Favourite International Rivalries?

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Finland-Sweden, even if it's been horrible for me last... few... years... decades even.

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
Finland-Sweden.

So bitter, the last decade we've been losing nearly every game against the Sweds. Please god let today be different!

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Yep it is Finland against Sweden. But i also hope that Denmark, Norway and Even Estonia will become better level or two so we can beat them with passion! :D

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
uhh? cze - rus only 6 votes? ... rofl :laugh: .. this is probably the longest rivalry in the hockey history .. (it started in the 40s as CSSR vs SSSR)

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Very young nations like Russia and Check republic will obviously suffer in a poll like this.

do you think fans didn't remember it? ... I was born in CSSR for example :) + I'm not saying this rivalry is the best and must win here ... but 6 votes here (till now) = lol

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
do you think fans didn't remember it? ... I was born in CSSR for example :) + I'm not saying this rivalry is the best and must win here ... but 6 votes here (till now) = lol

I think the reason why that rivalry got so few votes can be explained with the fact that there are not too many czechs or russians here on the board. The reason why is that is propably also because in Czech republic they dont have so many computers as they do for example in nordic countries.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Yeah, however ČSSR vs. USSR is not the same as CZE vs Russia and the world situation is completely different....and also this rivalry probably is nowhere near as popular between Russians as it is between Czechs....especially in the light of their recent rivalry between them and Canada....

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I think the reason why that rivalry got so few votes can be explained with the fact that there are not too many czechs or russians here on the board. The reason why is that is propably also because in Czech republic they dont have so many computers as they do for example in nordic countries.

:lol: Gold!

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

:facepalm:

Yes, we are 3rd worl countries in these parts of Europe and most of us have never seen a computer. :shakehead:help:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_per_com_percap-media-personal-computers-per-capita (and that´s stats from 6 years ago and counting only personal cumpters and not laptops)

vezna*

gold medal game from last year was nothing short of epic

i didn't even know there was a swe-fin rivalry

Seanconn*

I don't think Czech Republic Russia got enough simply because this is an english language forum... not really anything to do with computer or internet usage, at all lol. .

Also, I think the split up of Czechoslovakia is a big reason Czech Republic only has 8 votes. But, you do have to note almost all kids in Scandinavia learn english in high school. Also, it's really no surprise Finland/Sweden got the most votes... considering the results of the WC this year/ the location of this thread :D

I put that one first because they won Gold in 1998, which was an epic game. (1998 olympics is one of the most vivid hockey memories I have as a kid... Canada's shootout loss, Hasek, Selanne and Koivu... Canada loosing again :(

I just didn't think they'd dominate the poll so much ! ... good job :D

ps:

Could a mod add in Slovakia/ Russia as an option in the poll? (take out the second Canada if posible) thanks! :yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Seanconn*

Would of woted but theres no option Finland - Sweden :)

I tried to keep things ipartial and tried to list them in order of West to East... as well as I could without looking at a map. :)

which is hard for countries like Canada and the US compared with Russia... is it east or west? :laugh: I went with East.

Canuckommunist

May 2, 2011
Vancouver
Hmm. Personally I like the U.S. and Russia best (though a US-Soviet one would be even better) but I could settle with US-Canada, any one of the Nordic countries (if Denmark/Norway ever get their hockey act together :D) or Czech Republic-Slovakia.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

And the ones that do have them have only a few minutes of electricity each day to use them. :)

For me, nothing beats Canada vs Russia when each team has their best roster and the stakes are high.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Intensity on the ice and in the audience is greatest in FIN-SWE. That game is never meaningless.

My second choice is RUS-CAN, although it is no more the same kind of "Rocky versus Ivan Draco -battle" as it used to be in the Cold War era.

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
I respect the FIN-SWE rivalry, but there's something about their styles of play that doesn't quite lure me in as much as when RUS, CAN, or CZE are playing... it's just different. The 2011 final was entertaining for the most part though.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
The Sweden-Finland games may not be the most entertaining, but for me it's clearly the most important. Losing hurts like hell and there's no opponent I'd rather win in an important game. This matchup is probably more important for Finns, because we are usually the underdog and Sweden has won more in hockey. Hockey is also clearly the number 1 sport in Finland, but in Sweden football is just as important. I doubt many Finns will care that much if we lose to Sweden in football.

Finland-Russia is my second favourite. The rivalry isn't as strong as with Sweden, but there's probably even more "hate" at least from Finnish side, thanks to our troubled history with Russia. Finland-Russia is more like a David vs. Goliath battle than a "we must win, or else!"-game like Sweden vs. Finland. Russia also seems to be the better opponent for us, and we have some memorable wins over tham (Turin 2006, Moscow 2007, 2011).

Canada-Russia is probably my favourite non-Finnish matchup. Lots of history involved in this matchup. Two very different hockey cultures but both are extremely skilled teams. Russia hasn't quite recovered from the terrible 1990s yet. Sochi will be insane, if NHL:ers are allowed to participate.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, however ČSSR vs. USSR is not the same as CZE vs Russia and the world situation is completely different....and also this rivalry probably is nowhere near as popular between Russians as it is between Czechs....especially in the light of their recent rivalry between them and Canada....

How is it not the same? I don't see much difference ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad