Favourite Indie Games of this Generation:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I started playing Tunic, and so far it's fantastic. Sort of what I've wanted out of Zelda franchise. Understands old game design elegance/minimalism/restraint even better than old games do, but without the jankiness. Great music, great art style, great sense of exploration/discovery, challenging. Kind of gives me part of the feeling that Hyper Light Drifter did, only more fully realized. I'm not far enough to get a sense of the story yet, but the way everything's being handled/delivered seems promising. Also love its instruction manual gimmick.

Tunic looks fantastic. I was waiting for it to get on sale on steam. How does it compare to Death's Door?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tunic looks fantastic. I was waiting for it to get on sale on steam. How does it compare to Death's Door?
I could see someone finding Death's Door to be a much smoother and less frustrating experience (it's definitely more normal/typical), but I think Tunic is more restrained, interesting, and uncompromising, personally.

Tunic leans HARD into that get lost and figure it out yourself thing. It makes you earn the feeling of discovery using abstract clues and your gaming literacy as if the game were a mysterious artifact to piece together or something. Personally, I'm finding that very cool so far, but that may not be for everyone.

The combat is a bit more plodding and methodical than I like, though (Death's Door is snappier).

I'm inclined to say that Tunic to Death's Door is kind of like what Inside/Hollow Knight is to Little Nightmares/Ori. That's not 100% accurate, but that's sort of how I look at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Valheim's first big content udpate, the Mistlands, just came out. I'm on the fence whether to get back into it or continue waiting for the game to be complete. That was a long wait for Mistlands though and they still have two biomes to complete.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Anyone tried Chained Echoes ? I'm seeing a lot of positive reviews. The guys at SwitchUp rated it very highly.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Have a Nice death comes out next week. Definitely looking forward to that one.

Any Indies people have liked as of recent?

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Some more good ones I played since this thread was made:

Severed Steel (excellent single-player movement shooter)
Cuphead
Sonic Mania
ULTRAKILL
Into the Breach
Rune Factory 4 Special
PowerWash Simulator

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad