World Cup: Favourite World Cup Goals!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Gary Lineker's second for England against Poland, 1986.

Surely the best (only?) team goal England has scored at a World Cup in my time. Alas, this version doesn't come with the definitive Barry Davies commentary.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Talking of great team goals, Esteban Cambiasso, Argentina v Serbia & Montenegro, 2006.

The BBC is doing a World Cup countdown: 50 moments that it reckons carry significance. Today it showed this goal, but with the unspeakable crassness of people who don't really care about football trying to sell it to the unwashed masses, the footage is speeded up. After all, the move contains 24 passes, it lasts nearly 90 seconds. Who has time for that in this day and age, when they could be on social media watching a cat walk into a plank of wood, or tweeting about the dirt under their toenails.

Happily, here's the real thing. Yes, the S&M gang should get tighter, but if you don't love this goal your soul is dead.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal

For the first half of that game, it seemed like Suker's Croatia might will its way into the final. Then Lillian Thuram scores twice in the second half to win the game. His only two goals in 142 selections with France. The drama, his face after the goal, everything's there.

Reactions: Evilo

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

For the first half of that game, it seemed like Suker's Croatia might will its way into the final. Then Lillian Thuram scores twice in the second half to win the game. His only two goals in 142 selections with France. The drama, his face after the goal, everything's there.

This still hurts watching :(

My favourite goal...Suker's for 2:1 against Netherlands, which gave us Bronze.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This still hurts watching :(

My favourite goal...Suker's for 2:1 against Netherlands, which gave us Bronze.
That goal also gave Suker the golden boot. Great player Suker but an asshole in life. Suker went from being a legend to one of the most hated people in his own country.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This goal for the finish, its importance, and the celebration. Top class all around!

Every time I watch this goal it gives me chills. I have a friend from S. Africa and what that goal and would cup meant for them is pretty special. Just a great moment in soccer.

Reactions: cgf

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Still remember the first goal of the 06 WC.

...and then Frings followed up with an even better one in the same match

Another one from an unlikely goalscorer. Cracking hit (vuvuzela warning)

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Worth noting Thuram was responsible for Suker's goal (bad alignement IIRC). One of only two goals France would concede in the tournament.

Reactions: Turtleneck Plek

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

This is another one. It wasn't that it was a fantastic goal, but it was the trend of this tournament that crazy results were happening, and that was probably the craziest one. Two goals in three minutes, and out they went. The way I remember it, Bulgaria could have beaten Italy as well, but the referee wasn't exactly fair to them.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

The bend on that shot was ridiculous, I know there's footage of it from behind but the videos are much longer and I'm not going to bother looking for it.

Obligatory missed goal, better known as The Dummy:

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

This is another one. It wasn't that it was a fantastic goal, but it was the trend of this tournament that crazy results were happening, and that was probably the craziest one. Two goals in three minutes, and out they went. The way I remember it, Bulgaria could have beaten Italy as well, but the referee wasn't exactly fair to them.

I think it felt crazier than it was because Germany had made a habit of looking like crap and still winning. But Germany was a slow, old team that clearly struggled with the conditions in the U.S. that summer (hot and humid). They had struggled in almost every match of the tournament.

Reactions: cgf and Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
You know, even though I watched the Maradona goal live, and have seen it replayed umpteen times, I'd never before noticed Terry Fenwick's typically rubbish attempt at baulking Maradona by sticking out his left arm, as though attempting an ill-judged clothesline.

Amazing how many times you can watch something yet miss important details. Mind, it was only thanks to the different replay angles this clip affords that my attention was caught. Usually when I see the goal replayed, it's in real time from the camera to England's right side.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
You know, even though I watched the Maradona goal live, and have seen it replayed umpteen times, I'd never before noticed Terry Fenwick's typically rubbish attempt at baulking Maradona by sticking out his left arm, as though attempting an ill-judged clothesline.

Amazing how many times you can watch something yet miss important details. Mind, it was only thanks to the different replay angles this clip affords that my attention was caught. Usually when I see the goal replayed, it's in real time from the camera to England's right side.

Was that not as a result of Fenwick being already booked and Maradona's incredible strength ?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

For a long time we all wondered/argued whether that was actually an own goal by the defender (because we didn't have HD then) but once we saw the behind the goal replay, we dropped it.

One of the great team goals in WC history:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad