FaZe Clan is taking over

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Are we calling people being good at videos games athletes now? Lol wtf.

I guess in COD4 days I was an athlete because I was in the top 30 on that game and our crew on game battles won multiple championships. :rolleyes:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
No, you cannot say the NHL isn't a sport because I wasn't using the fact that ESPN was covering hockey as a reason for it being one in the first place. You attempted to legitimize your claim of esports being a sport by mentioning this.
Actually, I didn't.

I stated the Nathan's hot dog eating contest was on ESPN and you states ESPN, the world leader in sports, which is their catch phrase, btw, is now marketing entertainment over sports.

Do they cover eSports? Probably.

Because gamers are athletes.

Glad you're harping on Ninja so much and completely ignoring the others.
Because Ninja in his prime was hands down the best gamer?

Ok, take True, the guy who has "professional athlete" on his Twitter. He's another who was very, very good back in the day.

Or do you want me to talk about a couple StarCraft guys? You tell me.

So why bring it up?
Because these guys are being paid like athletes?

I question this

It's a horrible analogy why?
Because no day trader can mop a lobby by themselves without dedicating a decent amount of time to perfecting said game.

Your whole argument seems to be that it's difficult, they make money, it's on ESPN, and now you're speculating that actual athletes would consider esports participants as athletes. None of this is even remotely convincing. This will go on and on, you'll make no attempt to actually clarify anything, so you keep thinking that what Ninja does is the same as what McDavid does.
Actually, I think 150k arena points in FN in one season is alot harder to do then what McDavid does. But that's just me.

See, I don't have sport athletes on a pedestal and appreciate the dedication a gamer puts into grinding. This is why you won't convince me that gamers aren't athletes.

Or that nascar drivers aren't athletes, etc.

If you actually played conpetitively, for money, on a big stage, you would know this.
Lol wat?

If you don't think if Bobby Fisher and his 140+ IQ chose to dedicate himself to a sport over chess, he wouldn't have been good, then I don't know what to tell you.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Are we calling people being good at videos games athletes now? Lol wtf.

I guess in COD4 days I was an athlete because I was in the top 30 on that game and our crew on game battles won multiple championships. :rolleyes:
And if you really were that good, you would have been recruited by an org like every other player high on the LB was during the CoD boom.

Just sayin

Reactions: Chaels Arms

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Actually, I didn't.

I stated the Nathan's hot dog eating contest was on ESPN and you states ESPN, the world leader in sports, which is their catch phrase, btw, is now marketing entertainment over sports.

Do they cover eSports? Probably.

Because gamers are athletes.

You tried to use ESPN to bolster your stance. You're wrong.

Ok, take True, the guy who has "professional athlete" on his Twitter. He's another who was very, very good back in the day.

Or do you want me to talk about a couple StarCraft guys? You tell me.

What does being the best gamer have to do with being an athlete? Sure, go ahead and talk about StarCraft guys. Explain to me how Boxer is an athlete, or Flash.

Because these guys are being paid like athletes?

Athletes get paid a varying amount of money depending upon what sport they play. Some barely get anything. The amount of money someone earns has nothing to do with whether or not someone is an athlete.

Because no day trader can mop a lobby by themselves without dedicating a decent amount of time to perfecting said game.

Some day traders are better than others and they are competing against people all day long. Why do they need a "lobby"?

Actually, I think 150k arena points in FN in one season is alot harder to do then what McDavid does. But that's just me.

He's an exceptional gamer. William James Mitchell Jr. isn't an athlete because he crushed Pacman. The guy who solves a Rubik's cube in a world record time isn't an athlete either.

See, I don't have sport athletes on a pedestal and appreciate the dedication a gamer puts into grinding. This is why you won't convince me that gamers aren't athletes.

Or that nascar drivers aren't athletes, etc.

If you actually played conpetitively, for money, on a big stage, you would know this.

Lol wat?

If you don't think if Bobby Fisher and his 140+ IQ chose to dedicate himself to a sport over chess, he wouldn't have been good, then I don't know what to tell you.

You keep trying to say that it's the difficulty that makes it a sport, which just isn't true. I don't care if winning a FN season is harder to do than what McDavid does, that doesn't make Ninja an athlete. It makes him a competitive gamer, a great one at that. I don't have athletes on a pedestal either, they're just athletes, which is different than a gamer.

Bobby Fisher didn't play a sport, so he's not an athlete. It's not about potential, it's about what they are actually doing.

Athlete: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Dedicating time sitting in a chair moving your thumbs isn't physical exertion or physical exercise. Ask a doctor.

My favorite part is that you still aren't even attempting to define what makes something a sport or someone an athlete.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I was a fan of Ninja just slightly before he really blew up. He was never the best. There were players that were better than him at Fortnite. However, he was absolutely the best at capitalizing on his fame and personality. He did what anyone else should have done, saw the bag and ran with it. I'm not attempting to diminish any of his accomplishments because I think he is a big factor in gaming taking a huge leap forward to being credible instead of the trope that gamers are basement dwellers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You tried to use ESPN to bolster your stance. You're wrong.

What does being the best gamer have to do with being an athlete? Sure, go ahead and talk about StarCraft guys. Explain to me how Boxer is an athlete, or Flash.

Athletes get paid a varying amount of money depending upon what sport they play. Some barely get anything. The amount of money someone earns has nothing to do with whether or not someone is an athlete.

Some day traders are better than others and they are competing against people all day long. Why do they need a "lobby"?

He's an exceptional gamer. William James Mitchell Jr. isn't an athlete because he crushed Pacman. The guy who solves a Rubik's cube in a world record time isn't an athlete either.

You keep trying to say that it's the difficulty that makes it a sport, which just isn't true. I don't care if winning a FN season is harder to do than what McDavid does, that doesn't make Ninja an athlete. It makes him a competitive gamer, a great one at that. I don't have athletes on a pedestal either, they're just athletes, which is different than a gamer.

Bobby Fisher didn't play a sport, so he's not an athlete. It's not about potential, it's about what they are actually doing.

Athlete: a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Dedicating time sitting in a chair moving your thumbs isn't physical exertion or physical exercise. Ask a doctor.

My favorite part is that you still aren't even attempting to define what makes something a sport or someone an athlete.
There seems to be a massive conflation of competitive activity=sport, which isn't true. And, something doesn't become a sport because it is hard at a competitive level. Anyone who plays a game of house league hockey would say they played a sport, very few who played COD or Fortnite would call what they played a sport. Nascar or F1 are actually insanely demanding though, put an average person in one of those cars and ask them to drive 500 laps, they would likely pass out due to the heat. Especially for races in certain climates. Ask someone to play 10 hours of Fortnite or COD they might get a headache.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It’s rather disingenuous to put MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh in the same discussion as E-sports, or competitive video games, as you prefer.

Esports require high levels of training, mental prowess, and actual physical skill.

That’s why many people consider them Electronic-Sports (E-sports).
Late reply here but what about it is so disingenuous? If games like Hearthstone and MTG Arena are considered E-Sports, surely their real life equivalents should be considered sports right?

Also, physical skill is not a requirement for a game to be considered an E-Sport, as both Hearthstone and MTG Arena are considered E-Sports, and implying TCGs don't require training and mental skill to compete at the highest level is laughable.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Are nascar drivers athletes? Golfers? Jockeys?

Nope.

Neither are people who compete on cooking or baking shows or competitions.

There's a lot of competitive activities that I can't do professionally, but it doesn't mean that all of those activities are sports and all of the people that do them are athletes.

Sure it's subjective, but to be an athlete requires some form of athletics IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nope.

Neither are people who compete on cooking or baking shows or competitions.

There's a lot of competitive activities that I can't do professionally, but it doesn't mean that all of those activities are sports and all of the people that do them are athletes.

Sure it's subjective, but to be an athlete requires some form of athletics IMO.
I'd say F1 and Nascar are, just due to the fact those cars run at ridiculous temps while requiring you to remain extremely co-ordinated. Most people would pass out trying to drive an F1 or Nascar for the required laps of a race. You need to be in insanely good shape to survive those cars.

Reactions: Frankie Spankie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd say F1 and Nascar are, just due to the fact those cars run at ridiculous temps while requiring you to remain extremely co-ordinated. Most people would pass out trying to drive an F1 or Nascar for the required laps of a race. You need to be in insanely good shape to survive those cars.

My Dad is a huge F1 fan and the physical toll is considerable.

But I'm not sure if it's a situation where you have to be an athlete to compete or whether it's just what has developed over time to improve longevity and overall competitiveness.

Someone like James Hunt was not known for physical conditioning.

Much like today's golfers who train like athletes even if the activity itself doesn't necessarily require it.

Personally I think that cases where the individual is not providing the locomotive component under their own power is more of a competitive activity.

A cyclist is more of an athlete than a race car driver or a jockey is.

I get it though, there's going to be a lot of hair splitting.

Curling? I mean, the sweepers sweep, but the skips just throw a stone. Bowling? I mean, it is all about accuracy, so then you're also obliged to look at shooting or archery.

I can understand people wanting to throw the definition wide open because it's all debatable.

In general though, I tend to regard the actual act of the athletic activity requiring physical strength and conditioning as a sport.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
My Dad is a huge F1 fan and the physical toll is considerable.

But I'm not sure if it's a situation where you have to be an athlete to compete or whether it's just what has developed over time.

Much like today's golfers who train like athletes even if the sport itself doesn't necessarily require it.
Being a racing driver is and always has been a physically demanding job

Don't forget endurance racing where people can drive for several hours at a time. Can't do that if you're fat.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't forget endurance racing where people can drive for several hours at a time. Can't do that if you're fat.

Are fighter pilots athletes?

My Dad was in plenty of dogfights (exercises) and it was very stressful physically.

I don't think he'd say he was an athlete though.

Air traffic controllers have to maintain remarkable focus while seated under intense stress for long periods of time. I guess they're athletes too like competitive gamers?

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

My Dad was in plenty of dogfights (exercises) and it was very stressful physically.

Air traffic controllers have to maintain remarkable focus while seated under intense stress for long periods of time. I guess they're athletes too like competitive gamers?
Well no, because they're not doing that competitively for sport and the situations aren't remotely comparable. Not sure why you're bringing either of those up to be honest.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Esport gamers are not athletes in the physical sense. Just like professional hunters or fisherman are not athletes in the physical sense but participate in a "sport"

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well no, because they're not doing that competitively for sport and the situations aren't remotely comparable. Not sure why you're bringing either of those up to be honest.

We are just waiting for some competition and it automatically becomes a sport and the participants are athletes.

Air racing already exists.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON

raw

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

These are bad examples. Even if they satisfy the athletic component that are the disagreeable point here for so many people, they wouldn't satisfy the "competitive playing" part of the definition of a sport (which nobody disagrees with), where Nascar would.

The more that air racing becomes a widely done/known thing, the more that it would be considered a sport and pilots athletes, sure. But then it wouldn't sound so crazy/implausible.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The more that air racing becomes a widely done/known thing, the more that it would be considered a sport and pilots athletes, sure. But then it wouldn't sound so crazy/implausible.

So you're saying that the popularity of a competitive activity is a criteria for whether something is considered a sport?

That's a pretty bad take.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So you're saying that the popularity of a competitive activity is a criteria for whether something is considered a sport?

That's a pretty bad take.
Being unaware of the existence of a playfully competitive version of a thing is a pretty big hurdle for it being widely recognized as a sport, yes. It's the only thing that makes the designation sound weird.

Aside from that, it's a disingenuous defense to begin with. You didn't bring up air racing, you brought up dog fights and air traffic control. A lack of athleticism isn't even the main sticking point for why people don't think of those as sports, regardless of whether they require it.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Being unaware of the existence of a playfully competitive version of a thing is a pretty big hurdle for it being widely recognized as a sport, yes. It's the only thing that makes the designation sound weird.

Aside from that, it's a disingenuous defense to begin with. You didn't bring up air racing, you brought up dog fights and air traffic control. A lack of athleticism isn't even the main sticking point for why people don't think of those as sports, regardless of whether they require it.

I did in fact bring up air racing in a subsequent post. They basically took an existing activity and created a competition around it.

Dog fights are also competitive in that the top aces of every major air conflict are carefully tracked and analyzed statistically. If air traffic controlling was interesting enough, you could certainly track who lands the most planes in a given time period.

War games and air exercises assign points and anoint champions just like any sport.

The point I was making is that, according to some of the definitions employed in this thread, any activity can be turned into a competition and thence into a sport because every activity involves some mental/physical component.

You made some kind of odd tangential point that a sport requires some threshold of recognition by a larger population which I fundamentally disagree with. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's a sport and vice versa.

There are plenty of worthy sports out there that I'll wager a lot of people are completely unaware of.

Again, as I've made clear numerous times, to be an athlete you have to be involved in some kind of athletic activity. It's in the very name.

It's not some kind of tier of competitive activity that is any better or worse than something else, it is simply defining the type of competitive activity.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3