Favourite Indie Games of this Generation:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Honestly, while I'm a fan of Supergiant's work (mostly Pyre - one of the more unique games I've ever played), Hades' style is not normally my thing. I'm usually not a fan of roguelikes/roguelites in general.

However, Hades is very much the exception. It's phenomenal, and actually uses the multiple run/death loop as a storytelling mechanic.

100% recommended from me. It's been in early access since 2018 and they definitely used that time wisely. It skyrocketed into my top three indie games list above and. so far, it is far and away my game of the year for 2020.

I will say, if you're planning to get it on Switch, my advice would be to not use the joycons unless you really hate your hands. :laugh:

Same here. The more I play it, the more I can appreciate it. I'm still not totally sold on the death loop being a great structure to a game, but everything else is great. Combat is tight and is very reminiscent of their older games (at least Bastion); dialogue, story, music, and art style are all tastefully done; creating different builds and unlocks are fun and add depth. I prefer the traditional narrative that Bastion provided, but I can appreciate the direction they went in and it seems to get better as you level up.

I really like that they added the relationship bars for NPCs though (similar to Stardew Valley but more streamlined), that's a good addition to the rogue-lite genre. Hades might be the best rogue-lite that I've played (hard to compare it to a game like Slay the Spire, though), but that's not saying that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Commander Clueless

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Some others that weren't obvious to me:

Torchlight 2 - all this game was lacking was a good storyline with memorable boss fights. They had the basics down, the pet system was great, online co-op, good art style, fun gameplay and more loot-based than Diablo...but the game falls so flat in the 2nd act in the desert.

Rust - I bought it and my shitty macbook couldn't run it, but I will always appreciate it for this video: (even if the guy is a dick for trolling):

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Shovel Knight
Messenger
Papers, Please
Yes, Your Grace
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Surprised I'm the first to mention this)
Super Hot
Katana Zero
A Plague Tale: Innocence (Surprised I'm the first to mention this too)
Divinity: Original Sin (I still need to play 2)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
One that I really liked (don't think it has been mentioned yet) was Firewatch. Really fun experience with mystery and intrigue.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The Witness (surprised nobody mentioned this yet, excellent puzzle game)
VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Superhot
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Not sure if this really counts as an indie game but it was mentioned earlier and is one of the best RPGs ever so I'll allow it)

Personally I'm not much of a fan of Stardew Valley, I prefer to play the old Harvest Moon games it is inspired by.

Last edited:

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Hades is incredible. Might be one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time.

I need to look more into games by the same dev.

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
Favorite platformers in no order:

Outland
Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls
Specter of Torment
Volgarr the Viking
Downwell

I haven't played Celeste yet.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Witness (surprised nobody mentioned this yet, excellent puzzle game)
VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy
Superhot
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Not sure if this really counts as an indie game but it was mentioned earlier and is one of the best RPGs ever so I'll allow it)

Personally I'm not much of a fan of Stardew Valley, I prefer to play the old Harvest Moon games it is inspired by.

**** me, I'm an idiot.

Not just one of the best indie games of this generation, one of the best games period.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Most notable for me, In no particular order:

Amnesia: Dark Descent
Quern: Undying Thought
Rocket League
The Witness

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
I mostly enjoy roguelikes, so I'll list those first:

Risk of Rain 2
Enter the Gungeon
Caveblazers
Dead Cells
Streets of Rogue
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

For other genres:

Road Redemption
Wreckfest
Stardew Valley
Super Mega Baseball 3
Tabletop Simulator
Superhot

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Really enjoyed Firewatch and pretty much all of Supergiant Games' offerings. I think Transistor was my favorite.

Reactions: robertmac43

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been playing Bomb Chicken, and it's an absolute gem that's completely flown under the radar. It puts on a clinic in clever minimalist mechanics and game design, not to mention sprite-work. You can tell that it's not a AAA production-- it keeps things VERY simple and doesn't have any plot/lore (yet anyways), but it completely nails the simplest things that matter most, IMO.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just played through the first couple chapters of Kentucky Route Zero and I absolutely love it. Maybe the best example of "videogames as art" that I've come across yet, the first time the "visual novel" idea has felt like more than just a gimmicky limitation/escapist play-thing that excuses lack of real game mechanics (which this game has zero interest in as well, but makes a better case for that being preferrable), and sort of the perfect counterpoint to everything that I dislike and have complained about open world games (closed, personal, carefully crafted and directed experiences can be infinitely more effective and satisfying than limitlessly customizable/self-tailored ones that just come across as masturbatory to me-- illusion of choice is actually more powerful than actual choice, IMO). Really visually striking, tasteful, contemplative, unsettling/surreal/thoughtful in all the right ways. I wish more games were like this. Really makes me want to give Disco Elysium a shot too.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Slay the Spire. Every run is unique and there are so many viable strategies to win. I only play the first three characters. From what I’ve heard(though it’s been a while since I played), the fourth character is pretty OP and ghat doesn’t sound fun in a game that’s all about the struggle.

Reactions: Saskatoon

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
One game I can't believe I forgot to add to my list:

The music alone makes it an all-timer for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad