a vast majority of the TWD seasons.

The first half of season 3 and its same stereotyped two dimensional characters who didn't change as a result of experience but had it imposed upon them by the writers was just as horrendous as the first couple seasons for me. Same pedantic pacing, contrived plot mechanisms and immersion breaking lack of acting ability from the majority of the cast.

That said, the back half of the season post-Jeremiah's death was a notable step up for the series and the writing dramatically improved. The Qaletaqa tribe was handled well and the dynamic between Troy/Jake/Nick was interesting to watch. Enjoyed the Proctors and the dam locale as well. The pacing still leaves a lot to be desired and outside of Strand, Nick and Troy this past season the acting is still nothing to write home about and the character of Madison is just a pain to watch and listen to.

The Walking Dead has its own host of issues and is clearly suffering from poor writing, and cliche riddled tropes and underdeveloped plots the past three or so seasons but the one thing it has in spades over FTWD is acting ability. Put actors like Andy Lincoln, Melissa McBride, Danai Gurira and Khary Payton in FTWD's universe to replace the current cast and continue what the last 8 or 9 episodes have done and maybe you'd have a winning formula.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Binge watched the last few episodes of the first half and the 2nd half when I found out Morgan was joining the show.

I actually found myself enjoying the back half of S3 but I still feel this episode was even better than that batch.

The first half of season 3 and its same stereotyped two dimensional characters who didn't change as a result of experience but had it imposed upon them by the writers was just as horrendous as the first couple seasons for me. Same pedantic pacing, contrived plot mechanisms and immersion breaking lack of acting ability from the majority of the cast.

That said, the back half of the season post-Jeremiah's death was a notable step up for the series and the writing dramatically improved. The Qaletaqa tribe was handled well and the dynamic between Troy/Jake/Nick was interesting to watch. Enjoyed the Proctors and the dam locale as well. The pacing still leaves a lot to be desired and outside of Strand, Nick and Troy this past season the acting is still nothing to write home about and the character of Madison is just a pain to watch and listen to.

The Walking Dead has its own host of issues and is clearly suffering from poor writing, and cliche riddled tropes and underdeveloped plots the past three or so seasons but the one thing it has in spades over FTWD is acting ability. Put actors like Andy Lincoln, Melissa McBride, Danai Gurira and Khary Payton in FTWD's universe to replace the current cast and continue what the last 8 or 9 episodes have done and maybe you'd have a winning formula.

I agree with a majority of your post but I don't agree with the actors your rattled off. Andy Lincoln, Lennie and JDM have been amazing but the rest of your list in my opinion have not been as good as Colman Domingo, Rubén Blades, Daniel Sharman or even Daniel Sharman.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I agree with a majority of your post but I don't agree with the actors your rattled off. Andy Lincoln, Lennie and JDM have been amazing but the rest of your list in my opinion have not been as good as Colman Domingo, Rubén Blades, Daniel Sharman or even Daniel Sharman.
JDM has been fine, unfortunately his character is one of the worst main characters the show has ever introduced. He's a shallow caricature who never feels authentic or legitimate.

I definitely don't think the acting of the last few seasons of TWD (from what I could actually stand watching since it was mostly terrible) was better than season 3 of FTWD. A lot of that has to do with what some of the actors have been given to work with as well, as some of those actors had been fantastic in older seasons.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA

Heh, I was just about to say I actually liked this episode...most likely because none of the Fear characters were actually in it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The thing with the Fear characters, at least all the ones in season 3, is that none of them were supposed to be likable. It makes it tough to really root for anyone, but it also made for a much more interesting story when there was so much nuance between the 8 or 9 main cast members last season. So much less heel turning than what TWD has as well.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I was holding on to hope that they were altruistically getting rid of the walkers as eccentric potential allies (just to mix things up). But no, they had be more "give us all your stuff" bad guys

I audibly groaned when I heard they were called the Vultures

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How do people still watch this drivel ? The zombie crap has been beaten to death. And TWD and this spin off should just disappear into the night

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
How do people still watch this drivel ? The zombie crap has been beaten to death. And TWD and this spin off should just disappear into the night

The first episode was good except the part where smart and successful characters did dumb things when the cameras were rolling. The second was drivel. That's what these shows do, give you hope then crash it all f***ing down.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The first episode was good except the part where smart and successful characters did dumb things when the cameras were rolling. The second was drivel. That's what these shows do, give you hope then crash it all ****ing down.

People need to stop watching this crap. It's become so predictable. The show and the spinoff need to die.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad