Favourite International Rivalries?

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
yeah, right: sweden- finland is the most popular rivaly?! Nough said:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: It says tons of the nationality breakdown of the fan population present on these boards, rather than gives u even the remotest sense of reality.

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
How is it not the same? I don't see much difference ;)

For your reference, we, Russians, do not have any special rivalry with the Czechs - it's u who have it with us at your choosing. Our major rivalry is with Canada, always has been and always will be.
That's not to say that we don't respect the Czech hockey school or whatever, it just serves to emphasize that, unlike u, we do not bear any grudge or animosity against the Czechs and have never had, so for us playing the Czech Republic is just another game, nothing more, nothing less. It's for u that playing Russia is something special, 'cause u obviously have retained the cold war mentality and still live in 1968, which is actually very sad and disappointing:shakehead.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
For your reference, we, Russians, do not have any special rivalry with the Czechs - it's u who have it with us at your choosing. Our major rivalry is with Canada, always has been and always will be.
That's not to say that we don't respect the Czech hockey school or whatever, it just serves to emphasize that, unlike u, we do not bear any grudge or animosity against the Czechs and have never had, so for us playing the Czech Republic is just another game, nothing more, nothing less. It's for u that playing Russia is something special, 'cause u obviously have retained the cold war mentality and still live in 1968, which is actually very sad and disappointing:shakehead.

I understand everything you said. For me it's not big rivalry either. I just said I thing that CZE-RUS is very similar to CSSR-USSR before that.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
yeah, right: sweden- finland is the most popular rivaly?! Nough said:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: It says tons of the nationality breakdown of the fan population present on these boards, rather than gives u even the remotest sense of reality.

Ehm, that's the point isn't it? Do you really think canadians would vote differenly than anything with Canada in it, for example? So of course nationality is going to color the poll. :help:

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
I understand everything you said. For me it's not big rivalry either. I just said I thing that CZE-RUS is very similar to CSSR-USSR before that.

Similar in that the Czech Republic and Russia are legal successors to Czechoslovakia and the USSR, both nation- and hockey-wise, but not nearly so as far as emotional intensity is concerned! Well, at least it applies to the Russians:)

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Ehm, that's the point isn't it? Do you really think canadians would vote differenly than anything with Canada in it, for example? So of course nationality is going to color the poll. :help:

It's exactly what I'm saying: this poll makes no sense and is completely pointless, because its results are defined by the overwhelming majoirty of voters being from Sweden and Finland.

But if u look at the history of world hockey how can u OBJECTIVELY say that the most popular rivalry is between these two nations??? With all due respect, it's simply beyond the ridiculous.

So what do we have in the end: historically-speaking, it's simply too far from the truth to be taken seriously, but if we are talking present day, then again the results are a reflection of the nationality representation on this thread rather than give u an even remotely objective picture. In other words, the poll is inherently skewed and hence totally POINTLESS. And this is precisely my point!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It's exactly what I'm saying: this poll makes no sense and is completely pointless, because its results are defined by the overwhelming majoirty of voters being from Sweden and Finland.

But if u look at the history of world hockey how can u OBJECTIVELY say that the most popular rivalry is between these two nations??? With all due respect, it's simply beyond the ridiculous.

So what do we have in the end: historically-speaking, it's simply too far from the truth to be taken seriously, but if we are talking present day, then again the results are a reflection of the nationality representation on this thread rather than give u an even remotely objective picture. In other words, the poll is inherently skewed and hence totally POINTLESS. And this is precisely my point!

No dude, this is the most legit poll you will ever find. This is scientific fact. This poll has an error margin of 2.5% 19 times out of 20.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
its gotta be canada/usa for me, in terms of hockey history maybe theres more to be said for canada/russia but i think canada/usa is way more competetive. if theres one thing canadians HATE its losing to americans, and i dont doubt if america feels the same towards us.

sweden/finland is a great one too but for me i like both countries and its hard for me to get the same intensity out of their matchups cause im happy with either team winning

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
No dude, this is the most legit poll you will ever find. This is scientific fact. This poll has an error margin of 2.5% 19 times out of 20.

Got it: next time I need a "scientific fact":sarcasm: I turn to u - u r sure to have a goldmine of these up your sleeve:laugh:

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
Russia - Canada.
Canada - USA.

As for with Sweden involved, I'd definitely go for Sweden - Canada. A victory against Canada is like no other victory (in icehockey).

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
uhh? cze - rus only 6 votes? ... rofl :laugh: .. this is probably the longest rivalry in the hockey history .. (it started in the 40s as CSSR vs SSSR)

I'm suprised about that aswell. Didn't get the Slovakai - Czech "rivalry" comments at all..

Here's mine then:

#1 Swe - Can, Always want to win against Canada or see them loose.
#2 Swe - Fin, you NEVER EVER want to loose against Finland.
#3 Can - Rus, The two superpowers of hockey, classic.
#4 Can - Fin, Big Canada against little Canada :sarcasm:
#5 Ger - Swi, Two good hockey countries on the rise and with great fans. Good attendence makes it into a hockey feast.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Btw. from the Czech side there is pretty big rivalry towards Canada also. These feelings started with this brawl:

And since that fights in CZE-CAN games are quite often. Last time it happened with Perry during last year's WHC.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Btw. from the Czech side there is pretty big rivalry towards Canada also. These feelings started with this brawl:

And since that fights in CZE-CAN games are quite often. Last time it happened with Perry during last year's WHC.

I remember that game. I watched it with my dad. That's when I REALLY started hating Team Canada. The brutes, goons and bullies of hockey. No class.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Really?

I haven't really registered much of a rivalry with the Czech Republic.

It's the US and Russia and that's about it.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Really?

I haven't really registered much of a rivalry with the Czech Republic.

It's the US and Russia and that's about it.

I said it's onesided. I'm not stupid to think there is some rivalry with Czech Republic in Canada .

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Czech-Russia going back over time has been fun to watch, probably starting for me at the WJC's in Hamilton in '86.

SaunaMajuri

May 17, 2011
Tampere Finland
Finland-Sweden no doupt of that.

I always enjoy the game when Latvia, Germany or Switzerland is on the ice. Thanks goes to incredible fans and entertaining hockey what they perform:handclap:

ugrimugri*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
Calle Johansson is a smug a-hole, can't stand him.

For all of you, who actually are too young to remember Nagano 1998:

- this was the first Olympics ever where NHL players could participate

- the quarterfinal was FIN vs SWE, featuring all the best players from both of these teams (S Koivu, Selanne, Forsberg, Sundin and all the others)

- Finns won it 2-1 (Koivu-Selanne behind the 2 Finnish goals and Forsberg scored the only swedish goal)

- after the game calle johanson in an interview said pretty much that this was a huge disgrace that we lost to THIS team (he obviously thinks that the finns are never worthy of anything) - obviously this guy is a huge Finn-hater and we learned that again this spring

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
I find it natural that the rivalry between Sweden and Finland is a lot more meaningful at this side of the border. After all, we were just an eastern province of your country for centuries.

For years we've been careful to watch what Sweden does and only after that acted ourselves. It applies in politics, economy, entertainment businness and yes, even in sports (joining the €-countries was maybe our only choice where we didn't follow our neighbours and now it seems that maybe we should have).

The little brother-complex couldn't be more accurate. We like to tease you and still we'd like nothing more than to be like you are. Anyway, we coulnd't have a better bigbrother than Sweden. :)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I find it natural that the rivalry between Sweden and Finland is a lot more meaningful at this side of the border. After all, we were just an eastern province of your country for centuries.

For years we've been careful to watch what Sweden does and only after that acted ourselves. It applies in politics, economy, entertainment businness and yes, even in sports (joining the €-countries was maybe our only choice where we didn't follow our neighbours and now it seems that maybe we should have).

The little brother-complex couldn't be more accurate. We like to tease you and still we'd like nothing more than to be like you are. Anyway, we coulnd't have a better bigbrother than Sweden. :)

What? Speak for yourself. I dont want to be anything like Sweden. They have huge problems with immigrants etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->