Favourite flawed EA NHL logic

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Most flawed is not having it released on Nintendo but they prioritize the Xbox for whatever reason.

The Switch was released 4 years after the Xbox One and has more units sold. Maybe prioritize the the console that does better???

But much like a terrible NHL team who are looking to become better you need to get rid of the deadweight/incompetence and it all starts at the top. They need to get rid of Ramjagsingh the guy has been recycling the same game over and over for years and maybe adding something major in, what? Once every 5 years? And they refuse to work with other platforms. You’re basically paying 80 bucks for a roster update.

If I was a mechanic and I told my boss I’ll only work strictly on just Toyota’s and Honda’s and no other vehicle brands that came into the shop, would i still have a job? Probably not.

I’m simply not buying the excuse that they can’t release the game for more consoles and PC, NBA 2K20 and FIFA 20 both made it to the Google Stadia, yes the STADIA a platform nobody gives a shit about yet they still made it playable on that platform.

Reactions: Taro Tsujimoto

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Not sure if it can still be done in NHL 20, but at least until NHL 18. In franchise mode during the draft you could trade worse picks for better picks straight up, as long as your pick was green (the other team wants it) and their pick was red (the other team wants to give it up). This even worked on hard trade difficulty.

There was obviously still a limit on how far apart the picks could be and it got bigger the later the round you were in. I also think the picks had to come from the same round. But this led to some pretty funny trades that make zero sense. Things like pick #18 for pick #16, pick #47 for pick # 41, or pick #118 for pick #107.

It completely blows my mind how the trade logic could be this bad. Kind of shows how little effort they put in to some areas of the game
Nope. NHL 20 actually has a decently challenging trade engine on Hard difficulty. Sometimes it's a bit too much (where you can really offload a lot of high end stuff and still can't nab a pick or something like that) but overall they've made it a lot more realistic. I only play with it on hard though.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Nope. NHL 20 actually has a decently challenging trade engine on Hard difficulty. Sometimes it's a bit too much (where you can really offload a lot of high end stuff and still can't nab a pick or something like that) but overall they've made it a lot more realistic. I only play with it on hard though.
Only way you’ll get good lol

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Half the forwards in the game play the wrong position, Colin White of Ottawa has zero career statistics while having something like a 2 million dollar contract, stars are useless and get out preformed by 3rd/4th liners, AHL players wanting 9 million dollar contracts after scoring 9 points, getting offered a 12th forward, an 8th defensemen, and if I'm lucky enough a 7th round pick in 5 years for my best players.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
How during contract negotiations you can tell if a player is going to pan out, because even with 0 NHL games they demand a 5+mil a year salary coming off their elc.
Or how You

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
How during contract negotiations you can tell if a player is going to pan out, because even with 0 NHL games they demand a 5+mil a year salary coming off their elc.
Or how You

This isn’t always accurate. I re-signed Tage Thompson to an 8 year, 1.25M contract and he’s currently raking. 20-25 goals a season playing 3rd/4th line.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
This isn’t always accurate. I re-signed Tage Thompson to an 8 year, 1.25M contract and he’s currently raking. 20-25 goals a season playing 3rd/4th line.
Really?
I had a guy put up 50p in the ahl when his elc expired demand 13mil a season.
He was rated like 77/78 at the time .
I've never had any players even in the mid 70s that sign long term cheaper contracts pan out to their potential.
They might be OK 4th liners but you can't get a young player in a top6 role
To sign any kind of length for an affordable deal.
I even tested it.
I put Alexis laf(I forget how it's spelled)
In the CHL for the first few years then the ahl until his elc expired.
He is rated something like 82oa. But was sub ppg in the AHL.
Never played an NHL game and wants 6mil a year at his cheapest and over 8 at his highest.
If you wait then out in rfa they typically get offsheeted.
Granted typically during the years of that contract they're worth what they are demanding but the salary seems to be influenced by the number they will be which the game has already assigned them regardless of what you do to hamper /impact their development

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Really?
I had a guy put up 50p in the ahl when his elc expired demand 13mil a season.
He was rated like 77/78 at the time .
I've never had any players even in the mid 70s that sign long term cheaper contracts pan out to their potential.
They might be OK 4th liners but you can't get a young player in a top6 role
To sign any kind of length for an affordable deal.
I even tested it.
I put Alexis laf(I forget how it's spelled)
In the CHL for the first few years then the ahl until his elc expired.
He is rated something like 82oa. But was sub ppg in the AHL.
Never played an NHL game and wants 6mil a year at his cheapest and over 8 at his highest.
If you wait then out in rfa they typically get offsheeted.
Granted typically during the years of that contract they're worth what they are demanding but the salary seems to be influenced by the number they will be which the game has already assigned them regardless of what you do to hamper /impact their development

It really depends on the player. I currently am paying Kahun 9.5M per, and Olofsson 6.5M per. The latter is an 89, the former is only an 86. I really don’t pay attention to the AHL stats because that really varies too much (like if your team is in a division with mostly NHL backups or veteran teams then your team will suck if you keep it as a development place).

Either way, I’ll negotiate renewals with my RFA during the year, re-sign period, and then give them a QO. If they get offersheeted then I just dump them to a crappy team for picks, because the team giving the offersheet is always a contender for some reason. Otherwise I’ll make them hold out until the accept a number I want.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
MVIMG_20200816_113952.jpg

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Just played some BAP now and we won the Stanley Cup in game 7.

We won 4-3 after I scored 3 goals and had 2 hits in the game.

For my heroics I was rewarded the game 3rd best player whilst the player voted the games mvp had 2 assists and 4 hits..

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Found a new one. If you do season mode with more than one team, only the first team alphabetically will get trade offers from the computer.

Winnipeg is considered 2nd alphabetically because they are the same team as the Atlanta Thrashers, instead of a new one. Arizona is in between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh alphabetically because they used to be Phoenix.

This tells me that the ID for each team was generated in alphabetical order probably in NHL 07, and hasn't been updated since.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So.. I played Be a Pro on NHL 18.

I was second in the OHL scoring, first in goal scoring on the Windsor Spitfires. About 25-30 points ahead of the third guy, who was my linemate.

Got drafted in the middle of the second round.

Scored a bunch of goals, but a stretch of five (!) games where I only averaged 0,75 points per game gave me my permanent place on the third line. I finished second for the Ross and Richard and won the calder.

Asked for a trade after the season because I just couldn't see myself navigating through the team constantly playing me on the third line even though I was the only goal scorer on my team.

Got traded to Buffalo for a 4th rounder (!).

How can my trade value been so darn low?

Into the last 20 games of my second season and they demoted me to the second line on a season where I average a goal a game whilst Eichel, the second leading scorer is slightly below PPG....

I've been told scoring isn't everything... perhaps you are a lazy, one-dimensional, selfish winger? :sarcasm:

Admittedly, I haven't played BAP in a long time, but I do recall it was pretty ruthless with respect to "team play" and that factored heavily into valuation.

Even still a prima-donna with stats like you should still be valued far higher, it makes no sense.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Found a new one. If you do season mode with more than one team, only the first team alphabetically will get trade offers from the computer.

Winnipeg is considered 2nd alphabetically because they are the same team as the Atlanta Thrashers, instead of a new one. Arizona is in between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh alphabetically because they used to be Phoenix.

This tells me that the ID for each team was generated in alphabetical order probably in NHL 07, and hasn't been updated since.

I think this tells you everything you need to know about this development team.

One of my biggest beefs is the lack of logic in the menu navigation. On some screens "A" is forward/execute and "B" is back/menu... on another screen it will be reverse... sometimes L1 is "league", on another screen it will be "Team"... they just can't agree on a logical implementation of navigation.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Having an option for no play-by-play name for Created Teams, forcing people to pick a random play-by-play name for created players

Bonus Points: They had the no play-by-play name option for Created Players a few years ago and randomly took it out!

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Mikael Granlund has also done something to someone at EA. Every game for the PS something is missing, play by play name or in-game-face...

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Found a new random bug/glitch(?). I typically simulate most of the games, only actually playing a few (season opener, Xmas, New Years, etc.)

So the game thinks my goalie is on a 3-game shutout streak currently, even though he was on a five-game losing streak. The only three games that were shutouts we’re the ones that I played. The game makes no sense.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad