Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
This is the Police

Probably forgetting some.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Kena - Bridge of Spirits and it’s not even close. Such an amazing polished game with incredible storytelling from a small independent studio. This is already one of the all time greats on PS5.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Found a new gem if you like RTS games. It's called Rusted Warfare and you can find it on steam. It was 3 dollars today and there is honestly a lot of content there.

Great little online game as well if you have friends that like RTS games.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
80s Overdrive
Horizon Chase Turbo
Wreckfest
Assault Suit Leynos
Valfaris
The Mummy Demastered
Shovel Knight
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
This is the Police

Probably forgetting some.
Assault Suit Leynos is a hidden gem, more people should play it. Shovel Knight I like it more and more each time I play it.

Last edited:

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
I've been playing Cruelty Squad for the last few days. The game is as good as it is disgusting to look at.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bumping this because I have been playing through a lot of Indies recently. Slowly getting through the backlog of them.

Basically, my question is, has anyone played any good/great Indies recently? Looking to get some more inspiration.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Bumping this because I have been playing through a lot of Indies recently. Slowly getting through the backlog of them.

Basically, my question is, has anyone played any good/great Indies recently? Looking to get some more inspiration.
I've been completely obsessed with Disco Elysium lately. Not the best polish/performance/accessibility, but one of the few videogames where I think the writing/narrative actually measures up to the heights of other mediums (whereas typically, I feel that a lot of things praised for their storytelling are pretty mediocre outside of the low bar expectations of the medium). Great humor, too.

Also played a bit of Blasphemous, and the sprite art is really impressive (I don't think I've seen a handdrawn 2D game have that many transitional cinematic animated cutscenes), although I'm not the biggest fan of how the controls feel.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anybody play Roki? Is it any good, or just okay? I prefer the art style quite a bit over most 3D indies (including Kena), but it seems like the kind of thing where the experience might be very low-ambition and have limited reward.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Spritfarer - All Platforms
Kena - Bridge of Spirits - PS5

Two magnificent games with excellent writing and gameplay that went under the radar because of bigger games getting the attention.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some people might have the opposite take on this, but I'm a fan of how so many indie games these days are using 3D in a more pastel-y, flat-colored, cartoonish way. Aesthetically, it just looks so much better/holds up more than ultra-realistic AAA 3D, IMO (I wouldn't say the same thing for quality of animation, though).

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

longtime lurker

Dec 4, 2018

I haven't looked through this whole thread so I don't know what's already been recommended, but these are the best indie games I have played recently.

Children of Morta
Cuphead
Death Road to Canada
Dropsy
Enter the Gungeon
Gemini Rue
A Hat in Time
Hollow Knight
Huntdown
Inside
Little Nightmares
Mother Russia Bleeds
Odallus: The Dark Call
Shovel Knight
Stardew Valley
Streets of Rage 4
Technobabylon

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Bumping this thread because I've been playing Cult of the Lamb and while theres no much replayability, it's a 10-12 hours of great fun.

Reactions: pistolpete11

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bumping this thread because I've been playing Cult of the Lamb and while theres no much replayability, it's a 10-12 hours of great fun.
I have heard such good things about this one. Definitely on my list to pick up at some point.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have heard such good things about this one. Definitely on my list to pick up at some point.

It's doesn't have Hades' depth and gameplay, nor Stardew Valleys, but the way it combines both the roguelike and farming sim elements makes it a ton of fun, especially with the crisp controls, the soundtrack and the aesthetics. I mean, how many games let you harvest your followers for meat, make them eat their own poo or murder them in their sleep. If you choose your doctrines wisely, the game rewards brutality. The one thing I'll say is I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for a hardcore roguelike with endless replayability like Dead Cells and Hades. It's not that.

Reactions: robertmac43

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I just started playing this and I'm digging it so far.

Also, PowerWash Simulator is the perfect chill ASMR type game that is soooo fun to play.

Reactions: Andrei79

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Dead Cells
Hades
Undermine (so insanely underrated imho)
Rogue Legacy 2
Hollow Knight
Cuphead
Monster Train
Celeste