World Cup: Favourite World Cup Goals!

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Goal 1:30.

Still one of the most terrible awful attack on beautiful football. The Schumacher assulat obviously, but also the numerous awful tackles from behind and Schumacher taunting french fans after the game.

It's still shocking how he was not sent off. Battiston was lucky he wasn't paralyzed. Another shocking incident.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
For a long time we all wondered/argued whether that was actually an own goal by the defender (because we didn't have HD then) but once we saw the behind the goal replay, we dropped it.

/QUOTE]

I wondered about that too.

As for the Carlos Alberto goal, it's amazing the majesty Pele manages to endow to a simple layoff.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Both Holland's goals from the game against Brazil in 1974:

Johan Neeskens capping a long-distance one-two with a brilliantly judged finish.

Johan Cruyff's brilliant volley.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Maradona’s goal vs England is without a doubt the greatest of all time.
I love this one as well

Oh that was such a heartbreaking sequence of events. I was in the army most of that year and watched many of the games at my unit. That game I was on leave and I remember sreaming at the tv at home with Diego. Only to be bitterly disappointed a day or too later when he tested positive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If my uncle hasn't yet converted his tapes of west germany '72-'76 I need to get them from him this summer and do so. That's the team that first got me into the sport, even though his tapes of Gladbach from the early 70s and going to a Union match as a 6 year old where what sealed it.

PS - In case some of you didn't know this yet, but Sparwasser = GOAT. I'll never forget the way my grandmother told me about this goal and it what it meant for the entire DDR the first time I heard about it. Her telling me about that might be one of my earliest (mostly) clear memories

Last edited:
Reactions: Stray Wasp

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
PPS - this is now officially the general football-nostalgia thread, right? Cause Gunter Netzer = GOAT except for when he's facing Sparwasser

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'd never before seen Houseman's goal for Argentina against Italy, but has similar elements to the goal Maradona would score in 86 against the same opponents.

And it strikes me how often Lato congratulated his teammates by planting a kiss on their cheeks.

Reactions: cgf

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
PPS - this is now officially the general football-nostalgia thread, right?

No.

So for punishment you have to watch a four hour long highlight reel entitled, 'The Best of Joselu', and write the sentence, 'Football was never good until the modern era (start date of said era to be entered when someone lets us know what it was)', one hundred times.

Reactions: Evilo and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No.

So for punishment you have to watch a four hour long highlight reel entitled, 'The Best of Joselu', and write the sentence, 'Football was never good until the modern era (start date of said era to be entered when someone lets us know what it was)', one hundred times.

I'm pretty sure I watched the best of Joselu happen live when I was still intrigued by the Hoppenheim project...in the pre-Nagelsmann era...haven't I suffered enough already?!?!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm stuck in a loop of beautiful Netzer / Müller / Breitner / Beckenbauer clips now, and god damn was that group something else...I don't think I'll ever forgive the DFB for pushing Netzer out of the squad for his move to Real, or for forcing Gerd out. There's no doubt in my mind that we would not have lost to Czechoslovakia in the 76 final...and thereby achieved the 3-peat that spain 2008-12 did, 36 years later...if Müller was still starting for the NT.

I don't think I've seen a player to this day who had as supernatural of instincts for where to go to score or who could swivel on a dime in a split second, like "the fat little Müller". I know I often speak about how it's forgotten that he was almost a false-9 at times with the way he was cycled out wide, or into the midfield for both Bayern & the NT, but then I watch the goals he scored and I remember why it's so often forgotten that he was anything more than the greatest poacher of all time.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
WC 1998 is the one I have the most fond memories of.

This goal by Ebbe Sand, on an assist from M.Laudrup doing an actual trademark Laudrup lob pass, is my fav.

Ebbe Sand had just been subbed on aswell.

This beaut from Lahm is also a fav. Always had a softspot for Lahm.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If I could find a longer clip of this one, it would be better. Play-up to the goal has a few more good passes.

Say what you want about Jon Dahl, but he could score.

Denmark vs. Uruguay

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Whatever the one was where the Italian player scored from a corner kick.

James goal was pure beauty from the last world cup as well.

Goal 1:30.

Still one of the most terrible awful attack on beautiful football. The Schumacher assulat obviously, but also the numerous awful tackles from behind and Schumacher taunting french fans after the game.

Surprised you didn't choose the headbutt. The accuracy from that goal was one of the best I've seen, right in the solar plexus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->