World Cup: Favourite World Cup Goals!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Gerd Muller, West Germany v Italy, 1970.

Clearly, the defenders here behave like clowns, but its a small masterpiece of alertness from the striker. The instant the ball heads in the direction of the goal Muller is on the move, just in case something drops his way.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Bobby Charlton, England v Mexico, 1966.

Difficult as it is to put out of one's mind the dismal waxwork who travels the globe spreading the religion of Manchester United, the fellow could play.

Reactions: Denzil

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
big_1473607398_image.jpg

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Goal 1:30.

Still one of the most terrible awful attack on beautiful football. The Schumacher assulat obviously, but also the numerous awful tackles from behind and Schumacher taunting french fans after the game.

Reactions: BMann

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Dennis Bergkamp, Holland v Argentina, 1998. (With suitably hysterical commentary).

Just beautiful.

Maybe my favourite all time World Cup goal. The time in the game too. The silkiest couple of touches from Bergkamp to control and best the defender, and the thunderous finish.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Saeed Al-Owairan's great run in 1994.

Based on his celebration, you would have thought Rachid Yekini scored the most difficult goal ever and that goal won the WC.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't even imagine what it was like to be alive when this happened. I was born some three & a half decades after this happened, but watching this match (or just its highlights) still gives me chills...and I can't help but pump my fist every time I see Rahn's equalizer. The Mighty Magyars really were just on another than anything we saw until the Brazilian golden age of the late 60s and the total football generations in Germany & the Netherlands...and our semi-pros left them WC-less :yo:

And sorry Pedro, but I do still like to re-watch these :naughty:

Even though this one is still my favorite:

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Roger Milla scoring against Argentina in the opening match in 1990 WC was unforgetable. The goal itself wasnt much, but him and Schillagi from Italy was the stars of that tournament.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As an American:

In general:

The second one is simple. The way that final was played, there would never have been a less deserving team of winning the World Cup, and it was justice.

Last one:

That Maxi afterward wound up playing for my favorite team and scored some sweet goals was like icing on the cake.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Roger Milla scoring against Argentina in the opening match in 1990 WC was unforgetable. The goal itself wasnt much, but him and Schillagi from Italy was the stars of that tournament.

Forgive me being a spoilsport, but it was Francois Oman-Biyik who scored that Cameroon goal.

Obviously, Milla's time would come.

I'd agree it was a stunning result.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not one of my favourite goals but I do however love Crouch's terrible robot celebration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad