FaZe Clan is taking over

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So definitions are now gatekeeping?

Er, isn't that what you implied earlier?

Krisbryantisbest said:
i also stated in my first post that people need to re-imagine their definition of what an athlete is and stop...pardon the trope... gatekeeping the antiquated definition of sweaty jocks towel snapping each other over a touchdown. Its 2021, move forward.

If the activity is itself athletic, as you've proposed, than anyone who plays a game competitively is an esports athlete. I myself have been an esports athlete since Pac Man and Donkey Kong.

Obviously there are professional and amateur esports athletes.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Er, isn't that what you implied earlier?

If the activity is itself athletic, as you've proposed, than anyone who plays a game competitively is an esports athlete. I myself have been an esports athlete since Pac Man and Donkey Kong.

Obviously there are professional and amateur esports athletes.
Well, take this for what it is, but the definition of an eSports athlete is already posted.

If you are under contract, then good for you. If not, then I guess your a minor leaguer?

Keep grinding, bruh. I have faith in you? (Shrugs)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, take this for what it is, but the definition of an eSports athlete is already posted.

If you are under contract, then good for you. If not, then I guess your a minor leaguer?

Keep grinding, bruh. I have faith in you? (Shrugs)

I play for the love of the game.

Ultimately where there is a fundamental misunderstanding is the fact that "Gatekeeping" keeps coming up as if the title of "athlete" is something that is somehow more vaunted or impressive.

It isn't.

It's a descriptor, not a rank.

That's the part that I find funny.

I really don't idolize athletes any more than gamers. Sure, they make more money at the highest levels right now, but they've also been around a lot longer and have a larger worldwide audience for the most part. There's a much larger infrastructure for the training and development of athletes relative to gamers.

There's nothing inherently more important about playing an athletic game for money or playing a game for money that requires extreme levels of manual dexterity.

In both cases, they have taken an entertaining activity and monetized it for audiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: PK Cronin

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I play for the love of the game.

Ultimately where there is a fundamental misunderstanding is the fact that "Gatekeeping" keeps coming up as if the title of "athlete" is something that is somehow more vaunted or impressive.

It isn't.

It's a descriptor, not a rank.

That's the part that I find funny.

I really don't idolize athletes any more than gamers. Sure, they make more money at the highest levels right now, but they've also been around a lot longer and have a larger worldwide audience for the most part.

There's nothing inherently more important about playing an athletic game for money or playing a game for money that requires extreme levels of manual dexterity.

In both cases, they have taken an entertaining activity and monetized it for audiences.
I never said there was.

But do keep going

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I still don’t understand why they can’t just be called “Professional Gamers” instead of athletes. I played against a lot of very good players in Counterstrike, Halo 2 & 3, COD 4, and MW2 and I never once thought of them as athletes. They’re pro-gamers. That’s it. It doesn’t take away from their skill or how hard it is to play at that level.

I guess I don’t see the necessity to refer to these people as athletes.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I still don’t understand why they can’t just be called “Professional Gamers” instead of athletes. I played against a lot of very good players in Counterstrike, Halo 2 & 3, COD 4, and MW2 and I never once thought of them as athletes. They’re pro-gamers. That’s it. It doesn’t take away from their skill or how hard it is to play at that level.

I guess I don’t see the necessity to refer to these people as athletes.

This 100%. I am very good at warzone rebirth island. top 3.8% in win % and top 3.9% in wins . Stats via COD tracker. I dont consider myself an athlete by any means. I'm just good at the game.

Like you said they are pro gamers. they are not athletes based on the universal and understood definition of what an athlete is.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This 100%. I am very good at warzone rebirth island. top 3.8% in win % and top 3.9% in wins . Stats via COD tracker. I dont consider myself an athlete by any means. I'm just good at the game.

Like you said they are pro gamers. they are not athletes based on the universal and understood definition of what an athlete is.

I don't see the compulsion in requiring the "athlete" label. Does it further legitimize people's interest in something that is/was thought of as a time-wasting activity?

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Well, since the definition of an esport athlete is being part of an established org, then yes, you were not an athlete.

Which is odd, considering the time frame. If you really were a top 30 player in 2007, you would have been signed.

Quickly.

So pardon me if im having a hard time believing you. CoD4 ushered in the CoD boom and theres no way that in a orbit of 16.5 million players in 2007 you were a top 30.
I mean, this is easy to look up, you know.

And no offense, i say this as one of the best FN players in the world, altho i havent played too much of the new season and im ranked 800 something out of a user base of 35 million, where as last season i was ranked 9th in the world.
And if people think im lying im more then happy to post pics.

like this one....
Screenshot-20201204-030444-2.png

Ranked first, bro. Out of 35 million players. Yes, thats me. I actually paid the 20 bucks to have my screen name changed to KBIB just to prove this. It takes a couple days but trust me, ill link it.
This is why i can say i question your claim, because ive had orgs come at me for months.

High five tho

I don’t really care if you believe me or not. It’s the internet.

At the end of the day video game players are not athletes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't see the compulsion in requiring the "athlete" label. Does it further legitimize people's interest in something that is/was thought of as a time-wasting activity?

This was my theory back on page one. It's the only thing that makes sense. You don't see chess players similarly insisting on being called athletes because there isn't a similar stigma to playing chess. It's not considered a time-wasting activity. It's well accepted that it's good for the mind. Games can be just as good for the mind (ex. a Starcraft game is every bit the mental exercise of a chess game), but society mostly hasn't accepted that and is still partially stuck in the 80s mentality of games causing brain rot, and that's why I believe that we're seeing this weird experiment of trying to pass them off as "sports," instead. Wanting to recognize the mental and physical coordination required in games and remove the stigma is good, but I think that going all of the way and trying to pass them off as sports and gamers as athletes just convinces a lot of people to continue not taking them seriously.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Surely I’m not alone in finding FaZe Clan to be a bunch of obnoxious jerk wads?
I think I've vaguely heard of some rotten Logan Paul-esque scumbag social media personalities having some association with Faze, but I'm not sure if they're part of the clan (?) or how exactly that works.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
All I know about them is some current/former members getting involved in some kind of children's charity crypto scam.

FaZe Clan 'pump and dump' scam leaves fans out of pocket, FaZe Kay dropped, Jarvis, Nikan and Teeqo suspended

I think I've vaguely heard of some rotten Logan Paul-esque scumbag social media personalities having some association with Faze, but I'm not sure if they're part of the clan or how exactly that works.

Yeah this crypto scam is just another shady thing this clan has done. Not a fan of how they conduct themselves as a whole. Was disappointed when Nickmercs joined them.

I also enjoy this video of Banks going into a GameStop and nobody knows who he is :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I also enjoy this video of Banks going into a GameStop and nobody knows who he is :laugh:

I've been gaming for over 35 years and I'd never heard of any of these individuals or FaZe until this thread. In fact, the only competitive gamer that I could name is Thresh, and he was active 25 years ago. I guess that I'm old and out of touch.

Reactions: Jovavic

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been gaming for over 35 years and I'd never heard of any of these individuals or FaZe until this thread. In fact, the only competitive gamer that I could name is Thresh, and he was active 25 years ago. I guess that I'm old and out of touch.
Being in touch is overrated anyways, whether it's for something past your time or of it.

Reactions: Osprey

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

The closest E-sports scene I followed was back when SC2 launched with the days of HuK, IdrA, iNcontrol (RIP) etc. I'm glad it's still going on but I recognize nobody.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad