Favourite Indie Games of this Generation:

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Andor's Trail is independent still in development and can be played while they still develope it, there online community forum where you can make suggestions on how they can improve game.

Andor's Trail - Index page
Andor's Trail Directory v0.7.13

I been playing this for over a year trying to collect all these legendary items etc, and it still fun especially when they release new updates and new items etc.
Will be playing this game for years since it still being developed while we play it, it is free and open source.

Free to download from f-droid and Google Play or from their website.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think I posted this in an almost identical thread, but Disco Elysium is not only one of the best Indie Games ever, but is also in the running for best RPG ever, period, IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No mention of Blazing Chrome?
Haven't played it, but I'm very curious about it. It looks like a cool homage to a specific niche, but does it hold up as an actual great game that transcends its influences? I think Contra has a certain charm, but I don't know if I find it a particularly deep game.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Haven't played it, but I'm very curious about it. It looks like a cool homage to a specific niche, but does it hold up as an actual great game that transcends its influences? I think Contra has a certain charm, but I don't know if I find it a particularly deep game.

Arcade styled games are ultimately as deep as we want them to be.

Do you just want to finish it? Want to go for a 1 credit clear? A 1 life clear? Me? I am a 1 CC guy. Not willing to learn enough of a game to 1 life clear it (though sometimes it happens), but I like going for 1 credit clears. Reminds me of being a kid when I only had so many quarters to feed the beast.

Blazing Chrome nails all of this. The game hands out extends like candy. I was able to 1 CC it on normal and hard. The gameplay is tight, the graphics are fantastic, and the ost fits the game like a glove.

It's not as good as Hard Corps (but what is?), but for a small dev team it is damn close and damn impressive. And it will probably be the best Run n' Gun we see for some time.

Steel Assault looks promising though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Arcade styled games are ultimately as deep as we want them to be.

Do you just want to finish it? Want to go for a 1 credit clear? A 1 life clear? Me? I am a 1 CC guy. Not willing to learn enough of a game to 1 life clear it (though sometimes it happens), but I like going for 1 credit clears. Reminds me of being a kid when I only had so many quarters to feed the beast.

Blazing Chrome nails all of this. The game hands out extends like candy. I was able to 1 CC it on normal and hard. The gameplay is tight, the graphics are fantastic, and the ost fits the game like a glove.

It's not as good as Hard Corps (but what is?), but for a small dev team it is damn close and damn impressive. And it will probably be the best Run n' Gun we see for some time.

Steel Assault looks promising though.
I'm very skeptical of that sentiment. It isn't a given that something's deep and interesting just because enough constraints are given to make it legitimately challenging in a fun way. That seems like giving arcade style games as a whole too much credit. I've done the whole beating your head against a wall until you overcome a tough arcade game on limited credits thing and it can be fun and rewarding, but it doesn't always make me realize that it's a richer and more rewarding game than I thought. A lot of that still depends on mechanics and design.

Are you sure you're not trying to say that this one just happens to be an example that works that way? Because that would be more understandable.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Are you sure you're not trying to say that this one just happens to be an example that works that way? Because that would be more understandable.

No. In fact BC on normal is one of the easier games I have cleared. It is quite fair, and designed well. You're never underpowered, in fact the standard rifle is suitable for a good chunk of the game.

That said BC doesn't do anything new. but what it does it does well.

You can also choose the order of the first four stages like Gunstar Heroes. There is a slight difficulty spike on stage three, but that is not uncommon in games like this. There is also a hidden character that turns the game into Strider if you like Strider. I don't, but it is cool that it is there.

Out of curiosity what are some games like this that you have enjoyed? Perhaps I can steer you towards something else?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No. In fact BC on normal is one of the easier games I have cleared. It is quite fair, and designed well. You're never underpowered, in fact the standard rifle is suitable for a good chunk of the game.

That said BC doesn't do anything new. but what it does it does well.

You can also choose the order of the first four stages like Gunstar Heroes. There is a slight difficulty spike on stage three, but that is not uncommon in games like this. There is also a hidden character that turns the game into Strider if you like Strider. I don't, but it is cool that it is there.

Out of curiosity what are some games like this that you have enjoyed? Perhaps I can steer you towards something else?
I don't think that's necessary-- we're just talking out loud here. I enjoy the genre as a whole, I just find the most common examples very limited, so I was wondering if Blazing Chrome is any better than that or stands out from the pack in any way. It's fine if it isn't, not everything has to be, but I'd disagree with the sentiment that arcade games are as deep as you want them to be, just based on manual difficulty constraints. I've done the Contra 3 thing on limited credits and hardest difficulty, and that's kind of what I came out of it feeling. Same with Cuphead and Gunstar Heroes. Also, while I absolutely ADORE the aesthetic of something like Metal Slug (probably some of the best visuals I've ever seen), I similarly didn't find the gameplay itself brilliant or anything.

I feel that way even more about something like Beat'em Ups, which seem way more limited than even that, from what I've played. For example, that Scott Pilgrim release looks aesthetically very cool, but it's probably going to just be a limited and modest fun time and not much more, right?

Maybe you feel differently about some of these genres, but that's just me.

I do, however, feel that occassionally, you'll find exceptions within traditional Arcade-y genres that break their mold and transcend the genre, standing out as legitimately great and deep games even if you're underwhelmed by the genre, like for me personally, Ikaruga and Windjammers blew me away in that manner, so I was just wondering if there was any semblance of anything like that in Blazing Chrome. You could hate a precision platformer like Super Meat Boy but find Celeste masterful, for example.

You're making me curious about how good Hard Corps is, though. Haven't played that one. Is it that much better than the other Contras, and in what way?

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I don't think that's necessary-- we're just talking out loud here. I enjoy the genre as a whole, I just find the most common examples very limited, so I was wondering if Blazing Chrome is any better than that or stands out from the pack in any way. It's fine if it isn't, not everything has to be, but I'd disagree with the sentiment that arcade games are as deep as you want them to be, just based on manual difficulty constraints. I've done the Contra 3 thing on limited credits and hardest difficulty, and that's kind of what I came out of it feeling. Same with Cuphead and Gunstar Heroes. Also, while I absolutely ADORE the aesthetic of something like Metal Slug (probably some of the best visuals I've ever seen), I similarly didn't find the gameplay itself brilliant or anything.

I feel that way even more about something like Beat'em Ups, which seem way more limited than even that, from what I've played. For example, that Scott Pilgrim release looks aesthetically very cool, but it's probably going to just be a limited and modest fun time and not much more, right?

Maybe you feel differently about some of these genres, but that's just me.

I do, however, feel that occassionally, you'll find exceptions within traditional Arcade-y genres that break their mold and transcend the genre, standing out as legitimately great and deep games even if you're underwhelmed by the genre, like for me personally, Ikaruga and Windjammers blew me away in that manner, so I was just wondering if there was any semblance of anything like that in Blazing Chrome. You could hate a precision platformer like Super Meat Boy but find Celeste masterful, for example.

You're making me curious about how good Hard Corps is, though. Haven't played that one. Is it that much better than the other Contras, and in what way?

I put some time into Scott Pilgrim when it was first released. It's a nice homage to River City Ransom.

Re - Beat em' Ups. I like them, but I don't love them like some do. I've put a lot of time into the Streets of Rage series over the years - 2, Remake, and 4 most notably, but I won't be clearing it on mania any time ever. It isn't a genre a play often though. Maybe for a month out of the year I'll play here and there and then go back to my usual.

That said I adore the original Kung Fu Master/Spartan X. I prefer left/right movement with a constant stream of pressure as opposed to moving in and out of the screen. More recent than KFM though...have you played The Ninja Warriors Once Again by chance?

Hard Corps is a solid Contra. The 2nd half (branching paths) of the game is way better than the 1st half, but it is so good I don't mind that the 1st half of the game is weaker. I happen to like it a lot though because it is so good when it hits stride. It nails the I'm in an 80's movie feeling.

I haven't put too much time into 3, but pretty much everyone in my usual gaming circle that has played both to death says 3 is the superior game.

For what it's I've quite enjoyed your thoughts on this.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I just started playing Disco Elysium the other day and I can already tell it's one of the best games I've ever played
It's absolutely brilliant. Instantly one of my favorite games and one of the best RPGs ever made, period. I was waiting for them to fully fix the missing voice acting bugs before continuing though. Does anyone know if it's a complete experience now, with no missing voices?

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
It's absolutely brilliant. Instantly one of my favorite games and one of the best RPGs ever made, period. I was waiting for them to fully fix the missing voice acting bugs before continuing though. Does anyone know if it's a complete experience now, with no missing voices?

I haven't experienced any missing voices so far

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ interesting, maybe they've fixed it.
I put some time into Scott Pilgrim when it was first released. It's a nice homage to River City Ransom.

Re - Beat em' Ups. I like them, but I don't love them like some do. I've put a lot of time into the Streets of Rage series over the years - 2, Remake, and 4 most notably, but I won't be clearing it on mania any time ever. It isn't a genre a play often though. Maybe for a month out of the year I'll play here and there and then go back to my usual.

That said I adore the original Kung Fu Master/Spartan X. I prefer left/right movement with a constant stream of pressure as opposed to moving in and out of the screen. More recent than KFM though...have you played The Ninja Warriors Once Again by chance?

Hard Corps is a solid Contra. The 2nd half (branching paths) of the game is way better than the 1st half, but it is so good I don't mind that the 1st half of the game is weaker. I happen to like it a lot though because it is so good when it hits stride. It nails the I'm in an 80's movie feeling.

I haven't put too much time into 3, but pretty much everyone in my usual gaming circle that has played both to death says 3 is the superior game.

For what it's I've quite enjoyed your thoughts on this.
I played the original Ninja Warriors, but not the remaster-- very cool and impressive for its time, love the aesthetic-- kind of similar to how I feel about something like Wild Guns. Is the remaster noticably different? As far as Beat'em-ups go, something like Turtles in Time/Streets of Rage 2 are treated like absolute classics, but while they polish everything up and make it aesthetically satisfying, I feel like there still isn't really a whole lot going on in there that's all that substantive. Seems like there's not all that much you can do with that genre.

Generally, I feel like the better Metroidvanias and precision platformers feel a lot deeper than than the best Contra-style games, but I think there's potential to take the genre to new heights that nobody's really attempted yet, so I'm crossing my fingers for that (I think the look and feel of that genre is a brilliant basis for a game, at least).

Similarly, as far as Arcade-style games go, Beat'em Ups feel very bare bones and uninteresting to me, especially compared to the bottomless depth of the best 2D arcade 1v1 fighting games. I actually don't feel like there's that much potential there.

---

On another tangent, it sure feels like we're on the cusp of the Ninja Gaiden-esque genre evolving into something more deep and interesting, with games like The Messenger (minus the half-assed Metroidvania stuff they shoehorned in there) and Cyber Shadow doing some really cool things with the format. I'm hearing alot of underwhelmed reception to the latter, but I think it's a really solid game that people are sleeping on (I like it alot more than The Messenger, personally).

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
^ interesting, maybe they've fixed it.
I played the original Ninja Warriors, but not the remaster-- very cool and impressive for its time, love the aesthetic-- kind of similar to how I feel about something like Wild Guns. Is the remaster noticably different?

Generally, I feel like the better Metroidvanias and precision platformers feel a lot deeper than than the best Contra-style games, but I think there's potential to take the genre to new heights that nobody's really attempted yet, so I'm crossing my fingers for that (I think the look and feel of that genre is a brilliant basis for a game, at least).

Similarly, as far as Arcade-style games go, Beat'em Ups feel very bare bones and uninteresting to me, especially compared to the bottomless depth of the best 2D arcade 1v1 fighting games. I actually don't feel like there's that much potential there.

On another tangent, it sure feels like we're on the cusp of the Ninja Gaiden-esque genre evolving into something more deep and interesting, with games like The Messenger (minus the half-assed Metroidvania stuff they shoehorned in there) and Cyber Shadow doing some really cool things with the format. I'm hearing alot of underwhelmed reception to the latter, but I think it's a really solid game that people are sleeping on (I like it alot more than The Messenger, personally).

In my opinion Bionic Commando Rearmed is the only other remaster that got as much right as Ninja Warriors Once Again. Easily in my top three of 2019. They added a fair amount to it, here is from the Wiki:
-
Ninja Saviors is a full remake of the original SNES title, with all sprites and backgrounds redrawn and the playing field being enlarged to fit a 16:9 screen ratio, becoming closer to the Arcade game. The gameplay mechanics remain the same but they also got expanded, with all characters receiving new moves, some of which consume power, and juggling being given more emphasis this time. The main addition of this version is a local two player co-op mode, with both players sharing the same lifebar and power meter.
The three characters from the SNES version, Kunoichi, Ninja and Kamaitachi, return, with two new characters, Yaksha and Raiden, being added to this version. Both new characters need to be unlocked by beating the game once. This version also makes the Kunoichi and Monkey enemies available at the same time regardless of the region, and adds a new drone-like enemy.
The soundtrack features a rearrangement of the SNES soundtrack, as well as the original Arcade soundtrack composed by Zuntata, which can be unlocked by beating the game and enabled in the options.
-
It looks and sounds fantastic and it plays amazingly. Everything they added was for the better and the two new characters feel like they could have been in the game from the beginning. I don't particularly care for Kamatachi (he still looks as bad ass as every), but Ninja, Kunoichi, and Yaksha are all effective yet markedly different from one another. Yaksha especially is a lot of fun to play as.

Raiden is another beast all together, haven't put much time in with him. I give this game my absolute highest recommendation.

Agree with your points on Beat em' Ups Vs. Fighters. I am biased though and have played SF on and off since its release. I love me some Super Turbo (not total trash at it) and 3rd Strike (I am trash:)

The Messenger - I don't think anything I say about The Messenger will surprise you - 1st half was better. 2nd half was good (I didn't mind it as much as some). Game could have definitely used a few more enemies. That said if it was straight more like Ninja Gaiden I would have played it more. They should have done the same thing, just let you play the stages back to back, I think that would have massively increased it's replay ability.

Cyber Shadow - Probably the same complaints. I didn't like that the trailer shows you on stage 1 with all those sweet moves and then you start and it's like "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY DASH?!"

I did complete it, but it got a little too platform heavy towards the end and I feel the combat was one of its greatest strengths. It reminded me a lot of the NES Batman in its graphics and presentation. And that first boss bgm was amazing. Should have been every bosses music.

I think it is a very well made game. It reminds me a lot of Natsume's Shadow of the Ninja, but kind of missed the mark for me.

I think I will give it another go.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Neat. I'll look into Ninja Saviors (kind of surprised you're saying that they re-drew everything-- those sprites look very similar to what I remember). I don't think The Messenger or Cyber Shadow are outright great games either (I DESPISED the try-hard meta-humor of The Messenger), but I'm at least seeing a trend that looks promising to me that makes me want to see more takes on the genre in the future.

3rd Strike is absolutely brilliant, IMO. Garou: Mark of the Wolves is too-- maybe the best sprite art ever, IMO.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Yes! Garou is equally amazing and I am equally as bad at it.

Here are a few examples of the new sprites/animations in NWOA:

The Ninja Warriors: Once Again coming west

5th post down does a nice job of showing what the team was going for. They did this with the entire game. There are also a few trailers on the page as well if you haven't seen them.

The only reason I would play the SNES version over the remake would be if I didn't have access to the remake.

And I really like the SNES version.

This talk has me wanting to play it now.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
Man is it a hard game with a steep learning curve. I want to get back into it after trying it for a week, but I fear I will need to restart or get absolutely destroyed.
I'd restart, but I'm on my 4th playthrough (hardcore all negatives), so I'm kind of addicted. Lol

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Hollow Knight is one of the best Metroidvanias ever made. The fact that it's 15$ is nuts. Complete masterpiece that takes at least 50 hours to do everything the first time.
I will admit this game has a ton of content, but I absolutely freaking despise the dark souls mechanics they put into this game. The walk back to soul master especially is an absolute freaking nightmare and theres so many boring empty hallways. Whats even more insulting is the devs claim they never played dark souls (lol). I also hate the flash art style.

Also, once you find out about the dreamers, I found it almost impossible to find where they were despite being marked on the map. I never bothered to look at a guide and just put the game down, I'm sure I'll pick the game up again at some point.

All that said, I would not dislike this game nearly as much if they have more benches and better fast travel.
No mention of Blazing Chrome?

I like this game a lot although I never beat it.

For me I'm not the biggest indie guy, but far and away my favorite indie game is Furi. I just haven't seen another game like it and its a very accessible game for its high difficulty imo.

My runner up is probably The Touryst (In fact I might rate it above Furi).

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Looked at Furi over the weekend. A few people I know have played it and speak highly of it and it is definitely in my wheel house. Didn't pull the trigger just yet, but your recommendation might put me over the top.

Been messing with Hotline Miami 1 and 2 again. Finished both a few times, I'm not stellar at them, but the game play is aces and the story is really good despite it being uh...uplifting.

Before any of that I have a Ninja Warriors itch that I need to scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->