TV: Fear The Walking Dead

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Finally got to watch the episode from last Sunday. Pretty good episode overall and a lot of good interactions with Strand, Walker, Daniel, and Madison.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think this thread lost some posts with the merge...

I agree, this season has been fantastic. Fear season 3 is as good as the best seasons of The Walking Dead, and miles better than TWD season 7. Alicia has really taken a big step up in the 2nd half here as well.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I haven't watched an episode since it came back, so I'm not going to read this thread so as to avoid spoilers.

As a fan of TWD, I started watching this from the beginning and had hopes it'd be good. The first couple of seasons, though, were pretty mediocre and sometimes downright dull to the point where I wanted to quit watching. I'm a completionist, though, so I didn't let myself, since it falls into the TWD universe.

This season has been better, from what I've seen. It's not great, but it's been noticeably better and decent overall. I've definitely enjoyed watching it more.

TWD isn't all that great anymore either, as it's just the same thing all over again.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I did stop watching it in season 2, never even finished the season. Season 3 is miles better than 2.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
To be fair, being miles better than season 2 is still an incredibly low bar to get over and doesn't inspire confidence that the Fear the Walking Dead is a decent show now.

Has any actual plot and character development happened or is it still just a bad acting and writing showcase? Because if the show has actually improved over the dumpster fire it's been during its entire run, I may masochistically binge this in the dead of winter when nothing else is airing.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
That's true. Saying something is miles better than season 2 of this show isn't saying a lot. This season hasn't been revolutionary, but it's been better and shows improvement for a show that was a tire fire for some time.

I've watched every episode (up until the recent break, as mentioned). I wanted to stop, but the completionist inside of me has a hard time dropping shows. American Horror Story -- which was absolute dogshit for years -- is an example of this. Last season was so bad it was laughable and embarrassing, whereas the two season before that were boring and bad.

The only really good season of AHS so far has been the first. I don't know why I still watch it, but I guess part of me hopes things will turn around.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This season has been much better.

And I just saw a post from the official Walking Dead Facebook page that a crossover is happening. No other info, just that it's real.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This season has been much better.

And I just saw a post from the official Walking Dead Facebook page that a crossover is happening. No other info, just that it's real.

I assume we'll just see someone from TWD show up on FTWD. The most popular theory seems to be Morales. He left in the season 1 finale with his wife/kids to head West to Alabama to try and find the rest of his family. Couldn't find them, so continued West.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's true. Saying something is miles better than season 2 of this show isn't saying a lot. This season hasn't been revolutionary, but it's been better and shows improvement for a show that was a tire fire for some time.

I've watched every episode (up until the recent break, as mentioned). I wanted to stop, but the completionist inside of me has a hard time dropping shows. American Horror Story -- which was absolute dog**** for years -- is an example of this. Last season was so bad it was laughable and embarrassing, whereas the two season before that were boring and bad.

The only really good season of AHS so far has been the first. I don't know why I still watch it, but I guess part of me hopes things will turn around.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way as you are. If I start something, I feel I owe it to myself to at least finish it. There are some shows though that are just so bad from a quality perspective, I'm finding it harder and harder to sludge through em if they don't have many redeeming qualities and American Horror Story is definitely one of those.

Murder House was amazing television and I thought Asylum had its strong moments as well but the last few episodes of that season is when Ryan Murphy previewed what was to come. Disjointed plots, suspension of belief to a ridiculous degree and no intention on having anything make much sense past the first couple episodes of a season. It feels like the show just throws everything they can imagine up against the wall and sees what sticks now. They've squandered so many themes that could've been interesting if taken more seriously.

I've always been vocal about AMC's money hungry greediness when it comes to the Walking Dead property and thought it silly they were so invested on making a spinoff when the main series already suffered from unrealized potential. Would've much rather seen them invest all their energy into more cohesive writing and better direction for the main series, which has shown the briefest flashes of having the ability to be a great show , than making another show and revisiting the exact same plot points of the original while doing nothing to expand on the source material. It's a shame because the shows could've been so much more and elevated the zombie genre.

Last edited:

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
To be fair, being miles better than season 2 is still an incredibly low bar to get over and doesn't inspire confidence that the Fear the Walking Dead is a decent show now.

Has any actual plot and character development happened or is it still just a bad acting and writing showcase? Because if the show has actually improved over the dumpster fire it's been during its entire run, I may masochistically binge this in the dead of winter when nothing else is airing.
I think the writing has improved, the story is at least interesting and it seems they're trying to come up with plots that haven't been done on the original series. However, there are two main issues that prevent me from getting sucked in to this series:
1. I still could not care less about any of the characters. I mean, we're full into Season 3, at this point I was heavily invested in almost all the main characters in TWD. Strand is interesting, so is Daniel to a degree. I kind of dig Walker a little bit, but I really don't care if they live or die, which sucks out all of the suspense for me. Its a huge issue for the show.
2. I don't know why they do it, or if its even on purpose, but the editing of the show really sucks. They skip over important scenes or mention important plot points in passing. It, again, erodes any suspense the show hopes to build for the viewer.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I thought they said it wasn't going to tie in or connect? (This was when the spinoff started)

Anyways, I watched the mid-season premiere yesterday after forgetting it was 2 hours long. It had its moments, but was kind of a slog.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think last nights episode was one of the best from the season. Nick introducing Troy to his drug fueled world is going to have all kinds of crazy consequences.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I now only have last night's episode left.

The ones in-between it and the mid-season premiere were pretty good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Great episode. Nick falling back into drug addiction of course, and dragging Troy with him.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Does this forum not have any sort of spoiler tag formatting?

(I don't see any, and blame myself for coming into this thread without being up to date. But it'd be nice if it did.)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Does this forum not have any sort of spoiler tag formatting?

(I don't see any, and blame myself for coming into this thread without being up to date. But it'd be nice if it did.)

No, once the episode airs it is free reign to talk about it. Not to many people follow this thread to validate having to use spoiler tags to talk about an episode which has already aired imo. If your going to be a day or two behind the air date then I would suggest to just avoid the thread until you watch it, no big deal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Proctor John seems to imply there's civilization left in Texas.
I don't think he means civilization, but he's after oil refineries there so there still may be people in charge of one or two (like in The Road Warrior). We've seen quite a few pockets of civilization in Fear though, more than in TWD.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Madison kills Troy not because he led the horde to the ranch but because he was right. Madison would have destroyed the ranch to get what she wanted. She is no different from him, except that Troy admits who he is.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why would you trust Strand? Why would anyone trust Strand anymore?
Madison kills Troy not because he led the horde to the ranch but because he was right. Madison would have destroyed the ranch to get what she wanted. She is no different from him, except that Troy admits who he is.
Yup, good point. She's as cold as Troy is but she doesn't want to admit it. She looks at Troy and sees herself, and she hates him for it, but it's also why she thought she could manipulate and control him before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad