Favourite flawed EA NHL logic

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Found a new random bug/glitch(?). I typically simulate most of the games, only actually playing a few (season opener, Xmas, New Years, etc.)

So the game thinks my goalie is on a 3-game shutout streak currently, even though he was on a five-game losing streak. The only three games that were shutouts we’re the ones that I played. The game makes no sense.

EA Sports, it's in the game. .....Except for when it's not, which is always.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Found a new random bug/glitch(?). I typically simulate most of the games, only actually playing a few (season opener, Xmas, New Years, etc.)

So the game thinks my goalie is on a 3-game shutout streak currently, even though he was on a five-game losing streak. The only three games that were shutouts we’re the ones that I played. The game makes no sense.
I see that all the time. Sometimes it will say my goalie has been on a multi game shut out streak when one of the games was a loss, or when I haven't had a shut out at all.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I love the different Be A Pro career statistics that pop up on screen. In my rookie year it showed I had 1421 career points, then 270, and then this year I had 0 and it showed me making my NHL debut.

Also for some reason I cannot stop getting seriously injured. In my 2 year CHL career and 2 year NHL career I’ve suffered 7 major injuries (3 months or more). Hell I was out with an ACL tear when I was drafted which caused me to drop from top 5 to a late 1st.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
Having an option for no play-by-play name for Created Teams, forcing people to pick a random play-by-play name for created players

Bonus Points: They had the no play-by-play name option for Created Players a few years ago and randomly took it out!

For a while, there was a very Russian sounding name (I forget which one) that you could pick for created players that the in-game announcers would ignore. However, they fixed that recently.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
In NHL 20 it drives me nuts that they can't do simple math. When my goalie in a 3-2 regulation win has a 2.21 GAA, I am baffled.

GAA is based on minutes played in the net. Any time spent pulled due to an upcoming penalty is time they’re not playing in net. So this makes it that the goalie was in for ~58 minutes, so the GAA is now naturally higher.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I think NHL 2020 might have a new "hero" scripting too. If one of your worse players gets a goal.. He seems very likely to get another... and another... and another..
i am almost always more horrified of the 4th line guy when he is on the ice. i played a playoff series, and mind you it was 2022, jussi jokinen was playing top 6 on tampa and he had like 6 points in 6 games. everytime he touched the ice i was terrified he was going to score.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I had this happen numerous times where a PK forward group was the same player twice.

And a new one - on a penalty kill and it said a total random even strength forward line show up during a faceoff with only 2 forwards, and none of the players out there matched what it said as being out there.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
GM firing only being on in Dynasty mode if you have owner mode on. Because firstly, I hate the amount of micromanaging in owner mode, and two, I've never understood how it makes sense that you can't be fired if you're just the GM, but if you're the "owner" you can be fired. Been annoyed by this for years. Miss the old days where your GM contract would run up, and you could either sign an extension, or sign as a different teams GM

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I have too many to list that I forget them and just accept it as part of the game, buttttt.

I was just playing NHL 21, completely dummied a guy behind my net, by the time I turned around with my defenceman *.1 seconds btw, he had gotten up, grabbed the puck and dished it into the slot to assist on a goal.

IN .1 SECONDS. I'm sick of playing this game and when you're beating them or even tied the computer goes god mode for .2 seconds about 3 times a game. That doesn't make it fun, it wasn't deserved, it's a joke. EA has been a joke for years, I'll still buy it, I'll still play it, but God I can't wait until another company tries to compete against them and we might actually get a good game.

Now having said that I will say the A.I is actually noticeably better this year.

I'm playing my 10 hour free trial and I can't even open a pack of cards it keeps freezing on some stupid animation and I see nothing, I've hard reset my PS4 and redownloaded it, EA is a joke, can't even get their greedy money maker mode to work properly.

Anyways, end rant.

Reactions: ManWithNoName

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I love the different Be A Pro career statistics that pop up on screen. In my rookie year it showed I had 1421 career points, then 270, and then this year I had 0 and it showed me making my NHL debut.

Also for some reason I cannot stop getting seriously injured. In my 2 year CHL career and 2 year NHL career I’ve suffered 7 major injuries (3 months or more). Hell I was out with an ACL tear when I was drafted which caused me to drop from top 5 to a late 1st.

What I did was put human injuries to 0. You don't get injured that way.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I wish I could've recorded this.

Defenseman breaks his stick trying to clear it out in our zone - which is ok. He somehow gets himself frozen behind the net, stuck pinning the boards, making a 5-on-3 turn into a 5-on-2 o_O:rolleyes::eek::confused::oops:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
NHL 95. No fighting, but you can make their heads bleed!

Also, wraparounds work 99% of the time. So do one timers the dots.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
When EA can’t have the active rosters and free agents put on the correct teams until weeks after the NHL starts it’s actual season.

It's like that again this year. And since the season won't start until January..it's gonna be awhile D:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I have too many to list that I forget them and just accept it as part of the game, buttttt.

I was just playing NHL 21, completely dummied a guy behind my net, by the time I turned around with my defenceman *.1 seconds btw, he had gotten up, grabbed the puck and dished it into the slot to assist on a goal.

IN .1 SECONDS. I'm sick of playing this game and when you're beating them or even tied the computer goes god mode for .2 seconds about 3 times a game. That doesn't make it fun, it wasn't deserved, it's a joke. EA has been a joke for years, I'll still buy it, I'll still play it, but God I can't wait until another company tries to compete against them and we might actually get a good game.

Now having said that I will say the A.I is actually noticeably better this year.

I'm playing my 10 hour free trial and I can't even open a pack of cards it keeps freezing on some stupid animation and I see nothing, I've hard reset my PS4 and redownloaded it, EA is a joke, can't even get their greedy money maker mode to work properly.

Anyways, end rant.
That has been a thing for years. If you actually want a takeaway from the CPU opposition, you have to make about 3-4 hits and 3-4 pokechecks in a row. Then maybe you will win the puck over. You have to work alot with the sliders to make the game more realistic and even that won't help.

I've just given up at this point, it's not fun to play.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
In franchise on NHL 20 signing your own free agents is much cheaper if you let them go to UFA...

Player demands $7m in contract signing phase, did not accept 5,5... I let him walk and his estimated value is 4,7 and he happily signs for 5...

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Add injuries to the never-ending list.

I genuinely felt bad for this laying this hit. My 5'8 defender somehow became Chara and smashed the player from behind. The player instantly dropped and became injured. I never saw anything anything like it. Typically I've noticed when I hit players from behind, they somehow get right back up with no big deal. I took my Game Misconduct with my head down until I saw the injury.. Broken Foot? From a hit from behind? :confused:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Started up a franchise mode when I got NHL 21, one month in The Rangers offered me Jack Johnson for John Marino, P-O Joseph, and I think 2 picks. every day right up to the deadline.

......Yeah, if I didn't want the frigging guy back the first time, why would I want him the next 50+ times?
What I used to love even more is when you had a GM Reputation to worry about. Then the computer would make you a ton of really shitty trade offers and everytime you'd turn them down your GM Rep would take a dive. Likewise you could make a really good offer, they'd decline and your Rep would go even further down the shitter.

Reactions: hmc1987

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I love it took 6 years for EA to figure out Bryan Rust wasn't a center nor played center at any level of organized hockey, he was a RW for the US Development Team, drafted as a RW, a RW with the Fighting Irish, a RW for the Baby Pens, played both wings for the NHL Pens(mostly RW but some LW here and there). How they got center out of that is beyond me.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

the main reason you get injured is because the game lets the CPU gang bang you even after you already passed the puck away. Seems like this happens every time you are basically the star player status. Where you get charged at by opposing players that go out of position for a full force hit on you constantly. Oh yeah and your dumb AI teammates pass you the puck back literally after you passed it because all the traffic was heading towards you. It also doesn't help when AIs can dumpster you with basically no momentum despite not even being a big player most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad